Does gay as a derogatory term offend you?

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
For example, "The new -insert game here- screens are pretty gay"

Just a random thought, since I've met straight people who will jump on someone for saying "that's gay" and gay people not giving a shat about it, and vice versa.

It never really bothers me, but if someone starts using it along with ******, or blatantly insulting someone for having gay characteristics, it does grind my gears.

DEATHD0DGER

May 11, 2011
I see it as a sign of insecurity and immaturity and I find it annoying at best. My usual reaction to someone saying it is to roll my eyes and avoid ever talking to them.

Bisexual here btw

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I don't but I can understand how someone would. If somebody got offended if I used it as long as they didn't get in my face and calmly let me know they were offended I would happily apologize.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
TopazFusion said:

Not really.
It's used so commonly, the term has practically lost all meaning.
haha.

Short answer: No it does not [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tn2EhGK5ok].

Long answer: Not really because when I hear people using it, they are not talking about homosexuality anymore than a guy who kisses guys is referring to the emotion of happiness. The semantic shift has occurred, fighting the term gay to not mean something undesirable is as pointless as fighting for the term gay to exclusively mean happiness. It's a lost cause.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I must confess of all the terms that people find offensive, I do use 'gay'. I halfheartedly justify it in text by spelling it 'geigh', since I, mentally, am not really using the sexuality as an slur.

I'm workin' on it though, so there's that?

OT: I do understand why people would be offended, (I apologize if I offended you). The name for the alcoholic drink, a mojito[footnote]Mojito is slang for 'Wetback' (illegal immigrant) in my native tongue.[/footnote], still doesn't sit quite right with me.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
It hit home just how much the term has evolved when I found myself saying, "Literally gay," to describe someone's sexuality. But yeah, I use it in a light-hearted derogatory fashion; only amongst friends though, I don't want to accidentally start any fights.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
No, not really. I use all kinds of offensive words to describe things though. My friends are an understanding bunch :D

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Not at all
Fag, gay, asshole, stupid all all other swears have basically lost all meaning to me. I just shrug off anyone that uses the term, not a big deal.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I don't use it personally but I dont really care about others using it either. However, when I do hear someone say something like, 'that movie was gay' I say back to them, 'Then why don't you kiss it?'
Then it's funny if they go full insecure and feel the need to very strongly remind everyone of how non-gay they are. So yeah, the word helps me get a laugh at best.

planet.tyler

Mar 1, 2012
Doesn't worry me as long as its not an actual slur at someone for their sexuality; ultimately words are just inert symbols we apply the meaning

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Fappy said:
No, not really. I use all kinds of offensive words to describe things though. My friends are an understanding bunch :D
Understanding? I reckon it just comes down to a "snowball fight" mentality with my friends. :p
If you insult the bastards expect to get just as good back, and hopefully vice versa.
YOUR FRIENDS MUST ALL BE IDIOTS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN WITH ME, BLAH BLAH BLAH MY SHIFT KEY IS GOING TO BREAK
Still, that's an advantage if your friends (apparently) don't insult you back.

Oh yes, oh yes, that's right. OT: Nope.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Lol. I used to use it but then I grew up. Really it's more of a thing you use during school say 13-16/17 because you don't understand it properly.

It's not offensive to me (then again nothing offends me) since it's ultimately meant as an alternative to someone more basic like fuck.

"Fuck this Darius what a gay ulti" is basically the same as "Fuck this Darius what a shit infested cock of an ulti"

Yeah this comes up in LoL every so often, nothing drastic. Never comes up in proper flame wars or anything.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well I'm heterosexual, so no, it doesn't bother me at all. Though even if I was gay, I doubt it would. Getting all offended over mere words seems pretty weak to me.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
OLD MAN MOMENT:

In my experience, it's something you really do grow out of after a certain point.

Hate to be that guy, but...yeah, I'll admit. Gay being synonymous with 'bad' or 'cowardly' or 'lame' has some very nasty undertones no matter how far you distance yourself from what the word really means. I don't think it's the worst thing ever, but none of my friends or family have ever used it that way, and...again, dem undertones.

But still, it's far from hate-speech. Almost no one who uses it is aware of what they might be implying; it's far from hateful, it's vaguely insensitive at best. I've never seen a gay peep really get bothered by it, but it's often a bit obnoxious to them. Most gay people are bullied for it at some point, and using the word in that way can bring up some bad memories. So...yeah. I guess that's a dreaded example of political correctness, but I just don't wanna sour people's mood for no reason. I have a lot of gay friends, ya know?

This isn't high on the list of most gay people's problems, really. XD They're not over sensitive. It's usually met with "Heheh, you're kind of a dick." And then they let it go. And many don't care at all. So why should I, a straight guy? It's just a word. You can't let these things rule you.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I've caught myself using "thats gay" sometimes... I blame my peers. I've been trying to get rid of it because I feel sick every time I use it.

I never ever use ******.

Its just I have too many gay friends and being bi myself (I know it doesn't count, but it has some how made me a lot of gay friends, or maybe its the way I look? whatever.)

My point is I fight for my friends, and if my friends our offended by this I stay clear of it.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Personally I prefer "******" but I'm starting to cut back on it. Not because I think the term is offensive, I have a gay friend who uses it way more than me. But just because I'm trying to cut back on cursing in general.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
no because I am a tiny tiny bit homophobic myself but I still don't use it because I might offend someone.