Does anyone even play Board Games anymore?

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
As is the case when in any position of power, when you have control of the board you start making deals with the less wealthy people. Of course all these deals are for your own ends, by the time the game is coming to a close 3 hours later, everyone on the board owes you money and the only choices left is to rage quit or give me all your property. Oh yea i aim to back stab everyone playing.
And that's when it's the most fun, making deals and backstabbing everyone is the greatest with Monopoly. It's in the name, you aim to gain monopoly. And how do you do that? Well, by beeing the smartest and coldest bastard in the room. When someone win a lot of money from me......I don't say anything. I just play it cool, even when I'm on the money gaining side. Everyone who knows me well enough knows that I always have a plan to win ^^

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
I do. My friends and I get together and play Munchkin and Last Night on Earth. Their pretty fun. Then about two weeks ago My friend made us sit down and play a game of Axis and Allies. While I have a degree in history so WWII is something that is interesting, I couldn't sit through more than 3 turns of that game. It took forever!

I also do the monopoly/uno/checkers and everything, but I doubt they count because I play them at work with the kids. They don't play right usually and its more of a challenge just to get them to know whose turn it is and how to count right. :)

Husky.Gnoll

Mar 10, 2009
I love board games,
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Circus Imperial
The Settlers of Catan
Zombies!!!
Kill Doctor Lucky
Warhammer
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Dungeon & Dragons

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I don't play board games that often, that is not to say I don't enjoy them, I love a rousing game of Monopoly or to test ones grammar knowledge with Scrabble, Even a game of Chess can be found as entertaining.

I just don't seem to play them anymore.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
Risk
Axis and Allies
Empire Builder
EuroRails
Monopoly :)

My family is kinda board game crazy. Which is awesome :D

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I play scrabble with my dad during the school holidays. I finally beat him last summer!

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
I actually just remarked to a friend the other day how long it had been since I played a board game so he and his finance and I got a game of Risk going and it was quite fun, will have to do it more often

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
Chess... because I'm that cool!

But it seems like we always end up playing an epic game of Risk when we are drunk and bored at my house. But of course anytime we play Risk everyone just ends up pissed off at each other. And yet we never learn to just not play... or to not get drunk at my house cause its SHIT!

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I play my own version of Momopaly with a group of about 8 friends whenever we have a party. We have a "meeting room" where we discus trading and bartering of land properties. So pretty much if I own the railyard for instance and someone els wants it, they will put down a certain amoumnt of money to buy it from me, if another person wants it we go into the meeting room to discus who will buy it for the most. The game lasts a while its really fun.

Other than that I just play card games like ERS (best game in the world) or BS.

bitemarx

Oct 8, 2009
Arkham Horror is an amazing board game, as is Last Night on Earth (which is a Zombie survival game). If you like the show, I highly recommend the Battlestar Galactica board game.

I still play Scrabble, Monopoly, Apples to Apples, and Yahztee.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Table Top, hell to the yes.

Board games, I still play Apples to Apples, Monopoly, Risk, Chess, Clue, and Cranium.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Puerto Rico (or was it Sao Paulo?), Domain, Bohnanza (card game, this one - "To bean or not to bean?")...

Hell yeah, board or tabletop games RRRRRROCK (rrrrroll that R!)!!!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I still partake in a Risk game or two every year for nostalgia purposes. Once upon a time, the gang and I (seriously, I was in a gang at one point) would bust out the Risk board, some whiskey and/or tequila, and throw on Snatch and attempt to conquer the board. What great times.

I still play Chess and Scrabble online as well, but not too often anymore.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
I play Monopoly but it always ends in a huge argument. I don't know, something about that 3 hour mark and everyone is just tired of playing. I've never finished a game I don't think, because it always, without fail, deteriorates into an argument over something stupid.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
I haven't played board games in years with the exception of once or twice via MSN. I do still enjoy Monopoly, Chess and the like. Awesome games I ought to look into once again.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Occasionally, but my friends always want to play Zombies!!!, while I prefer Star Wars RISK Clone Wars Edition.

Haven't tried it in combination with alcohol, though. I think that's just asking for accidents to happen.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I used to be baffled by their continued existence. Then I found out that all board games weren't Monopoly.

I really like the genre known as German board games; they tend to emphasize skill-based gameplay using a variety of interesting mechanics over anything else.

Good ones tend to lead to a lot more balanced and interesting decisions than most video games do, actually. They can't use reflexes and don't have the graphics race to be concerned about, so they often tend to focus on innovative gameplay mechanics and balance over more cosmetic aspects.

The day before yesterday, I just played a game of the new Pandemic expansion and it was pretty good. Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Small World, and Race for the Galaxy (though technically a card game) are all great games that I have and would recommend. Other great ones are Pandemic, Arkham Horror, Cosmic Encounter + Betrayal at House on the Hill (though they're not nearly as balanced as the others), Battlelore, Dominion (technically a card game), and Agricola.

If anyone is interested in these types of games, I'd suggest looking at Boardgamegeek.com. It's a hotbed for really good board games.