Does fallout new vegas have post story sandbox gameplay?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Because that was the thing that got me to stop playing fallout 3 basically forever. I mean, I did start another character, but after the game froze when I was... somewhere, I just completely stopped. That ending just making it so I couldn't use that character I had spent so long making pissed me off so much. The only reason I did the main quest was so that drinking water to gain health back wouldn't make me glow green, but it turns out that the game ends after that and you can't do any more things.

So does new vegas let you continue doing stuff after the main story? Because I might finally get it if that's the case.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
No, once you do the final mission for whichever faction you have chosen, it's all over. A shame, but I suppose they would have to change the Mojave Wasteland fairly dramatically after the battle.

ihavetwo

Mar 19, 2014
Once you finish the last quest it loads a save from before you started it so you can go do those thousands of quests you didn't do.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Negatory. Not even a DLC like in 3 to continue it. If you're playing on PC they're several mods that let you continue.

I think right after release they even went out and said that they wouldn't release a DLC to continue the game.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
No. But the main questlines of "New Vegas" (there are multiple ones, depending on which faction you choose to side with) are far superior to the single questline of "Fallout 3".

"New Vegas" also warns you when you reach the "point of no return", and offers you the chance to save your game or to continue exploring the wasteland before entering the final quest.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Thanks for informing me, everyone. It also doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of the post apocalypse anyways. I'm more of a gene roddenberry star trek utopian society kind of guy.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Thanks for informing me, everyone. It also doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of the post apocalypse anyways. I'm more of a gene roddenberry star trek utopian society kind of guy.
Fallout New Vegas isn't really all that post apocalyptic. Civilization has been rebuilt to the point that two powerful nations are engaged in a Cold War after a short and indecisive war several years before the start of the game. The main story basically is about the war starting up again and centers around a pivotal battle on the most important piece of terrain in the Mojave - the Hoover Dam.

There is also a major secondary story told through the DLC that fills in lots of gaps and minor narrative threads brought up in the main campaign with the most notable being an answer to why the player was charged with delivering the package that gets them shot in the head at the start of the game.

As others have said, the game ends once that final battle is concluded and the reasoning was fairly simple: the world the game takes place could end up drastically differently depending on what happens. Whole factions could die off, entire towns could cease to be and the political landscape of what was formerly the Southwest US would be irrevocably altered. The game, on the whole, ends well. Fallout 3 had a piece of DLC that allowed you to play on after the game ended but relied on relatively clumsy exposition explaining why the Enclave was still a threat and how the Lone Wanderer actually managed to survive the end of hte game.

Jan 12, 2012
Racecarlock said:
I'd still recommend you get it; the ultimate edition has some weapon DLC, which is fine, but it also has the pieces of an entire second story (one of the best gaming experiences of my life). Altogether, getting through Honest Hearts, Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road took me at least 30 hours, on top of the 100+ I sunk into the main game, completing the campaign and doing every sidequest I could find.

The story does come to a definitive end (although you can always play on with that savefile, as people have said), but you're definitely not going to be lacking for content.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Check out Nexus Mods, in addition to allowing after-story sandbox play, they've got 80 tons of original content that is also worth your time. You'll have to carve out a bit of time to learn how installing mods is done, but it is well worth the effort.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Because that was the thing that got me to stop playing fallout 3 basically forever. I mean, I did start another character, but after the game froze when I was... somewhere, I just completely stopped. That ending just making it so I couldn't use that character I had spent so long making pissed me off so much. The only reason I did the main quest was so that drinking water to gain health back wouldn't make me glow green, but it turns out that the game ends after that and you can't do any more things.

So does new vegas let you continue doing stuff after the main story? Because I might finally get it if that's the case.
No, things end when you finish off the Main Quest in NV? however, with the DLC content and all that? /shrug I personally think the Main Quest can be ignored for a much longer period of time legitimately (it's basically a revenge into "meet the new lackey, same as the old lackey" type thing) than the Main Quest of FO3, which was a little on the urgent side what with the whole Dad might be dead in a ditch somewhere, oh wow we could get some decent water up in here if I hustle dealie.

Now, you are aware right that FO3 has DLC that lets you play past the end, sandbox style, and just basically flit about indefinitely after fixing that whole water issue, yes?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Racecarlock said:

No, things end when you finish off the Main Quest in NV? however, with the DLC content and all that? /shrug I personally think the Main Quest can be ignored for a much longer period of time legitimately (it's basically a revenge into "meet the new lackey, same as the old lackey" type thing) than the Main Quest of FO3, which was a little on the urgent side what with the whole Dad might be dead in a ditch somewhere, oh wow we could get some decent water up in here if I hustle dealie.

Now, you are aware right that FO3 has DLC that lets you play past the end, sandbox style, and just basically flit about indefinitely after fixing that whole water issue, yes?
Paying for what other games give me free? No thanks.

Anyways, guys, again, I'm not that interested in the post apocalypse. And no post credits sandbox gameplay once again is a dealbreaker. If I am going to build a character, I want to be able to use it after a completed story. It's a thing of principle. I know it's not real work or anything, but I put a lot of time into a character and I don't want things to just stop on story completion.

This has also kept me from buying another mass effect game. It's a thing of principle, guys. Random adventure is sort of my thing, and when something presents opportunities, I want those opportunities to stick around after the story. Also I just like wandering around worlds after the story.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Well I'm pretty sure that, by now, a lot of the DLC content would be included in a "game of the year" or "mega-box" or whatever the hell format they put out years later. I enjoyed some of the DLC for NV a good deal more than the "Main Quest" - and for NV, they all work somewhat together to build up a secondary "main" line for your character's past, sort of. Just saying.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Paying for what other games give me free? No thanks.

Anyways, guys, again, I'm not that interested in the post apocalypse. And no post credits sandbox gameplay once again is a dealbreaker. If I am going to build a character, I want to be able to use it after a completed story. It's a thing of principle. I know it's not real work or anything, but I put a lot of time into a character and I don't want things to just stop on story completion.

This has also kept me from buying another mass effect game. It's a thing of principle, guys. Random adventure is sort of my thing, and when something presents opportunities, I want those opportunities to stick around after the story. Also I just like wandering around worlds after the story.
I actually hate games that allow one to muck about after the heroes journey is complete. I think it was lazy of Bethesda to cop out and release Broken Steel because nothing changed. While I think it might be cool to go around a wasteland that is completely changed due to your actions, it's really not feasible. And games that just ignore the impact your completion of the "main" quest has and allow you to explore afterwards always make the game long struggle seem almost meaningless.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
No it doesn't, but please buy it anyway. You'll get a warning before you do the final quest, and there is tons to do up to that point. The DLC is pretty fantastic and the PC versions has enormous replayability with all the mods and such.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
No. Once it's over, it's over. And it's over pretty damn quickly. I was extremely disappointed when I didn't get to continue playing with command over the Vegas strip. The DLC is fairly hit or miss too. I honestly don't understand why people liked this game more than FO3. Neither story was all that impressive (New Vegas was slightly better because of the more interesting characters IMO) but Fallout 3 felt like a much bigger game. Plus it had good DLC.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
As others have said it does not. If I remember correctly they originally planned to include it but there were simply too many things they would have to change to reflect the results of your actions (how people would react to you, places being taken over by one side or the other, etc) and they didn't have the time to manage it. They give a fairly satisfactory epilogue in my opinion though (much better than FO3s "you were good/evil" 'epilogue'). It does warn you that its the final mission though.

Personally I highly recommend New Vegas, its one of my favorite RPGs of all time and improves vastly on FO3s mechanics while at the same time moving back to the excellent writing and well developed setting (something FO3 lacked entirely). The DLC for NV is also fantastic, much better than the boring combat slogs that FO3 offered, Old World Blues in particular is one of my favorite DLCs of all time.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
IFS said:
As others have said it does not. If I remember correctly they originally planned to include it but there were simply too many things they would have to change to reflect the results of your actions (how people would react to you, places being taken over by one side or the other, etc) and they didn't have the time to manage it. They give a fairly satisfactory epilogue in my opinion though (much better than FO3s "you were good/evil" 'epilogue'). It does warn you that its the final mission though.

Personally I highly recommend New Vegas, its one of my favorite RPGs of all time and improves vastly on FO3s mechanics while at the same time moving back to the excellent writing and well developed setting (something FO3 lacked entirely). The DLC for NV is also fantastic, much better than the boring combat slogs that FO3 offered, Old World Blues in particular is one of my favorite DLCs of all time.
New Vegas did DLC as right as possible I think. It offered fantastic reasons to do it without seeming like it was actually integral in any way. It basically answered the various narrative threads that I'd hear whispers of. A few BoS members mention the old Elder who disappeared after their defeat at Helios One and the DLC tells us where he ended up. There are rumors that the former Legate survived his execution and the DLC shows us the extent of Ceasar's wrath and highlights the fact that there is little honor to be found in the Legion's brutality. It also does an excellent job of depicting Zion Canyon which, as far as I'm concerned, is one of the most magical places to be found in North America. Granted it compresses the world greatly - I know when I hiked the narrows it took 9 hours of slogging and occasionally swimming but I'm willing to overlook such liberties. Old World Blues manages to be both funny and absolutely depressing at the same time - a feat that old fallout games managed regularly. And point lookout answered one of the most compelling (and most quickly dropped) mysteries that has no real bearing on the main story - why did the courier who was supposed to carry the chip give up the job when he saw my character's name on the list?

As far as post credits play go, there are lots of mods that make it possible to do but none of them do it in any satisfactory way. The Mojave would be irrevocably different as a result - you'd basically need to create a whole new version of the world to represent the changes. Just changing the map wouldn't go far enough - you'd also need entirely new dialog for everyone since talking about the coming battle that has already been resolved (a popular conversation topic) would break the spell. Basically the game ends where it does because letting you continue in a world so changed would have been impossible. It would be like the utterly unsatisfying Fallout 3 where beyond a few NPCs here and there and the fact that the Potomac is no longer radioactive the world hardly seems changed for all the work you put into the place.