Does your University treat you like an adult?

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
Well, I'm about to find out. I start at university tomorrow, and from what I've heard so far, the staff are pretty good. Just a matter of time, I guess.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Of course they do. As long as you act like an adult I don't see why they'd treat me otherwise. This isn't high school and the people there are of age so it's not their place to treat you in any other way.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
SaetonChapelle said:
"Now remember, what does a paper need? A thesis, middle, and conclusion! Dont forget your sources!!"
I would have said long chain cellulose fibres.

OT: I start orientation is less that 12 hrs and they'd better treat me like an Adult. I've already been tried as an Adult twice.

Come to think of it, they should treat all the students as Adults (even the ones that still have a few months before they legally reach that status) because I'm going to end up with a fountain of black blood spurting from my forehead if my lectures and tutorials keep grinding to a halt for overgrown brats who still need someone to metaphorically wipe their arses (it better only be metaphorical).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Yeah, they expect us to be present when we've got lab and mandatory meetings, otherwise our schedule is our business.

The professors are usually talking to us as equals even when asked incredibly stupid questions.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Sure. I never thought otherwise.
Real life is not as "grown up " as you would expect it to be anyways.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
shadyh8er said:
But my campus did recently ban smoking. I can see how that can be interpreted as not treating people like adults.
Ennnhhh... not so much... Heaps of places are banning smoking these days.

My uni has a smoking ban on all campuses but luckily for me and all the other students and staff who share my filthy, evil habit, the main campus is small enough to nip off grounds for a puff when the need strikes.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Angie7F said:
Sure. I never thought otherwise.
Real life is not as "grown up " as you would expect it to be anyways.
Shhhhh... don't ruin the joke. It's always piss funny when some young'un thinks they're being 'grown up' by being a miserable killjoy.

Of course, I never grew up, I just got older.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
shadyh8er said:
It really depends on the professor honestly. But my campus did recently ban smoking. I can see how that can be interpreted as not treating people like adults.
Smoking is practically forbidden anywhere large groups of people congregate, though. Is it the kind of campus you live in? Because I've often enough resided in a place where they didn't want you to smoke for resale reasons.

OT: Yeah, of course. Though some of my friends who study law or some variety are obligated to show up for certain classes, but that's more because those classes in the end are more important than the exams. But I get full free reign on wether I choose to go to classes or stay home and wank. I always go though, I was sick for a week once and had to spend half a month lagging behind the course, not understanding a word anyone said, just desperately trying to keep up. I have no desire to repeat that exercise in frstration.

Mar 9, 2010
bojackx said:
Well, I got told off like a 5 year old for turning up late to a lab day because of my train being cancelled (I would later learn this was due to a landslide on the tracks, and not due to weather which is what the teacher was adamant was the cause, saying I should have checked the weather forecast beforehand), so I'd have to say that I don't feel like I'm being treated like an adult.

On top of that, he says if I'm late again then I'll just be sent away (each lab session is assessed and goes towards my final grade) which is the kind of crap I wouldn't even expect at any age.

I'm paying £9000-a-year jackass, don't force me to lose marks unnecessarily.
I'm fairly certain he can't send you away during lab classes legitimately, if he does just talk to your personal tutor or course leader about how much of a **** nugget he is.

OT: We're pretty much treated as adults at my uni. We have to sign a register every session but that's because turning up during the first 6 weeks is worth 10% of the grade and doing the work in each of those sessions is worth 30% so they need to know who turned up. Otherwise we have pretty much free reign. After those 6 weeks last semester I stopped going in and did all of my work at home since it was all coursework. It was definitely a mistake though, I was far too lazy and missed some decent sessions that would have helped my work.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, though I would be glad if they were a little more unforgiving for those who come late. Some people come late EVERY time and disturb the class, coincidentally, it seems that it's the south europeans that do that mostly.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Germany here, they mostly treat me like one, although the monitor the attendance of lectures in certain courses, but since I would go to them anyways I am not really bothered with it.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
I think if it is clear that you haven't been studying they tend to treat you like a kid. Though I find it varies from department, every department has registers but the computing department couldn't care less if I never turn up. Aslong as I'm passing. The business department however, I had missed 2 tutorials in 4 weeks and they threatened to fail me if I missed another. It wouldn't be so bad but it was an elective class and the tutor was Asian and couldn't speak English very well. So why the fuck would I waste my time going?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Yes? Not really sure what else to add, only thing that I have to do is show up to the exam. For courses that got lab assignment, get a signature on each assignment to show that I did them.