Does anyone remember the PS2 game The Suffering?

NotDavidHayter

Escapist +
Jun 23, 2020
Country
United States
I replayed The Suffering and I've often wished this lost Midway property would make a resurgence. Does anyone else remember this game or is it just me?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yes. Borrowed it from a friend back in the day. Never played the sequel, but saw a play through of it on YouTube back in 2007.

Reactions: NotDavidHayter

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, it was pretty neat and weird because they had a picture of what was supposed to be your character with his family and they were black, but in game he looked white with a tan.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, it was pretty neat and weird because they had a picture of what was supposed to be your character with his family and they were black, but in game he looked white with a tan.
It implied that Torque is mixed race. He's even voiced by Michael Duncan Clarke. May he rest in peace.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It implied that Torque is mixed race. He's even voiced by Michael Duncan Clarke. May he rest in peace.
Yeah, but in the pic he looks like a black guy and has a totally different face in game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, but in the pic he looks like a black guy and has a totally different face in game.

Torque is not in the first photo. Those are his two sons and wife. You can still have husband or wife that is mixed, and have children that are dark. Ask my aunts on my mom's side of the family.

Was that the Silent Hill but in prison game?
Yes, but it's more action oriented.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Torque is not in the first photo. Those are his two sons and wife. You can still have husband or wife that is mixed, and have children that are dark. Ask my aunts on my mom's side of the family.
I thought he only had one son?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I thought he only had one son?
No, he had two. Cory is the one in the bottom pic, and Malcolm is the youngest he's carrying on his shoulder.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, he had two. Cory is the one in the bottom pic, and Malcolm is the youngest he's carrying on his shoulder.
Ahh, ok, well I stand corrected from like 15 years of belief in that game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I remember playing either a demo of that or The Ties That Bind. It started with shootout in a movie theater IIRC (no, not the Batman kind) or maybe it was a prison, and the main character had a bunch of weird visions or hallucinations. It was a neat, gritty psycho-violent TPS that was probably underrated and became long forgotten, but a remaster would be very worthwhile.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yep. Played them both back in the day. They don't necessarily stand out for me after all these years but I definitely enjoyed them.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
A really long time ago, so I don't remember much but yeah I remember it exists and has a sequel, besides other minor details I don't remember much.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yeah, the first game was great, if easy. I really liked the monster designs and Clem's descriptions of them. The sequel was kinda rocky for me though, the new scientist woman's descriptions of the monsters was rather flat and uninteresting. While The Creeper was an interesting ghost, the rest of the new ones were kinda meh for me. I also feel like the game suffered from them forcing you to have only two weapons at any one time.