Does it annoy you when people copy you?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Before you ask, I'm not trying to showcase my popularity. I'm not mr. popular, that said I do alright. I just ask, because personally I'm a fan of individuality.

It doesn't irritate me if someone starts playing the same game, or watching the same show or webseries as me, that's fair enough. Entertainment value and the like. But when it applies to personal things, it does bug me a little. I seem to have developed a habit of trend setting, as of late. I seem to have been responsible for people where I live using the phrase "you so silly", among others.

A couple of months ago, I started wearing a trilby. I got several compliments on it, random strangers eating in a local pub started chatting to each other about it, the words "quite stylish" were thrown around. I'm far from the first person to discover this hat, but admit it, it isn't too common is it? As of late, since I started wearing it more and more, I've noticed more people wearing them. Not too bad, I thought, there are lots of different material and colour variations on them, but then I've seen a bunch of people wearing the exact type of trilby I do. Fair enough if I've actually gone and started something, like winter last year, deerstalkers were very popular around here.

The thing is, I liked my hat because it was kind of unique (not trying to sound like a hipster here) I'm not going to stop wearing it, and hopefully this trend will die out in a few months, but I just think there are a lot of cool and interesting hats out there (hence why I have a small collection, but this is the one I frequently wear.) and not everyone needs a trilby, right?

So does it irritate you when people copy you?

Aug 25, 2009
No one copies me directly so it makes it kind of hard to answer this sort of thing. Generally when people copy me indirectly I don't care.

However, I started playing the Axis of Awesome's Four Chord Song at university a while back, and after a while it had caught on and everyone was doing it. It didn't exactly annoy me because I'm fine whenever people like and enjoy the same music I do, and it's always nice to see someone else playing songs you'd normally do so you don't feel obligated to do them.

However, I do still like playing the songs sometimes, whereas uni acts doing the Four Chord Song became so ubiquitous you had to get to the venue over a half hour before the night began so you could beg the person running it to go on first so you had any chance of playing the song yourself, which meant you had to choose between getting the worst slot of the night to play in, or not getting to play the song.

However, then the Axis of Awesome played Red Nose Day and everyone knew where the song came from, so everyone except me stopped playing it. I never claimed I wrote the thing, and I'm fine with doing covers, the other acts apparently weren't.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
No one would dare copy me because I'm such a massive freak, if they were seen wearing the same thing as me, they'd get laughed at.

Apart from when I started wearing bright pink tights at school, everyone laughed at me until the popular girl complimented me and started wearing them too, then suddenly they were cool.

I saw two girls in town wearing the exact same clothing too, apart from a cardigan. I don't know if it was for a performance perhaps, or maybe they were just retarded and can't think for themselves when it comes to clothes. I've seen a few girls do it, they probably think it's really funny and cute but I think they look like idiots. ;_;

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Yesterday I was going to get a hat. I thought "ooh maybe I can stand out". Then my younger brother got a hat of the same kind while having the same length of hair as me. Now we look like two douchebags instead of the wanted one. I can't wear my hat anywhere now because I do not, and have not (because there is a history of him copying me) ever wanted to look like him or have him look like me.

This happened yesterday, and today this topic came up on the forum. Coincidence? Of course.
And you're talking about hats. Coincidence again? Still.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Bassman_2 said:
Yesterday I was going to get a hat. I thought "ooh maybe I can stand out". Then my younger brother got a hat of the same kind while having the same length of hair as me. Now we look like two douchebags instead of the wanted one. I can't wear my hat anywhere now because I do not, and have not (because there is a history of him copying me) ever wanted to look like him or have him look like me.

This happened yesterday, and today this topic came up on the forum. Coincidence? Of course.
And you're talking about hats. Coincidence again? Still.
ah, my bad. It seems nobody is safe from being copied!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
If it's music taste or something like that no but like you said if I start using a phrase a lot and then suddenly someone else also starts saying it a lot that annoys me.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009

So, they started parroting the same internet meme as you, and started wearing a generic hat like a fedora, and you find it annoying? Do you really think those things symbolise a unique identity?

To answer the question, it would feel weird if it didn't seem like a natural evolution from their previous style, but I'd feel kind of flattered. Whether I'd get annoyed or not depends on the type of people who copy it, what it is, and how blatant the copy is. If they're a bunch of annoying people who'd completely ruin whatever the thing I like symbolised, I'd be a bit annoyed.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
My friends have a habit of stealing my "catch-phrase like" mannerisms.

It does piss me off because I often have to find something better.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Fashion-wise nobody copies me. But I started using Kenko like a decade ago as a nickname, it was available everywhere... Not it's never available, fucking jack offs keep stealing it. Got loads of flack for it mainly from yanks about some "coffee" or some stuff like it. Now... Its never available...RAAAAAAGE ITS MINE YOU ASSTARTS!

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
I would feel annoyed if people started copying me, of course I don't look that special so I don't know why anyone would try to copy my style.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
binnsyboy said:
-Le Chomp!-
Well, I am Mr. Popular and I do get somewhat annoyed, yes. People intentionally copying me would do so only to annoy, not to gratify, and so I would stick a fork up their nose and challenge them to repeat it NOW.