Does this Japanese Reality TV Sniper Prank Cross a Line?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Does this Japanese Reality TV Sniper Prank Cross a Line?

Everybody knows that Japanese reality TV shows are slightly more mean-spirited than their Western cousins ... but does this simulated sniper attack go too far?

The objective of the Japanese hidden camera reality show Panic Face King is - as the name suggests - to induce the best possible "panic face" by putting their unwitting target in a terror-inducing situation. One such situation would be to invite a young businessman into a meeting, and then shatter the windows as a "sniper" shoots through them to kill the room's other inhabitants. The terrified unwitting subject tries to escape the room, only to find that it's locked and that the gunman is coming after him next.

And all the while, the TV audience is laughing. I don't know about you all, but while I've laughed at other things I've seen on Japanese reality TV that may be on the edges of what is acceptable, this leaps over the line - for me, anyway. And at least one BoingBoing blogger [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/10/14/japanese-hidden-came.html] agrees with me.

This is the sort of thing that could be honestly and severely traumatic. What do you all think: Is this still all in good fun, or does it go too far in its pursuit of laughs?

(Via Geekologie [http://www.geekologie.com/2009/10/highly_questionable_japanese_s.php])

Tyras612

Oct 6, 2009
It was worth it just to see his face :3

EDIT: In all seriousness, was he aware that he was being filmed, etc?

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I want to say this crosses the line, i really do, but the face he made was just too priceless....

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tyras612 said:

Nope. Not until after the fact. It's a hidden camera show.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Wow, that's crossing the line for sure. I mean, jeeze, how you would react? If that were me, I'd probably have wet my pants.

Tyras612

Oct 6, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Then yeah... Thats more then a little cruel. Thinking you're probably going to die is -not- fun.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Ok, that crosses the line twice. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrossesTheLineTwice]

Once, by pulling the prank. Twice, by broadcasting it on national TV. I'm very disappointed in you, Japan. I expect an apology in writing by the end of the day.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
I didn't really laugh, but it is funny.

I hope they gave something to the guy. He looked like he crapped his pants at least five times.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
That is awesome...why can't we have shows like that over here?

Oh wait, we are too sue happy to have fun stuff on TV...

spike0918

Apr 16, 2009
I just dislike little pranks and such but with a whole audience and the man thinking that he is under possible death? I mean how would you react if you were nearly killed by a sniper? I bet you would look just as ridiculous.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Holy Shit!!!

Only in Japan can a prank do psychological damage. I mean, the only other prank I can think of that is............THAT terrifying is this one! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdDV0xNc1mk]

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
Tyras612 said:

Frankly I think this is the only acceptable kind of reality TV.

If the people in the show realize they are in a show it isn't reality TV it is just retarded blather.

I don't want people in a 'post apocalyptic' setting that know it is fake. I want people who think there are marauders outside their hut trying to slaughter them all.

But lawyers will never let that happen.

It would certainly be a life affirming situation for the people involved. Realizing just how frail reality can truly be and just how powerful actual terror feels (coming from a guy who has had someone break into his house before while he was home).

spike0918 said:
I just dislike little pranks and such but with a whole audience and the man thinking that he is under possible death? I mean how would you react if you were nearly killed by a sniper? I bet you would look just as ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure that my heart would stop actually.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I only know that the people who are the victims in shows like these get respected like hell in Japan (for being courageous and having sat through an incredible situation n shit), so I don't think it's that much of a big deal there. It's extreme, yes, and westerners (including me) often don't understand the whole point. But I understand the fact I won't ever understand, so I don't think it crosses any line.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I hate to say it, but the expression on his face was priceless.
I know it was really mean, but, it was so funny!

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
I laughed up until the point the man was confronted with his own mortality when they clicked the gun directly in his face.

He actually thought he was going to die. Not the "OMG IM SO SCARED OF BUNGIE JUMPING" afraid of dying, but the "This is it" kind of dying.

That is too far, way too far.