Does Trump have a motor disorder?

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So one of my colleagues who's a medical neuroscientist told me about Trump having strange movement at the recent West Point speech. He seemed to have difficulty with the ramp, and when drinking water was only able to get the glass to his mouth with his right hand, having to tip it with his left.

I'm aware that there have been a lot of jokes, but more seriously, she suggested this might be a neurological problem. If so, do we have a right to know what it is, particularly as some motor disorders can be associated with cognitive and behavioural problems?

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
No more or less than the President with a bad back who spent his entire term in office doped to the gills on painkillers and uppers, the one with paralytic polio, or the one with Alzheimer's syndrome.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
No more or less than the President with a bad back who spent his entire term in office doped to the gills on painkillers and uppers, the one with paralytic polio, or the one with Alzheimer's syndrome.
We may soon have to qualify, "Which one with Alzheimer's?"

Dementia has been setting in with my grandparents for a few years now and the symptoms are disturbingly similar to what we keep seeing with Trump. Loss of motor control, slurred speech, sluggish walking, dragging the feet, always kind of weary and slightly confused. It's not a pleasant sight, to say the least.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Yeah, he’s old and dying. I think people should have a right to know if he’s going senile or dying, but we won’t know. Reagan is an excellent example of this. Too much of a “national security concern”

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So one of my colleagues who's a medical neuroscientist told me about Trump having strange movement at the recent West Point speech. He seemed to have difficulty with the ramp, and when drinking water was only able to get the glass to his mouth with his right hand, having to tip it with his left.

I'm aware that there have been a lot of jokes, but more seriously, she suggested this might be a neurological problem. If so, do we have a right to know what it is, particularly as some motor disorders can be associated with cognitive and behavioural problems?
Given all the shit JFK was on and FDR's imminent death not being considered relevant enough to even tell his own vice president about it. No. I imagine they don't consider it our right to know the health of the president.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Given all the shit JFK was on and FDR's imminent death not being considered relevant enough to even tell his own vice president about it. No. I imagine they don't consider it our right to know the health of the president.
To be fair, FDR went through Vice Presidents like tissues. He hated all of them and solely used them as political props.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
To be fair, FDR went through Vice Presidents like tissues. He hated all of them and solely used them as political props.
It's still rather irresponsible to be pretty aware of your death and not give any forewarning to the guy that's going to take over after you.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think Harry Truman (MO, represent!) is the only president I know of to not have any major health issues before leaving office.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
It's still rather irresponsible to be pretty aware of your death and not give any forewarning to the guy that's going to take over after you.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think Harry Truman (MO, represent!) is the only president I know of to not have any major health issues before leaving office.
Truman was the last person FDR would’ve said anything to. There’s a reason Truman had no idea nukes existed.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Garner was a do-nothing machine politician concerned only with his own position who was against New Deal policies before we was for them as a matter of political convenience, and FDR dumped him against party bosses' will for being a useless sack of manure. Wallace and FDR did not like each other but had mutual respect and worked exceptionally well together, FDR gave Wallace more power and more say than was customary for any VP before him, and FDR wanted him as VP in the event FDR should die in office because FDR and Wallace strongly aligned on policy positions.

Party bosses revolted against FDR and popular support, to nominate Truman as FDR's running mate against FDR's will, in one of the most historic and notorious floor fights in Democratic convention history. Because Wallace supported ending segregation.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Garner was a do-nothing machine politician concerned only with his own position who was against New Deal policies before we was for them as a matter of political convenience, and FDR dumped him against party bosses' will for being a useless sack of manure. Wallace and FDR did not like each other but had mutual respect and worked exceptionally well together, FDR gave Wallace more power and more say than was customary for any VP before him, and FDR wanted him as VP in the event FDR should die in office because FDR and Wallace strongly aligned on policy positions.

Party bosses revolted against FDR and popular support, to nominate Truman as FDR's running mate against FDR's will, in one of the most historic and notorious floor fights in Democratic convention history. Because Wallace supported ending segregation.
Strange, because from what I've read, that had nothing to do with Truman being chosen and FDR was very blaise about who would be his VP.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Strange, because from what I've read, that had nothing to do with Truman being chosen and FDR was very blaise about who would be his VP.
FDR also had to wade the treacherous and increasingly unsustainable waters of transitional Democratic politics, diametrically split as they were between northern unionist machines and southern old boy networks, to keep the New Deal coalition alive. That would be why one of the New Deal's defining features was rural modernization and subsidy programs focused on Southern economic development -- to keep Southern political bosses happy.

Ironically, as Secretary of Agriculture during FDR's first two terms, these programs' strongest champion was Wallace himself. Republicans' catastrophic reticence to address building agricultural issues and the economic burden placed on rural America was why he left the Republican party and joined the Democrats in the first place.

FDR wasn't stupid and knew well he hadn't control over the party bosses as in 1940, ailing and concerned with war abroad opposed to domestic issues as he was; he knew a losing battle when he saw it. Backing Wallace and losing anyway would cost him catastrophically in political capital, if not divide the party further between northern and southern factions. Hence, a vague and non-committal endorsement of Wallace going into the convention.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I just figure it's "old man moves awkwardly" stuff. I mean, with Trump's entire litany of bullshit to look at, a 74 year old man who's lived a jet-setting and fast food is just gonna be weird like that

Reactions: MrCalavera

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Well Phil Coulson in agents of shield lost the ability to do certain stuff he'd learn muscle memory wise

*Whistles the X files theme*

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in one of the big allied powers conferences in WW2 towards the end, Churchill was frustrated because Roosevelt (clearly reaching the end) seemed extremely listless and was ineffectual at resisting Stalin's constant demands. That's not exactly ideal in a president.

I think there is a certain logic to not making people aware of some illnesses under national security, but stuff that involves cognitive decline and behavioural abnormalities in the lead up to an election is a different matter. I think we have a right to know whether a candidate we elect is likely to be of sound mind for their term of office. If there is a substantial risk not, we can still elect them in anyway, after all.

I just figure it's "old man moves awkwardly" stuff. I mean, with Trump's entire litany of bullshit to look at, a 74 year old man who's lived a jet-setting and fast food is just gonna be weird like that
Sure, there will be a decline in physical capability with age, and Trump has clearly not looked after his physical condition as he could, which could speed deterioration (major risk factors for development of Alzheimer's are the same as major risk factors for cardiovascular disease - high blood pressure, overweight, etc.). But on the other hand...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The only reason I wouldn't just call this whole thing bullshit is because apparently even before the media really started caring he started tweeting excuses for it. But, this is pretty close to the stupid bullshit side of news that you are better off just ignoring.