Dominion sues Rudy Giuliani for defamation

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I like how, right in the first paragraph, they call it the "Big Lie", just right off the bat invoking Hitler.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I like how, right in the first paragraph, they call it the "Big Lie", just right off the bat invoking Hitler.
Considering believers in Giuliani and Trump's lie stormed the US Capitol Building in an attempt to overthrow the results of a democratic election and kidnap/murder elected representatives, the comparison ain't that far off.

pro-tip: If you don't want to be compared to fascists, don't act like fucking fascists.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Considering believers in Giuliani and Trump's lie stormed the US Capitol Building in an attempt to overthrow the results of a democratic election and kidnap/murder elected representatives, the comparison ain't that far off.

pro-tip: If you don't want to be compared to fascists, don't act like fucking fascists.
I'm no history buff, but I'm unaware of Nazis storming their house of government in an attempt to overturn anything.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Thanks, that proves my point.
No, it doesn't.

People had their minds made up and trenches dug before seeing any evidence.
People saw plenty of evidence. It's been fed to them on a steady basis for years. And the people aren't complete idiots, you know. At least the ones who didn't vote for Trump. They have at least a somewhat functional pattern recognition ability. And many of them know how the election system works and how unlikely it is to commit voter fraud, especially on a grand scale. And a lot of people saw pretty much YEARS in advance that Trump would attempt to delegitimize the elections by claiming that Democrats were engaging in election fraud.

So no, people didn't make up their minds without any evidence. They arrived at the logical conclusion following the available data.

You, on the other hand have no fuckin' excuse for your continued ignorance. None whatsoever.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I'm no history buff, but I'm unaware of Nazis storming their house of government in an attempt to overturn anything.
Don't worry, your inability to both understand metaphors and comparisons is already well-documented on these forums. We all just kind of work around it at this point.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Don't worry, your inability to both understand metaphors and comparisons is already well-documented on these forums. We all just kind of work around it at this point.
So you insist that you're right, you just can't demonstrate how? Okay.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, defamation has a pretty high bar in regard to burden on proof. Presumably the judge has reviewed the submissions and determined that despite best efforts, Guiliani has failed to make any kind of significant dent in Dominion’s reputation to warrant sanctions under the law.

So in this case it’s not so much that Rudy is innocent, it’s just his attempts at being guilty (for lack of a better word) were pathetically inept and ergo unsuccessful. So yeah, Dominion lost the court case but they also kind of win.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
No

It's 107 pages and I got up to page 30. Anything else interesting other than the suits not blaming Dominion at all, 'Chavez controlling the voting machines' or extensive info on Guilliani's supplements?
Not really. How suits like this works is you name the party who trashed you, you provide evidence of them trashing you, you provide evidence of any attempts of a good-faith resolution (asking someone to retract their statements), and then you point to all of it and say "they were being dicks, we tried to resolve this, they kept being dicks, we want money". In terms of that, this is frankly a rather bare-bones document.

What's mildly noteworthy is that the document is extremely long, but not padded in any obvious way (well, okay the font is a little large but that gained them maybe a couple pages). Which is to say, Rudy was being such a dick for such a length of time they managed to fill the bulk of a 100+ page document with unique examples of dickatry. I've definitely read documents this long (and unfortunately longer) but usually they're padded all to fuck with flowery language and really thorough, exhaustively documented events. In this case it reads like bullet points. "He did this, then a couple days later he did this, then public statements that demonstrated his claim was false were made, then he kept doing that".

I guess the other interesting fact is the dietary supplement thing, and the subscription service thing - basically they're trying to link Rudy making money to him being a dick. That's part of their huge demand. They're going to try to argue that Rudy defaming them was done with the intent to be an advertisement for his products, so they're entitled to the money he made at their expense.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, defamation has a pretty high bar in regard to burden on proof. Presumably the judge has reviewed the submissions and determined that despite best efforts, Guiliani has failed to make any kind of significant dent in Dominion’s reputation to warrant sanctions under the law.
What was the judge's name?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
The Munich Putsch was the beginning of a plan to do just that.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Let me guess. If she doesn't win then her election was rigged too?
I don't know why anyone who believes the election was rigged would ever vote or run in an election, cause, yeah, what do they expect to happen?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't know why anyone who believes the election was rigged would ever vote or run in an election, cause, yeah, what do they expect to happen?
You're absolutely right. And there isn't anything that can give them that security that it's never rigged

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Oh, no... wait..... come back..............

Reactions: tippy2k2

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
You're absolutely right. And there isn't anything that can give them that security that it's never rigged
If you give them the benefit of the doubt, then the thing that could give them assurance is all the forensic audits and stuff that they were asking for.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
If you give them the benefit of the doubt, then the thing that could give them assurance is all the forensic audits and stuff that they were asking for.
I’d very much doubt it. The last election was the most audited election in history. By a long shot, More audits isn’t going to cure the problem

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Why would we give them the benefit of the doubt? Their actions in November alone cost them that with the Jan 6 coup attempt being the final nail in the coffin.

Reactions: CaitSeith