Does it piss you off when people text at a movie theater?

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
I find it annoying when people text during a movie. I feel like it is disrespectful to the other movie-goers. Plus having the backlight of the phone flashing every five minutes very distracting. /frustrated rant

The reason I bring this up because 12 teenager did this when I went go see The Cabin in the Woods. Great movie, I had fun despite my awful theater experience

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Is there really even a reason to ask this? The answer is obviously yes.

If you text in a movie theater you should be dragged naked by your genitals across a field of broken glass.

HouseOfSyn

Nov 25, 2011
I'd be shocked if anyone thought this was ok. I remember a few years back a friend of a friend answered his phone half way through a film - I was utterly shocked someone could be so rude. Also, if you're watching a film at my home, there must be no talking and phones must be off ... I don't entertain much.

Captcha : "get over it" Ha!

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Only if I can actually see them doing it.

And since I generally sit at the back of the theater, I can usually see them.

So yes. Most of the time, anyway. Unless it's something like Safe House, as I didn't care at all if someone distracted me from that. >_>

jackpackage200

Jul 4, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Is there really even a reason to ask this? The answer is obviously yes.

If you text in a movie theater you should be dragged naked by your genitals across a field of broken glass.
We spent 30 min arguing this in my ethics course today. Some of my fellow students felt that it was justified because they have social lives that are more important than being respectful to other movie-goers.

I agree with your idea of what the punishment should be

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Calls? Fuck yes

Texts? Not really, if its just like once or twice throughout the film its alright but if its some teenage girl texting throughout the entire fucking film then yes.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
As long as they are quiet I couldn't give a damn.

However, walking into my local, answering your phone and then shouting like you are trying to be heard over the sound of a plane taking off while i'm trying to watch the fucking football.....

His phone "accidentally" fell into the toilet.....

Jessabi

Jul 26, 2011
If the phone is on silent whilst they're texting then no, I couldn't care less. I tend to have my eyes on the movie screen and not on the other people in the room.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really seeing that the worse thing they can do is not having their phone on silent mode and answering their calls.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I think it's very disrespectful. If you don't want to see the movie, if your social life is more important, then don't go to a theater.

And I wish theaters would enforce their rules better. If someone is texting, KICK THEM OUT!

OP I suggest you start going to the drive-in. I personally have to drive anywhere from an hour to nearly two hours just to go to the drive-in, but its SOOOO worth it. While most theaters charge you nearly five bucks for a box of candy, at a drive in you pay five dollars for a burger and fries. You have direct volume control over the movie and most of the time you don't hear your fellow movie-goers.

It is the Valhalla of movie-going.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I hate when people text, talk on the phone, and talk loud in general in the theater. Why would you pay money to sit in a dark room and text when you can do that at home?

When I went to see 21 Jump Street the girl sitting next to me kept texting, it was fucking annoying, and this guy sitting like 6 seats to the right of me felt the need to answer his phone, talk loudly, and loudly repeat every line he found funny right after they said it.

Also when I went to see American Reunion this loud mouthed girl would not shut the fuck up during the movie.

Oh yeah I just remembered when I went to go see The Crazies with my friends there was this group of teenagers sitting behind us, they kept talking loud and getting up. One of them got their phone taken away, which was awesome.

Screamarie said:
I think it's very disrespectful. If you don't want to see the movie, if your social life is more important, then don't go to a theater.

And I wish theaters would enforce their rules better. If someone is texting, KICK THEM OUT!

OP I suggest you start going to the drive-in. I personally have to drive anywhere from an hour to nearly two hours just to go to the drive-in, but its SOOOO worth it. While most theaters charge you nearly five bucks for a box of candy, at a drive in you pay five dollars for a burger and fries. You have direct volume control over the movie and most of the time you don't hear your fellow movie-goers.

It is the Valhalla of movie-going.
I always go to the Drive-In during summer here, the only thing that sucks is that it's by a train track and a race track, so if a train goes by or there's a race it's hard to hear. Our drive in never adapted to transmitting sound through the radio, we're stuck with those speakers you hang in your window.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Why do you even care?
If it's on silent and they're not making calls then it's OK. Other people eating pop corn is more distracting.

Here's a really handy tip:
Don't look at other people, look at the screen.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
As long as the screen is not backlit and its on silent, sure. Otherwise, no. I don't want a huge white glow erupting 5 feet in front of me.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Why do you even care?
If it's on silent and they're not making calls then it's OK. Other people eating pop corn is more distracting.

Some people have peripheral vision.

OP: If they have a backlit screen and there's sound, then it's annoying and disrespectful. Otherwise I don't care.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Psykoma said:
HardkorSB said:
Why do you even care?

Some people have peripheral vision.

OP: If they have a backlit screen and there's sound, then it's annoying and disrespectful. Otherwise I don't care.
Another tip:
Don't sit at the back. Sit in the middle or closer to the front. That way you'll have to look straight, even a bit up (if you're more in front) and you won't see the lights of the phones.
Also, if a tiny light can ruin a movie experience for you, the cinema isn't for you.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
as long as their backlight isnt too strong its fine by me I swear some are flashlight bright
and can be distracting

personally i am more concerned when people don't even make an effort to shush their kids when I went to see secret of arriety there was this one kid that kept talking and the mother did not even try to tell the kid not to talk during the movie

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hell yes. I don't mind people talking during the pre-adverts, when the lights are on. When the adverts start then nobody should be talking in any way, but texting or turning phones off should be fine. As soon as the adverts end and the trailers start, then everything else should be off, and everyone silent (snacks are acceptable provided they aren't too loud).

During the film itself, I hold to the view that anyone who uses anything like a phone or ipod or anything in any way should be made to leave the cinema, without a refund. We have ushers, right? Surely this comes under affecting other people's enjoyment of the film. The only acceptable exception should be in the case of an emergency, otherwise if you want to text or otherwise use your phone then leave the screen and do it outside. Come back in to the film afterwards, but don't you fuckers dare use it in the screen while the film is playing.

(Sorry, I just get a bit angry at these people sometimes...)

[small]EDIT: Who's seen the newest Orange ads/'turn off your mobile' videos they do? Here in the UK, it's been a rather funny one with 'Orange Phone Wardens' or something setting up a TSA/Border Control style over-zealous anti-phone system, with spot checks, x-ray machines and sniffer dogs trained to 'sniff out phone signals'. I'd actually love to see that in cinemas, if only for the lulz...[/small]