Does it piss you off when people text at a movie theater?

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
generally, i get pissed if anyone does anything else than sit their asses down and shut the fuck up in a theater, including my friends, hell they are probably the offenders in most of the posts in this thread.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
As long as they're sat in the back (where little shits that usually text during movies sit anyway) I don't care. I never sit at the back, so I don't have to see them.
The last two times I've been to the movies I've been sat in front of some dumb twats who have to question every single bit of the movie.
If anyone disturbs me watching The Avengers, I will maim them. -.-

EDIT: Forgot to add. Surely can last a painful two hours without texting. Fairy snuff if you don't like the movie and get bored, but do it under your coat or something.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I used to not mind so much. But with Smart Phones being the norm these days I can see your bright ass screen from across the theatre and it's really distracting.

Plus, I just can't rationalize the type of person who takes time out of their schedule, drives to a theatre, pays hard earned money for a ticket and then spends their time farting around on their phone or talking.

This is coming from a guy who is used to being "on call" pretty much 24 hours a day.

Unless you're a doctor, the President or someone you know is expecting a baby. Sit the fuck down, turn your phone to vibrate, shut your word hole and watch the god damned movie.

Nothing in your life is so important it can't wait 90-180 minutes.

And if it can't wait then take it outside.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
People who text during the movie should be dragged out into the lobby and put in public stocks where other moviegoers are encouraged to throw popcorn salt in their eyes.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Nah txting doesn't piss me off to much.

You know what did?

Went to watch woman in black with my lady, awesome film but the tension was being destoryed alot... Some giant fat bastard behind me... had smuggled a bucket of KFC into the cinema >_> the smell i can deal with but HOLY SHIT he was noisely eating and burping for a solid 1.5 hours HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EAT CHICKEN FOR 1.5 HOURS!

I was just about at breaking point when he FINALLY stopped... i didn't want to flip out at him and ruin the film for everyone else but my god did i need a smoke by the end of this film >:C.

So txting irritates me but the company i keep don't do it, but if someone next to me i didn't know did it constantly i would probably flip my shit.

You have gone to the cinema to WATCH a film, BLOODY WATCH IT.

Ok im done.

The guy looked abit like this also.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
MasochisticAvenger said:
DigitalAtlas said:
No, and complaining about it just means you aren't thinking and might be getting a tad caught up in your own experience. What if someone went to see a movie who suddenly had to help a friend in need via txt? Should they just ignore them so you don't have to deal with an occasional flicker?
Alright, if someone contacts you who is in so much trouble they cannot wait a couple of hours for the movie to finish, get the fuck out of the theater and call them because obviously texting them is going to take too long. Whatever emergency it is, is probably going to force you to leave the cinema anyway.

DigitalAtlas said:
What if they were uninterested in the movie but didn't want to leave due to friends, ride wasn't there yet, or just simply didn't want to waste the money by leaving?
Tough shit. People shouldn't try and ruin my experience just because they aren't enjoying the movie. Also, most cinemas I've been to give you a full refund within the first 30 minutes of the movie. If you haven't decided if you're interested by that point, you're pretty slow.

DigitalAtlas said:
You want a better experience? Politely ask the person to stop txting, or get satisfied we even have the luxury at all. I don't see how a little back light bothers you anyway.
Really?! We're fortunate to have movies so that means you can be rude and inconsiderate? We're fortunate to have food, so I guess you won't mind if someone spits in your next time.
>Uncivil conduct.

Really? In a debate about txting in the movies? Really?

Also, a person did spit in my food once. Instead of getting mad about it, I went and made ramen and appreciated the heck out of being able to actually do that.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
HouseOfSyn said:
I'd be shocked if anyone thought this was ok. I remember a few years back a friend of a friend answered his phone half way through a film - I was utterly shocked someone could be so rude. Also, if you're watching a film at my home, there must be no talking and phones must be off ... I don't entertain much.
I want to come over. People seem to not understand that when I'm trying to watch a show or read a fucking book I'm busy and don't want to hear them talk.

And no. I've been the asshole tattle-tale that tells the usher if people don't shut up or whatnot. I don't care what people think... I've paid to see the movie in a theatre, so they shouldn't interrupt me with their useless commentary.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
It only ever bothers me once if it does. The local theaters here kick people out the first time they see a cell phone light come on they don't give a shit if you are checking the time texting or playing Angry Birds. If they see a cell phone come on you are out. No warning, no asking nicely to put it away just a guided tour to the exit. Half the time if I see a light the ushers are on top of it before anyone has to say anything as they are on top of it like you wouldn't believe. On top of that they don't allow people under 18 in to their late showings that start from 10pm to 12am.

Although doing as much traveling as I do for not all theaters are nearly as harsh but a lot of them are starting to adopt no texting policies.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Yes. People seem to forget that, although we can't hear you, a sudden bright light acts like a beacon directing your attention away from the movie.

When the trailers start, your phone goes away. It's that simple. Feel free to text during the preshow commercial thing, but get it gone before the actual movie stuff.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Yup I hate it.

How much? I'm saving up money for a small signal jacker that can be used to block GPS signals but has the fun side effect of stopping phone signals. When I get it it's coming to the cinema with me. ALWAYS

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If someone wants to text in a movie theater they should at least leave the theater and text in the hall or the lobby. I can usually forgive the people who text as long as their phone isn't lit up like a Christmas tree and isn't making any noise. I won't forgive the people that talk on their phones or with their friends while in the theater.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
It's the most annoying thing in the world to me. Then again it seems like more and more people are losing there respect in movie theaters.
The last movie I went to see in theaters the women behind me kept kicking the chair. I told her politely to stop it please, didn't get a good look at her wanted to watch the movie. Also did about 30 death glares. When the movie was over I was shocked to see the woman behind me was older then I was (I was expecting to see someone in there teens not 30-ish). Also people just leave there pop corn and drinks every where.
It's disgusting. I'm just going to wait till DvD's now. Spending 20$ isn't worth it if it's unenjoyable.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
chadachada123 said:
Clapping is always annoying, but I can think of a couple of instances where audience interaction could be beneficial. I can't remember the movie, but there was a crowded theater I was in where, at some pivotal moment, someone in the audience said something loudly, and most of the theater started laughing uproariously. It was awesome.

Most of the time, though, I'd agree.
That happened to me, yeah. I was watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and during an important moment: (don't click if you haven't seen it)
When the ape says "NO." Before this, people were just talking in general, just quietly, not really intrusive. He speaks, nobody says a word for about 3 seconds. Total silence. TOTAL. Then, in the corner of the theatre, someone shouted, "HOLY SHIT!", and the entire theatre burst out in laughter.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Hell yes. And at any similar venue. I went to a concert recently where people were texting through the performance, their faces brightly lit by their screens in the dark room. If I were the performer I would have been pointing at each one of them---"you're texting, you're texting, you're texting... am I boring you?" At least with movies, you can't offend the entertainers, but it's still rude and distracting.

If you go to a movie, go to a movie. If you go to a concert, go to a concert. But shut the phone off -- like you are asked to do -- and pay attention. Sure, I can see glancing at a message once--GLANCING--but not repeatedly.

I feel very sorry for someone who is so stressed out by not immediately being able to answer a message during a 90 minute film that they have to do it.

And I have no tolerance for anyone who puts their own selfish desires (if you're expecting an important message, you don't go to the movies in the meantime) before common sense and standard etiquette.

I swear, one day I will snap and grab the phones from the people pulling this kind of nonsense and chuck them into the popcorn and sticky soda filled trash bins. That's probably considered a social faux pas too, but I guarantee you it's a hell of a lot more justified.

May 29, 2011
Movies last quite a long time, and sometimes you can't wait quite a long time to say what you have to say or hear what someone alse has to say. If they're quite and they don't make a conversation out of it it would be rude to tell them to stop.