Donald Glover to Become (Animated) Spider-Man

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Donald Glover to Become (Animated) Spider-Man

[Usatoday=3749098885001&playerID=2207682275001]

Community star will finally get to be Spider-Man as an animated Miles Morales

In 2010, back before Sony's reboot of the Spider-Man franchise had selected Andrew Garfield as its new Peter Parker, then-Community star Donald Glover expressed interest in the role on social media. As this hypothetical casting would have made Glover the first black Spider-Man, it touched off a Miles Morales [http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/06/donald_glover_as_spider-man_li.html?hpid=news-col-blog] - a half-black/half-latino teenager who takes over for the deceased Peter Parker of the alternate "Ultimate" Marvel Universe.

Now, Glover will get to become the character he helped to inspire: While Disney XD's animated Ultimate Spider-Man animated series (which is not an adaptation of the Ultimate comics despite the name) has stuck with a traditional Peter Parker as its main character, the impending third season - re-branded with the subtitle Web Warriors - will feature a running mult-episode storyline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135463-Miles-Morales-Spider-Girl-Spider-Ham-More-in-Ultimate-Spider-Man-Season-3] in which Peter will encounter Spider-Men (and woman) from alternate dimensions... including Glover as the voice of the first animated incarnation of Miles Morales.

While many plot details have yet to be unveiled for the new season (which will also feature Spider-Man joining The Avengers), it was previously revealed that in addition to Miles the roster of alternate Spider-Men will include Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Man 2099, a new version of Spider-Girl and Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham. [http://marvel.wikia.com/Peter_Porker_(Earth-8311)]

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/08/26/donald-glover-ultimate-spider-man-exclusive/14559815/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Dammit, this show hits so many right buttons with great cameos and fan baiting, but Peter Parker is such an unlikable douchebag that just hearing him speak makes me grit my teeth. He's Ferris Bueller without the charm and I already think Ferris is an asshole. This is the animated series that JUST WON'T GO AWAY.

*sobs* I just want Spectacular Spiderman back...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know, he actually suited for the role perfectly! Heck he really would be the ideal older Miles Morale in a live action show/ film.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Why is he wearing a black suite. Reminds me of Power Ranger where the the only black kid wore the only black suit. I just find it really distracting.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Magmarock said:
Why is he wearing a black suite. Reminds me of Power Ranger where the the only black kid wore the only black suit. I just find it really distracting.
That's his suit from the comics,

he changed from standard spidey as people considered it bad taste to copy Peter Parker. Plus, he's a mid-teenage boy, and therefore black is COOL.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
Glover does the voice justice. Let's hope the series is actually good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DrunkenElfMage said:
*pats you no the shoulder* We all do. We all do.

*shakes fist* How many people must you crush, Disney?????

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Magmarock said:
In fairness, it's not the only black suit.

Just off the top of my head.

Neither Peter nor Miguel were black.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I really just wish Miles Morales were just 2 years older at least. 13 just seems way too young to be a Superhero. Granted 15 isnt much better, but I can deal with it.
Also, wow, Donald Glover does a really good job here, kinda makes me wish that there was an Ultimate Spiderman comic about Miles Morales with him doing VA full time on it. Itd be interesting at least

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I wish all of this was in a much better series. This is probably the most unlikable Peter Parker created, and I partially blame it for sidelining my favorite Marvel hero, Richard Rider, the original Nova, in favor of upstart Sam.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
Had the same thought(and hope) when I clicked this story. Bummer it's an arc to mirror the comics' "every spider-man" arc that I've been hearing about.
Glover sounds good for the part, anyway.

vid87

May 17, 2010
It's only been 4 years? For some reason it feels a lot longer. I thought it was kind've funny how they keep skirting the main issue in the trailer: "You're Spiderman? But you're....so young."

Also, from Bendis' quote from the link about why Miles is relevant: "There are very few people in the world who look like Captain America". Waiter, my compliments to the chef: this irony is delicious.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
:) I quite like the writing here. I've not seen any animated Spiderman shows, so I don't have much to compare it to but this was nicely paced and executed.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
you know how they should have done amazing spider-man right? it should have had a film adaption of Ultimate spider-man's death. tobey maguire doing a monologue about with great power comes great responsibility and all that jazz as it shows him take a bullet for a hostage (not Captain America because contracts) and then moving on with Kirsten Dunst as Mary jane, knowing peter's identity contacts Rosemary Harris as May parker to warn her. I think if it was done right it would have worked so well in Sony's favour instead of rebooting it.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Magmarock said:
Thats only 2 seasons in all of the franchise. Black guys typically wear blue or red.

OT: So much yes I been wanting Miles to get his own stuff and this is his chance to shine outside of the comics.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wild and probably bad idea: For the movies, have Kamala Khan become Spider-Woman instead of Ms. Marvel.