Does anyone even play Board Games anymore?

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Does checkers count?
If so, then checkers over msn... oh it needs to have a 'real' board.. oh la de daaaaaa

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I still play the occasional game of chess with my roommate, though she prefers it when we play Uno (okay, it's a card game instead of a board game, but close enough).
Chess fans, give this variant a shot [http://www.flickr.com/photos/recorder_manta/2300954485/]

I've always been curious about D&D or other tabletop roleplaying games (I used to play Heroquest with my brother all the time when we were kids), and a friend of mine said he thought I'd make a good DM. I don't think I'd have the patience for all the number-crunching, and probably be an EXP-Nazi when players broke character.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
We used to play monopoly at school. People swapped in and out when someone had to go to class, and we kept the game going for a week. The someone lost the board, and we started playing twister instead.

IcyEvils

Sep 9, 2009
Yeah I find a game of Chess or Draughts (checkers) to be really enjoyable against my uncles. That and Cluedo against my brother and friends.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
I've been known to play Monopoly in my time, so I'll say yes, people do still play boardgames.

Hikikomori Ookami

Jun 26, 2009
I play sometimes, when my friends don't decide they don't like the game's rules and start making up new ones. Modifying rules so you can make a drinking game is one thing, completely changing the rules because you don't like the game is just lame.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Monopoly, Settlers, Scrabble - the question is one of finding time and enough people who are free and want to play, no one of actual desire to play boardgames =)

EDIT: add Risk and Trivial Pursuit to that - get ten people together and you can be at one game for hours!

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
On the rare occasion i play monopoly or risk with my family, i am trying to start D&D with some friends though ... it's not going well

other than that, no

Rocksa

Jul 26, 2008
I loved playing the Lord of the Rings version of Risk, and Risk 2242, the futuristic one that let you nuke countries. There were also a few that a played with a friend of mine forever ago that I always wanted to pick up for my own but could never find.

One was called, I think, Storyteller, it was an odd game that was technically more of a card game. The goal was to run out of cards after they had been dealt, the twist was that the cards had things like 'Sword' and 'Ship' written on them, and that was it. You used the cards up by telling a story, have the 'Sword' card, mention somebody getting a magic sword. You took turns with the other players and aimed to use up all of your cards first while making the best story you could. It was fun.

I also really wanted to pick up Betrayal at House on the Hill, but I didn't buy it when I had the chance when it was only $20, and I can't really bring myself to pay the $150 to pick up the cheapest one I can find now.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Seirhune said:
Man, we boardgame way more than we play video games. Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium (twice a year, if lucky enough to find a group to play all day with), Agricola, Shadows Over Camelot, Catan, Ra, Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, and so on...so many wonderful board games. Haven't played Risk: Godstorm in a while, but it is also spiffy.

I wish videogames were as replayable as many of our board games. Terrible to say on the forum of a site that focuses on video games, but I feel that many board games are better *games* that so many video games.

Still need to get Notre Dame and Pillars of the Earth.

I'll stop geeking out now.
We've never gotten to actually play Twilight Imperium, but we're storing a friend's copy at our house - just no one really wants to take the time to learn it and play it when we still have other things sitting around that we need to get around to like the Starcraft boardgame. :)

Agricola, we didn't really like all that much - it just seemed like "Oh, another worker placement game; Why not just go play ______" (where the blank is anything from Puerto Rico to Caylus to Pillars, etc.)

Shadows Over Camelot, I'll be honest - I really enjoyed it, 2 of the other players thought it was kinda stupid. I played with my dad and one of his friends, and a personal friend of mine. I like the co-op idea though I think I prefered it in the LOTR games that we have.

Catan, well, a classic, but damn the luck...Simply damn the luck... :) I recently had a chance to play Stone Age (a relatively new release as far as I know) and I think it's a much better "Transition" game from shit like Monopoloy into the wonderful world of Euro-gaming as compared to Catan or even Carcassonne. It has less of the "Oh, I rolled bad, now I'm screwed" and there's no game mechanics like "OH, a thief took my shit," or "Oh, this other player blew up my building," and such. Know what I mean? It has more mechanics that help the player rather than hurt it, which might lead to a happier less frustrating time.

RA, I love, we've had it for a long time. Dominion, I've never heard of...

Race for the Galaxy, I know we have it, but I don't think we've played it...Is that the basically "Puerto Rico in space with cards" game? I remember it being quite lucky and I didn't really know the path of development, but enjoying it anyway because of the theme. You used cards as buildings -and- as currency, if I recalled, which sort of annoyed me because I wanted to keep some cards to use as buildings (planets) later on, but had to sell them to put a different card down...

Notre Dame is alright. I like it, but for some stupid reason it reminds me of St. Petersburgh. I remember the rats being a problem in N.D. Sort of a count-up timer that you need to take care of (sorta like food in some other games...)

But Pillars, well, Pillars I highly recommend - we have the expansion as well, and it's very, very good. I don't know if you've gotten the experience of trying it, but I really, really love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That said, feel free to PM me any time; My dad looks at boardgamegeek about as much as I go onto this site, but, he's sort of a collector, and we have a lot. Believe me, we have a lot. From Cosmic Encounter to several versions of Risk to the ones that we've just named...

Obviously, yes, I still play boardgames. ^^;

Oh, I almost forgot: We also have plenty of Historical War Games (for lack of a better category) and a lot of other such badass things. And I'm not talkin' light things like Battlecry, or abstracted things like Axis and Allies... I'm talking about like, we have 20+ games about the Battle of the Bulge...(Ardennes?) x_X.