Domestic Violence Hotline Reports 99% Increase in Calls Post-Roe

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Grimly predictable.

Abusive partners of course love weaponising children, because they're an incredibly powerful way to prevent their partners firmly separating from them. Even if the partner manages separation and divorce, children offer a world of opportunities for continued and legally-binding contact, attempts to control and general harassment.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Waiting for one of our resident apologists to tell us how this is just "incentivizing women to stay in the relationship for the sake of the children".
Ooh, how about a Jordan Peterson style approach? "What do you mean by 'Domestic'? Can you define 'Violence' first? How am I supposed to know what you're saying, without defining your terms? Did you know crabs engage in domestic violence? Doesn't that make you think?"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Ooh, how about a Jordan Peterson style approach? "What do you mean by 'Domestic'? Can you define 'Violence' first? How am I supposed to know what you're saying, without defining your terms? Did you know crabs engage in domestic violence? Doesn't that make you think?"
Nice impression, but you forgot the part where he literally starts crying about it.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean the headline is insanely dishonest. They didn't have a 99% increase in calls, they had a 99% increase in people mentioning control of reproductive decisions in calls. That's 0.4% of the calls they receive.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would be certain instances went up, but I would hesitate to take jezebel as a good source, they are insanely biased.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I made through the first two words. Crystal Justice is not a good name for a person.

Anyway I lied and actually read some of it for context. Like, yeah, the total number of calls matters much more. But besides that, y'know, I'm 100% behind the idea that there is no "reproductive coersion" if a woman decides to keep a baby that the man doesn't want (it's on the guy for not pulling out or whatever), and that should go the other way around too. If your man is getting assmad over terminating the pregnancy then that's on you, girl. Obviously no access to abortion simplifies this issue, but I'm looking at California here with them making reproductive coersion a form of sexual assault in law.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The facts of the case are indeed grim, but that headline is really misleading. There wasn't a 99% increase in calls they received. There was a 99% increase in calls mentioning reproductive coercion. Still very bad, obviously.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I mean the headline is insanely dishonest. They didn't have a 99% increase in calls, they had a 99% increase in people mentioning control of reproductive decisions in calls. That's 0.4% of the calls they receive.
How about the source article?

Though Crystal Justice as a name sounds more lke a final fantasy character or spell IMO.

Nice impression, but you forgot the part where he literally starts crying about it.
Damnit, knew I was forgetting something!

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Jordan Peterson: "You can't have honest conversations with women. They're too emotional"
Also Jordan Peterson: *literally starts crying over a fucking Disney film*

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Sadly the incentive structure for retribution against Roe, and anti-abortion isn't very good. Romania proved that governments can get away with banning abortion, and there will be no consequences to doing so. The worst I heard was basically 'Well women will have a ton of abortions after the abortion ban gets overturned', or 'Well women will vote out the government' Both are non-credible threats. The worst I heard in the US was some person spray-painted a pregnancy crisis center. That literally does nothing. No one ever even burns down a building, or riots because of Roe which are both more effective, but not effective enough. A better solution would be to target the evangelical preachers, and the billionaires funding this, but everyone is too scared to do so.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Not to mention they also forgot the part where Jordon Peterson takes 5 minutes to say something in a very very overly complicated way that could've been said in 5 seconds in simpler language. All to hide the fact that he actually hasn't said anything and is just trying to sound smart to fool his audience into thinking he's actually right. It's like a guy wearing a lab coat on a TV commercial to look like he's an authority on medicine despite the fact that he's actually just a paid actor. Lots of stupid people fall for it.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Jezebel would be familiar with abuse - they did write that piece where they laughed about hitting their male SOs and on another date had to apologize to Chris Brown.

"What do you mean by 'Domestic'? Can you define 'Violence' first?
Defining your terms is generally important. Especially in a world where someone can consider "I hit him, I didn't punch him" to be a valid argument.

but I'm looking at California here with them making reproductive coersion a form of sexual assault in law.
Another case where I'd be curious about exact definitions.