Does anyone still play Dynsaty Warriors or it's clones or spin-offs?

Does anyone still play Dynsaty Warriors or it's clones or spin-offs?

• Yes. I am a big DW fan and enjoy most of the clones or spin-offs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I prefer the clones or spin-offs.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, but I prefer 2D brawlers or 3D brawlers that are not DW style.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No, I prefer none of the above.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
With Koei Tecmo going downhill on their franchises with few ups, does anyone bother with DW, DW style games, or the spin-offs? I've always been on and off with the series, and they could never fill the void with 2D beat'em ups or the more single-player focused action games like DMC or Bayonetta. Especially now that the 2D beat'em up genre is in a new golden age. I liked Samurai Warriors 4 (the spin-offs are another issue), DW8XL, and Hyrule Warriors, but that is about it. I might check out One Piece Pirate Warriors 4, but that is a big "if". As far as clones, I've always preferred Sengoku Basara or Onechanbara Z2: Chaos. The latter is more like Bayonetta/DMC compared to the older games in that particular franchise. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've never been interested in that style of game to be honest. They seem rather pointless. However that might be because they haven't contained characters I give a shit about, because the DW-style game featuring persona characters (I think it's called Persona Scramble) has me interested. Though no word as of yet if it is coming West anytime soon.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
However that might be because they haven't contained characters I give a shit about, because the DW-style game featuring persona characters (I think it's called Persona Scramble) has me interested. Though no word as of yet if it is coming West anytime soon
Persona 5 Scramble: Strikers. The Western release probably got delayed due to the virus. With all the advertising going on, I assumed a US/EU was planned. It would be odd not to, since every spin-off for Persona 4 got a Western release. The game does take place after Persona 5's story, so you would most likely be interested in that.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not a fan of the direction they went after 4. I liked that little minion still needed to be cleared and I never really liked figthing against the general since on higher difficulty they have so much freaking health it take forever. But it seems like they want the minion to just be decoration and they don't seem to be interested in making map control more important.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
They are still trying to charge $80 for DW8. I like the games but not that much

It's a 7 year old game for god's sakes, why does it cost so much?

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I haven't really sat down and played any of the DW games. However I have played other Warriors games, particularly Samurai Warriors and All-Stars. I was really into Japan when I was younger so having a samurai themed game where you beat up a bunch of guys was catharsis for me. I did get All-Stars because it had a lot of characters I liked in it so I was naturally curious.

As for other Warrior styled games, yeah sure I do play them for sure. I'm probably a degenerate for admitting it but I am a big fan of Senran Kagura as it has a lot of catharsis for me, especially when I play as Daidouji. I keep telling myself I'd get Fire Emblem Warriors but I haven't yet because I don't use my Switch all that much. But I haven't played these kinds of games in a while though. I do enjoy them whenever I do pick them up.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm probably a degenerate for admitting it but I am a big fan of Senran Kagura as it has a lot of catharsis for me, especially when I play as Daidouji.
Like what you like. There is no shame in it. I played some of the Senran Kagura games, but I don't find them as mechanically fun as Onechanbara Z2: Chaos if we're talking gameplay depth. That's just me though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't really sat down and played any of the DW games. However I have played other Warriors games, particularly Samurai Warriors and All-Stars. I was really into Japan when I was younger so having a samurai themed game where you beat up a bunch of guys was catharsis for me. I did get All-Stars because it had a lot of characters I liked in it so I was naturally curious.

As for other Warrior styled games, yeah sure I do play them for sure. I'm probably a degenerate for admitting it but I am a big fan of Senran Kagura as it has a lot of catharsis for me, especially when I play as Daidouji. I keep telling myself I'd get Fire Emblem Warriors but I haven't yet because I don't use my Switch all that much. But I haven't played these kinds of games in a while though. I do enjoy them whenever I do pick them up.
I completely forgot I have like 6 of the Senran games! I should go play them.....

EDIT: BEWBS!

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
No. I bought Hyrule Warriors. Played through the story once then never picked it up again.

I bough rye Fire Emblem Warriors but couldn't be arsed with it when there are better Switch games to play

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Dynasty Warriors used to be one of my favorite couch co-op games to play with my cousin.

I tend to lean towards the spin-offs nowadays though because those tend to be of higher quality, the last mainline Dynasty Warriors game I put significant time into was 6.

On Wii U I had well over 300 hours in Hyrule Warriors. It is actually probably my most played Wii U game now that I think of it.

I've really enjoyed the demo for Persona 5 Scramble as well and I'm starting to get annoyed with Atlus for dragging their feet with a localization announcement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are still trying to charge $80 for DW8. I like the games but not that much

It's a 7 year old game for god's sakes, why does it cost so much?
Digital or physical? Not that should matter, because the game is 7 years old. You can check Amazon; they got copies new and used for $20 or less.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I played DW8:XL quite a lot (clocked a couple hundred hours) and enjoyed it quite a lot (though I did look up how to get some of the alt-timeline unlock conditions, some were pretty obtuse in how they were listed). Not so much with Samurai Warriors 3 (TBH, can't even remember which one I have).

It was a great de-stressing series since the gameplay was essentially run around from place to place and button mash until told to go somewhere else. Utter mindless fun, and I liked the main series' take on the 3K era, done in that way that can only be described as Japanese, and the localisation improved progressively to the extent that I even enjoyed the voice-acting (it did help that around 7-ish, they started pronouncing the names correctly(!), which is important 'cos I got 4 and couldn't play it because the VA-work was horrendous... those glorious days of 'Cow Cow' etc.).

Still remember some of the sillier memes, like Xiahou Bieber, which illicit a chuckle, but currently, I'm largely ambivalent towards it at best.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Digital or physical? Not that should matter, because the game is 7 years old. You can check Amazon; they got copies new and used for $20 or less.
On Steam. But then, I specifically avoid Steam based on these sort of shenanigans

I don't console and I dont have a DVD player on the PC, so physical is useless to me

I should check elsewhere but this is already too much friction for me. I like Dynasty Warriors but not that much

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I loved pretty much all of the PS2 era Dynasty and Samurai Warriors games I played (mainly DW4, 5, SW2 and the first two Orochi games).

I hated DW6 on release but have since gone back and changed some of my thoughts on the game retrospectively. DW7 introduced some neat new features like the Jin Dynasty and the new musou system, but otherwise felt like a really poor step back overall, especially in movesets, and how the combat felt less 'meaty'. DW8 (and its expansions/spinoffs) gave over 90 characters unique movesets and even introduced fun gimmicks for some of them, which was awesome. But almost every other aspect of the game was still disappointing or mediocre, and my interest in the series progressively sunk. One of the final straws was Samurai Warriors 4, which was awful, and probably some of the least fun I've had playing a mainline musou game (though I did like the empires spinoff). As for DW9, I never bothered with it due to a combination of falling for the open world meme, the reintroduction of cloned movesets, the complete lack of any returning VAs, and some truly horrible choices for new characters (Xiahouji? Really?).

These days I just go back and play the PS2 games every now and then, and some of the more recent Empires games. Haven't played any of the licensed games, but I'll most likely pick up the Persona one if it gets a western release.

Last edited:

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I liked playing Berserk and the Band of the Hawk, never played any of the official DW games though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I love Dynasty Warriors. I don't play EVERY spin-off, but that is because I do not like One Piece. But I have played most games, from DW4-DW8, all the Empires, all the Samurai Warriors, all the Gundam Warriors except the third.

I would play DW9 if it worked on my computer, but I do not like how they did that one, but I am hoping DW10 will fix it like DW7 fixed the bad changes of 6.

That is a huge rip-off. Cannot blame you.
It is $50 when I looked. Trunkage is Australian IIRC, so I think it is more expensive cause of that. That said, I always buy everything on sale anyways, and DW8 goes on sale fairly often. I know I got my moneys worth from it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I love Dynasty Warriors. I don't play EVERY spin-off, but that is because I do not like One Piece. But I have played most games, from DW4-DW8, all the Empires, all the Samurai Warriors, all the Gundam Warriors except the third.

I would play DW9 if it worked on my computer, but I do not like how they did that one, but I am hoping DW10 will fix it like DW7 fixed the bad changes of 6.

It is $50 when I looked. Trunkage is Australian IIRC, so I think it is more expensive cause of that. That said, I always buy everything on sale anyways, and DW8 goes on sale fairly often. I know I got my moneys worth from it.
I try my best not to be on Steam. I don’t think I’ve bought anything there for a couple of years and always skip sale. Their sale prices used to be $5-10 even in Oz. They are no longer that cheap.

But that’s on me.

Reactions: BrawlMan