does your level of expertise in a certain subject affect how you watch films/ play games etc

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Madman123456 said:
How's the Situation in other Languages? Do the Americans rape your Language as well? :D
Oh they did that centuries ago. :p (Just kidding we love you really, yanks ^_^)

OT: Anything with physics or computers. My dad does it with aircraft and militaria a lot. With my sister it's music and for mum it's writing (as in the characters doing it, not the story). We're a very nitpicky family.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Yes. Working in IT for years makes me mad every time someone "hacks" something. Most of those movies are not serious enough to ruin the movie, but its serious enough when that is a mayor plot point.
Madman123456 said:
It's not that hard to find a german, we aren't all that rare. Then again, i always get a good extra laugh out of those Actors trying to convince americans that they're german.
How's the Situation in other Languages? Do the Americans rape your Language as well? :D
Yes. A lot...
Its weird that it happens, considering the huge latino population in LA, but it happens. Lately it got better, though.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
This probably isn't expertise but I've always been good at estimating distance and after firing off a round from any sniper rifle in battlefield 3 I can pretty much get the proper height above a far away target and how much I should lead for a far running target without thinking. I also love history so that helps with books and movies sometimes it adds a dimension to a scene in a movie that my other friends don't get.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Dont know if this has been mentioned

The bit in Jurassic park where they clone dinosaurs from the dna out of a mosquito, being a layman when it comes to cloning I could tell you it should only produce a clone of that mosquito.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
flarty said:

The bit in Jurassic park where they clone dinosaurs from the dna out of a mosquito, being a layman when it comes to cloning I could tell you it should only produce a clone of that mosquito.
They're cloning from the DNA in the blood the mosquito drank from the dinosaurs, though it would likely have decayed irrevocably even before the mosquito was fossilised.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
DazBurger said:
First of, thoes are not longswords, its bastardswords, the bastard child of the longsword and the greatsword.
Secondly, most of these techniques aren't possible when wearing heavy armor, which were the thing you did during war, so this is either completely made up or made for dueling-purposes.
The term longsword could be applied to the Roman spatha which was a one-handed blade. The modern version of the term is interchangeable with bastard and hand-and-a-half. All three terms mean ths ame thing.
They are taken from manuals scribed by Hans Talhoffer, who wrote them in the 1400s when people were fighting in plate armor with these swords.

gh0ti

Apr 10, 2008
History is the big one for me.

It annoys me when Hollywood reinforces the kind of bloke-down-the-pub recollection of events (e.g. evil, expansionist England defeated by plucky, underdog Scots in Braveheart). Or the ever-popular, selfless Americans single-handedly defeat Nazi Germany despite incompetent Allies.

On the other hand, sometimes history needs streamlining or sexing-up to make better movies (Kingdom of Heaven extended edition is a personal favourite).

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
I have no expertise in anything, so my dumb brain and I can suspend our disbelief very happily and effortlessly. I'm also quite gullible; that helps. I've seen a long string of mediocre movies lately though, so that's made me a bit less willing to accept any sort of improbability. I don't mind stories that don't really make sense, in fact I like them. As long as they remain consistent to their established world that is.

Once in Veronica Mars (TV series, 2007ish?), the titular heroine poses as a "gamer girl" and enters a videogame tournament. Her and two others were playing what looked like Unreal Tournament (2003??) on a couch with three controllers, but there was only one player being controlled on the screen. That looked pretty silly. ...Maybe it was the Dreamcast or PS2 version of Unreal Tournament? Despite that, you still can't play a shooter tourney sharing control of the same avatar.

Today I saw a Sports Bar named 'Bout Time. Which would have made sense, other than there being a hypen before the "B." So, its real name is a truncated About Time. About Time the Sports Bar?? Bout is a word, it means fight. A synonym for "fighting" being placed above their boxing glove logo would have made sense, there was no need for a hypen, silly Sports Bar. It's like some strange double pun!?

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Being an aircraft enthusiastic, I do realize that a lot of what I see in video games and movies is bullshit. Yet it doesn't really bother me (The Ace Combat series is one of my favorite video game series). Usually I just go "meh" and shrug it off.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Samantha Burt said:
flarty said:

They're cloning from the DNA in the blood the mosquito drank from the dinosaurs, though it would likely have decayed irrevocably even before the mosquito was fossilised.
A mosquito is not a living syringe, once a mosquito feeds it digest the blood, and pretty damn quickly too since they are so small, they dont just store the blood.

nexi01

Jan 31, 2012
Spectral Dragon said:
Well... Sometimes I wince at physics and what little technobabble I can safely decipher. And biology, or stuff like that. Not very knowledgeable but enough so that knowing TWO PEOPLE ON THE SAME KEYBOARD CAN NOT STOP A HACKING ATTEMPT NO MATTER HOW FAST THEY TYPE. Damn you CSI...
It was NCIS that did this.

Video games, grammar, physics and general logic.
That scene in Charlies Angels 2 where the kids are playing final fantasy 8 talking about boobies. They don't have any GFs junctioned >.< I can understand there are no GF runs but that seems a little unlikely in this case. (yes I know the vast majority of the movie was full of implausibilities but they were like that for the popcorn factor.

Any monologue moments. I get their purpose from an entertainment point of view but realistically, unless you are sure you are alone with your adversary and he is securely restrained then you are being a bad super villain.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
RustlessPotato said:
Yeah. I'm a biomedical student and have been so for 2 years. It's annoying when some shows get some things wrong. (or Shampoo commercials, where the shampoo had special Keratine Amino Acid to strengthen your hair. KERATINE AMINO ACID? ARE YOU SERIOUS ? ).
They probably mean glycine, at least I hope. Hair is mostly glycine, even though it smells like cysteine. A reasonable amount of people know that hair and nails are made from keratin, not quite so many know that keratin is mostly glycine with a good mixing of other amino acids. I could chalk that up to not wanting to over complicate things for laypeople.

One that was really bad was on Fringe, some sympathetic villain says that being injected with restriction enzymes would 'trigger a massive hemorrhage'. I was like "girl, please", plus "why are they red?"

Around 80% (made up percent) of the solutions I've worked with in a lab have been clear.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Sadly, my main expertise IS playing games and watching movies...

-goes and cries in a corner-

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I studied Psychology and for starters, anything to do with the police? No. Just no. Profiling is bullshit.

But beyond that, Psychology tends to be viewed in a very Freud/Jungian sort of way half the time, and as magical psychic powers the rest of the time. Psychology would be a lot more respected if movies gave Freud the same level of credence as actual Psychologists. Which is to say ABSOLUTELY NONE. No, your dreams arn't important. No, we don't care what you have to say about your mother. No, we can't read your minds or hypnotize you like that, and research is a lot less case study, and a lot more spending hours plugging numbers into SPSS so you can spend days running various statistical tests. And then you can confirm that you can't establish statistical significance, lie to the people funding you, and hope that the people reading the study knows what these numbers mean, and pray for the day when the general public understands the idea of Correlation not being Causation.

Tyler Trahan

Sep 27, 2011
I'm not an "expert" with guns, but I have a feeling that most movies are made with no consulting help on weaponry what so ever. Some movies get it really well, but I swear to god I watch more TV shows or action movies and want to correct how someone is holding a pistol or rifle about every 5 damn seconds. My other nitpicks are stupid shit like seeing people type when they are obviously just bashing keys on the keyboard, playing games or driving when they are OBVIOUSLY not doing either. Is it really that hard to have a game on the TV which no one can see and just have it on mute or something?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
flarty said:
Samantha Burt said:
flarty said:

A mosquito is not a living syringe, once a mosquito feeds it digest the blood, and pretty damn quickly too since they are so small, they dont just store the blood.
I'm pretty sure that they mention that they get the DNA when they happen to find a mosquito that drank from a dinosaur and then immediately got stuck in Amber. Granted they only need to find one, but that is definately a hell of a lot of mosquitos to find, and sort through all the ones without even a trace use useable blood. Id say the whole, "They decay over millions of years" thing is the bigger problem.

Grumpy Ginger

Jul 9, 2012
I've got three
1. Historical fencing makes most sword fights look really silly and don't even talk about spinning around. Concerning flat vs blade parrying lets leave that flame war for another day.
2.I'm studying an ancient history degree so Troy and King Arthur were just absurd to me.Woad painted English Celts after the Roman invasion, really?
3. Nobody knows how to do CPR in movies or TV properly how hard would it be to use a dummy when they are doing it so you can compress the chest.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
It can mess with my perception of things sometimes, but as a huge comic fan, on the verge of a comic historian if I didn't learn how to shut it off I'd have to hate on every single live-action or animated adaptation of said works instead of loving the ones that take an more original take and hating the ones that "try to hard."

Besides that, having been a hacker and a programmer in my youth it is annoying to see it in media, but like I said... I learned to turn that stuff off.

If I didn't there is very little I could enjoy.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone in a movie who follows the "Too Dumb To Live" Trope.

There's a police station right there you dumbass! Why are you sawing off your foot when your perfectly working cell phone is a few feet away!

More examples.