Donkey Kong King to Attempt to Break His Own Record

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Donkey Kong King to Attempt to Break His Own Record

It's on like, well, like Donkey Kong, in the ongoing saga of one of the world's oldest arcade games.

Steve Wiebe , the reigning champion of Donkey Kong and one of the stars of the King of Kong documentary, will attempt to beat his own high-score of 1,064,500 to celebrate the re-opening of a Chicago hardware store.

Wiebe will appear at Logan's Hardware [http://www.logan-hardware.com/] when it opens on January 15th. Aside from the goods you'd expect to find in a hardware store, Logan's also has a collection of classic arcade machines, including the likes of Asteroids, Pac-Man and, of course, Donkey Kong. Wiebe will try to break his record three times over the course of the day, in ninety-minute play sessions, separated by half hour breaks.

As well as his attempts to one-up himself, Weibe will also teach a short class about playing Donkey Kong, as well as take part in a Q&A session. Admittance is on a first come, first served basis, and costs $12.

The battle to be Donkey Kong champion is pretty hard fought. Wiebe only regained the title from his rival Billy Mitchell in September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103629-Donkey-Kong-World-Record-Reclaimed-by-the-Nice-Guy], who in turn captured it only in July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102640-Donkey-Kong-King-Reclaims-His-Throne]. Documented cases of players scoring more than a million points in Donkey Kong in public are few and far between however, meaning that it if Wiebe manages to widen the gap between him and Mitchell, it will be doubly special.

Source: Via Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/12/king-of-kong-steve-wiebe.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rssamp;comments=1]

NuclearPenguin

Oct 29, 2009
..You can teach a class how to play Donkey Kong?
Are you sure this isnt the plot for an early 80's movie? Theres gotta be a BMX chase in there somewhere and the word "Rad"

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
NuclearPenguin said:
..You can teach a class how to play Donkey Kong?
Are you sure this isnt the plot for an early 80's movie? Theres gotta be a BMX chase in there somewhere and the word "Rad"
I lol'd, I still remember watching Rad as a kid and we all thought it was the shit.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Fasckira said:
$12 to be told how to play Donkey Kong? Really?
You try and get even 1/4 of the score this guy does on one of those old machines. =p Those guys know that game inside and out.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I have something to say about steve webie and billy michel.
there both good freinds of each other. The king of kong made steve look like a bad guy for drama. the part were Billy wont let Steve see how he gets his high score isnt entirly true, he doesnt let steve see at first because he wanted to show the ref and his freinds first(there only so much room around the arcade machine, plus it is his high score) but he did show steve what he did after people stopped gathering around the machine. And Billy does introduce his wife and kid to steve, it was just cut out. so ya the guy who made that movie is an ass, but the people its about are not.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
They need to grow the fuck up and get a job.........crafting items in WOW and selling them in the Auction House, like real adults.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Bigeyez said:
You try and get even 1/4 of the score this guy does on one of those old machines. =p Those guys know that game inside and out.
Yeah, dont get me wrong, I appreciate that the guy has some serious skills when it comes to the game but I dont think many people these days will see the value in paying $12 to be taught how to play an 80s classic game!

I would think its definetly a niche market to say the least. :p

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
Infernal_Me said:
zombie711 said:
I have something to say about steve webie and billy michel.
there both good freinds of each other. The king of kong made steve look like a bad guy for drama. the part were Billy wont let Steve see how he gets his high score isnt entirly true, he doesnt let steve see at first because he wanted to show the ref and his freinds first(there only so much room around the arcade machine, plus it is his high score) but he did show steve what he did after people stopped gathering around the machine. And Billy does introduce his wife and kid to steve, it was just cut out. so ya the guy who made that movie is an ass, but the people its about are not.
Seems like you kind of took it personal. Obviously they trumph up the bad guy as being bad and the good guy as good. Thats what makes it watchable otherwise it would just be uber nerds talking about DK for 2 hours. Obviously there is a mutual respect between them you can even tell that by watching the movie. As for the Directer being an ass who knows maybe?

On topic the 12 dollars seems worth it. You are not only getting tips but you get to pick his brain.
both steve and billy did not like what the directer did to the way things actually were, and tried to tell people how the film is heavly edited.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Great to see that Mr. Wiebe is still wanting to stay on top. Hopefully he can top his score even more and just make it that much more difficult for Billy to try again.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I don't see why they allow breaks, the original cabinet doesn't allow breaks. If you're going to break the rules why stop there? Maybe you can just write a computer program to play the game for you, I'm sure with enough time you could write one to solve the game entirely (meaning that it would never lose and play perfectly every time).