Does the south have any redeeming qualities?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It seems to me that the American South doesn’t have any redeeming qualities besides good food. Are there any other good things about it?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
That's a very broad generalization. Where's the dividing line between North and South and the point at which either group of States should be considered "the same?" Because being from Ohio, I know a lot of places there that would fit right in with the most backwoods and scary places in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. Contrarily, Austin is the capital of Texas, and is arguably one of the most progressive cities in America.

Does the Sought have any redeeming qualities? Austin, TX.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Country music, BBQ food, and lots of people willing to join the military.

Reactions: gorfias

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
There are conservatives who just want a decent place for every person on this planet to live. Who will literally greet you with a smile without knowing who you are because you are just a person sharing this experience of life with them. Who will give because they believe it is the duty to help those who can't help themselves.

There are Law Enforcement Officers who just want to protect. Nothing more complicated. They just want people to be safe in their own homes.

Media, Capitalists, People who like Cheese... No matter how much I don't agree with a group's stereotype, there are people who always break the stereotype and just are geniune people who have a different set of beliefs.

Yes, there are places I won't travel in the south because they have a lot of racists who would probably want to take out their beliefs on me. But there are a lot of other people in the south who would invite me to dinner so we can trade jokes and tales.

There's beauty everywhere. Especially in the South.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its not so much the south as it is rural vs urban. Even in the south, most cities tend to be pretty liberal.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Forrest Gump, Deliverance, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Cormac McCarthy books.
All those are example of horrible things happening to random people who don't deserve it. Which is pretty Southern, gotta say.

As for my take, nah. Im from St. Louis and that's about as South as I want to be. The South is hot, spider and scorpion filled, with scary, unfriendly towns filled with backwards gun-toting truthers, rednecks, klanners and confederate "rebels". I already see more than a few confederate flags here, and St. Louis is the liberal city in Missouri. I can't imagine how scary and nerve-racking it is south of here, wondering if today is the day the drunken rednecks down the street decide its time for some "country" justice for everyone who voted for Obama.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
All those are example of horrible things happening to random people who don't deserve it. Which is pretty Southern, gotta say.

As for my take, nah. Im from St. Louis and that's about as South as I want to be. The South is hot, spider and scorpion filled, with scary, unfriendly towns filled with backwards gun-toting truthers, rednecks, klanners and confederate "rebels". I already see more than a few confederate flags here, and St. Louis is the liberal city in Missouri. I can't imagine how scary and nerve-racking it is south of here, wondering if today is the day the drunken rednecks down the street decide its time for some "country" justice for everyone who voted for Obama.
Missouri is DEEP red outside of St. Louis and Kansas City, so I'm not surprised.

Reactions: SilentPony

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It seems to me that the American South doesn’t have any redeeming qualities besides good food. Are there any other good things about it?
I think that question is one that is born from a lack of understanding and experience. My advice would be to travel to the South. Meet the people, meet the cultures. Familiarity can breed understanding or contempt, but at least through that either stance has been informed by experience and not hearsay.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I think that question is one that is born from a lack of understanding and experience. My advice would be to travel to the South. Meet the people, meet the cultures. Familiarity can breed understanding or contempt, but at least through that either stance has been informed by experience and not hearsay.
I should point out only do this if you're a straight white man. Traveling around the South as anyone else, experiencing their "culture" can be very hazardous.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The question should be if the United States of America have any redeeming qualities, and the answer is no.

Reactions: Hades

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

That’s a broadly negative stroke to paint. I mean, I’m from MI but have visited several southern states multiple times and the people encountered have always been laid back and friendly. And yes, even to black people from casual observances.

Basically there are shitty exceptions to the rule everywhere in this country.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The vast majority of the black population of America lives in the south. So if you're thinking the south can't be salvaged because of racists then you're also saying you can't salvage the people subject to racism.

You also don't need to go to the south to find racists, as I'm sure Obsidian and Brawlman can attest to.

Reactions: Kae

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The vast majority of the black population of America lives in the south. So if you're thinking the south can't be salvaged because of racists then you're also saying you can't salvage the people subject to racism.
Isn't that the equivalent of saying you can't save the Jews if you can't save the Nazis?
I'm pretty sure no one is saying blacks in the South are racist against blacks in the South. Its been pretty well understood that its whites in the South who are racist against the blacks, and have several centuries to prove it.

I mean blacks are welcome in the South, so long as they know their place. They live on the bad side of town, work the shit jobs, have a shit life, can't vote, their women are considered free-use, and their men better not look at a white woman. That's always been the South.
That's why shit like voting and going to school and desegregation was fought tooth and nail by whites, even to this day. Southern voter ID laws that disproportionately target "Urban" voters? What do you think "Urban" is code for?

That’s a broadly negative stroke to paint. I mean, I’m from MI but have visited several southern states multiple times and the people encountered have always been laid back and friendly. And yes, even to black people from casual observances.

Basically there are shitty exceptions to the rule everywhere in this country.
Funnily enough, "broadly negative" is a great way to describe the American South.

Reactions: thestor

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Isn't that the equivalent of saying you can't save the Jews if you can't save the Nazis?
I'm pretty sure no one is saying blacks in the South are racist against blacks in the South. Its been pretty well understood that its whites in the South who are racist against the blacks, and have several centuries to prove it.

I mean blacks are welcome in the South, so long as they know their place. They live on the bad side of town, work the shit jobs, have a shit life, can't vote, their women are considered free-use, and their men better not look at a white woman. That's always been the South.
That's why shit like voting and going to school and desegregation was fought tooth and nail by whites, even to this day. Southern voter ID laws that disproportionately target "Urban" voters? What do you think "Urban" is code for?

Funnily enough, "broadly negative" is a great way to describe the American South.
That's why voter suppression is a thing. To keep POC from voting so Republicans can stay in power.

Don't be surprised if Republicans decide to do away with elections altogether when they regain control in 2022 and 2024.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I recall a column from a northerner traveled south for the Democratic convention and wrote how unsettling it was for a northerner to be down there. People were so friendly and smiled a lot. In the north, such behavior means you're up to something.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's why voter suppression is a thing. To keep POC from voting so Republicans can stay in power.

Don't be surprised if Republicans decide to do away with elections altogether when they regain control in 2022 and 2024.
Don't fool yourself, democrats and republicans are 2 sides of the same coin and both highly influence voting. Republicans look more evil with their voter suppression laws, but democrats influence voting via controlling information. You shouldn't vote for either party.

Looking at a list of most segregated cities might shock your world. Also, literally ALL 15 of the worst cities to live in for black americans are all NORTHERN cities.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren