Does this site ever give you a headache?

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
TomLikesGuitar said:
The only people who really frustrate me ever are hipsters and cynics. Some people can't see the good in anything and feel the need to throw it in your face all the time.
Works both ways, trust me >___________________<

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
triggrhappy94 said:
The closest I get is the "there are no new thread for me to look at" feeling ( the cure for that is a heavy dose of Cracked, Stumbleupon, memes, and rage comics). I ignore the threads that are on things that don't interest me, which is probably a saving grace.
I get that too. I don't know if it's all in my head, but it sure feels like The Escapist has a lot less content than it used to. I suppose all those money issues might be related, but it used to be that every day was a day to look forward to. Now there's one day a week with a side of light reading over breakfast on all other weekdays.

To be fair, I never look beyond the front page or 'latest updates'.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Not really, no. I love this site and pretty much everyone on it gives opinions which are fairly backed-up. I'm a huge fan of this community.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah, it does get frustrating at times, especially when there are people here that seem to directly target me. :O Maybe they're jealous that I'm a Virgo and they aren't! XD Just kidding! ;-)

Anyway, that's kind of why I've pretty much moved on to greener and much nicer pastures. I still come back every now and then, but really it's just for the Zero Punctuations.

DeltaWolfson

May 9, 2011
You have no idea, sometimes the stuff that I see or read here sometimes. I just give up on humanity.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Really? Cos I just spent a couple of hours of League of Legends which makes this place look like The school of fucking Athens by comparison, at least you people dont inspire the sort of dead feeling inside that you get when you realise your part of a community that is 99% unreasonable childish fuckclumps.

Also I havent spent a lot of time on other forums but I get the impression this place is way more civilised than a lot of the other stuff out there.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
loc978 said:
To answer the title: yes, ever since they switched to the blinding white motif, I can't leave this site open on a screen for long without developing a headache.
This so hard. I really think it should be an option to have blue back, even if it was a quick job that had a few issues I think i'd like it better. This grey I currently have isn't much better.

OP:

There was this one guy here who insisted on quoting me every time I said I was done with the thread and intended to leave, then acted superior when I came back when he quoted me telling him to quote someone else instead.

However, ignore lists prevailed. Fucking trolls.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
dogstile said:
loc978 said:
To answer the title: yes, ever since they switched to the blinding white motif, I can't leave this site open on a screen for long without developing a headache.
This so hard. I really think it should be an option to have blue back, even if it was a quick job that had a few issues I think i'd like it better. This grey I currently have isn't much better.

OP:

There was this one guy here who insisted on quoting me every time I said I was done with the thread and intended to leave, then acted superior when I came back when he quoted me telling him to quote someone else instead.

However, ignore lists prevailed. Fucking trolls.
I have to say the blinding white is a little rough, although that godawful font they had going on for a while bugged me way worse. Who seriously thought using a font that looked like a calligraphy student broke his pen nib was a good idea.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
erttheking said:
Frankly I may have stumbled into one too many frustrating conversations today and I want to ask you something, have you ever been on the escapist and found yourself wanting to claw your eyes out? With all of the arguments, conflicting opinions and people just being outright insulting and snobby it's bound to happen sooner or later. I mainly wanted to vent a little bit, care to share any stories of frustration with the rest of us?
It happens, in a forum where open discussion takes places there abound to be a few instances where contradictory opinions will clash and the resulting will probably make your brain hurt, but I think its good, from heated debates and arguments sometimes new knowledge spawns, and viewpoints change.

I must say ive learned a lot from reading posts by other people, though sometimes I will not agree with all of it, I will find things that I didnt know before or find previous information shed in a new light.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah, but I mainly lose faith in humanity when I see somthing like that racist woman on the tram thread-kinda thing. That was a little while ago now. I don't THINK anything too soul-crushing is up at the moment, just hate. I can live with hate.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
It's hard to get your voice heard here because any topic that's gone over a single page has some sort of ongoing argument. I can guarantee that maybe only five or so people, at most, will read this very post, and fewer will respond.

Your identity becomes lost amongst the chaos and bitterness that flow through the forum. It's why I so rarely post. There are many times when I consider responding to someone, even write something in the reply box, but then leave the page without posting because I know there's no damn point - especially not here.

Though I suppose it's not like I have anything to say that hasn't already been covered previously in the topic anyway. What a mess.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Well really, you should just get over it
It's the internet, people are going to argue, and their arguments aren't always going to be logical debates either
Really I expect mass amounts of insults being on this site, there a quite a few people who argue rather than debate a topic

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
No more than any other website. It's all about whether you care to be offended by what you read.

Now, the excessive load-times I encounter about a third the time I'm on here... those give me a headache.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
I really love/hate threads regarding feminism and the video game industry because it's a topic I enjoy discussing. BUT I always no there's going to be those few people who are complete and utter pricks and yet for some reason I still feel the need to scroll through and read all the dumbass comments. It get's frustrating but I eventually put the gun down and get over it :D

Kyr Knightbane

Jan 3, 2012
ShakyFiend said:
Really? Cos I just spent a couple of hours of League of Legends which makes this place look like The school of fucking Athens by comparison, at least you people dont inspire the sort of dead feeling inside that you get when you realise your part of a community that is 99% unreasonable childish fuckclumps.

Also I havent spent a lot of time on other forums but I get the impression this place is way more civilised than a lot of the other stuff out there.
Amen to that brother. Sometimes when playing league of legegendary tools i wish a tactical nuke would strike my house. Some of those people really need to learn that it's a game

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I'm finding a lot of headache inducing threads on the Off-Topic board, most of them from the threads that complain about something trivial

"X is bad"
"X is superior to Y"
"Ponies"
"Rant thread #2495"

You know the drill

C F

Jan 10, 2012
dogstile said:
loc978 said:
Doesn't bother me much. I always use my computer in a well-lit environment, which evens out the otherwise concentrated light source you're staring at. As a matter of fact, there's three windows to the right of me. Of course, if you're in a darkened room...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
No, I love reading why Half Life 2 wasn't that great every week.

Regnes said:
I'm an 8 year veteran of IGN's Vestibule, this place is tame in comparison. Oddly enough though, you're not allowed to cuss over there.
IGN forums were really god awful. I'm surprised you stuck around for eight years :p

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
My too many years on the net have taught me one thing: Arguing ideals and philosophy on forums is near the top of a list of the most pointless and nauseating endeavors one can engage in online.

Because the other side(s), no matter how it ends, always assumes they are right. About everything. The status-quo remains, at all costs because you can NEVER be wrong on the Internet.
Anything they are proven wrong defaults to interpretation, and failing that, attacks on the person making the argument.

For that reason, I avoid the Religion & Politics board entirely; here and everywhere else.
While the Escapists' forums have been much better on average compared to other communities I've visited with the same premise; I've still seen too many arguments made from a rectum's point of view to even bother with.
Besides, I figure I can waste time in more interesting and less painful ways. Few, if anyone actually gives a fuck about another random anonymous name's ideals online, so why bother preaching?

Saulkar

Legacy
Sep 18, 2020
Country
Canuckistan
iBagel said:
Oh and the amount of people claiming to have asbergers.
I have to agree on that one. I was diagnosed after a six month observation period twelve years ago and rediagnosed with it in 2010. The number of people who use (self diagnosed) Aspergers as an excuse for antisocial behavior is appalling and makes it difficult to discuss it online because most people will either assume you are a deplorable fuck witt or a self diagnosed twat. If I had not mentioned that I had Aspergers would you have even known?