Don't Buy Scorpio If You Don't Have 4K, Says Microsoft Boss

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Don't Buy Scorpio If You Don't Have 4K, Says Microsoft Boss

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329137.jpg
Not part of the 4K gaming master race? Then Scorpio isn't for you, says Microsoft.

By far the most exciting announcement from this year's E3 was Microsoft's confirmation of super console Eurogamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167707-Microsoft-Ends-E3-Presser-By-Announcing-Yet-Another-New-Console-Project-Scorpio], Microsoft big wig Phil Spencer has made it completely clear: don't buy Project Scorpio if you don't have a 4K TV.

"Scorpio is not going to do anything for [1080p TVs]. Scorpio is designed as a 4K console, and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see," said Spencer. "Clearly, you can buy Scorpio, and if and when you decide you want to buy a 4K television to take advantage of the increased performance, obviously the console will be ready for you."

He instead recommended that those who are still using these clearly antiquated and ancient 1080p TVs to instead purchase the Xbox One S [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167703-Microsoft-Shows-Off-New-Xbox-One-S-at-E3-Presser] - which will feature a slight performance upgrade over the standard Xbox One.

"So, Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for."

From the sounds of things, it looks like Scorpio is going to be quite expensive...

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview]

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
What bullshit. He's just trying to make sure people actually buy the X1 S instead of waiting a year to pick up the Scorpio instead. The performance of the Scorpio is not going to actually provide a native 4K framebuffer at any kind of performance, and him telling people to buy a 4K TV so that they can experience 1080p upscaled to 4K like it's some kind of game changer is total spin. Everyone, if you have a 1080p TV and a regular X1, the Scorpio should actually show you a native 1080p image instead of one upscaled from 720p or 900p. Maybe if you love movies the Scorpio will be a great way to watch 4K blu-rays on a 4K TV, but in that case you already have that kind of TV and a good Blu-Ray player.

Edit: There's a new slim console coming out but don't buy that because a better console is coming in 2017, but don't buy that unless you buy an expensive TV that we aren't selling, we swear. Did they develop a crippling allergy to money?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
This sounds an awful lot like it's still going to be limited to 30FPS, even at 1080p.

The only difference being that it can run at 4K resolution, with the same graphical settings as the Xbox One.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
It'd be incredibly disappointing if they don't offer the option for higher framerates @ 1080.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Or, since most of the announced Xbox games are coming to Windows 10 anyway, I'll just stick with my PC.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Scorpio is going to be qite expensive...
OT: yeahsure, whatever MS. I'll believe a 4K console that plays faster than a slide show when I see it.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
This can only end badly. I don't know if they've released any price points for these things, but even $600+ cards have a hard time handling 4k by itself. Forget 30fps, unless it's a $500 upgrade (assuming this upgrade involves fully replacing the video card, unsure of how else to do it), you'll struggle to get even that.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
hentropy said:
This can only end badly. I don't know if they've released any price points for these things, but even $600+ cards have a hard time handling 4k by itself. Forget 30fps, unless it's a $500 upgrade (assuming this upgrade involves fully replacing the video card, unsure of how else to do it), you'll struggle to get even that.
I predict at least $800 for project scorpio

List

Sep 29, 2013
so what I'm reading between the lines here is the performance upgrade is just to be used for resolution and not frame rate? that's kind of a weird decision to make... (Re)Designing a whole new console, just for uping the resolution to 4k is just...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My guess is this thing will pair with a VR device MS is working on but has not yet revealed - which would actually benifit from a high screen resolution.

No one is buying 4k TV's, it seems absurd to put all your eggs in one basket on top of a single horse in this race before it's really even begun.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
List said:
so what I'm reading between the lines here is the performance upgrade is just to be used for resolution and not frame rate? that's kind of a weird decision to make... (Re)Designing a whole new console, just for uping the resolution to 4k is just...
He actually talked a little bit about this in his interview with eurogamer. Eurogamer was concerned that say, in a multiplayer game if someone has scorpio and can get 60 FPS, he has an advantage over the guy with the regular XB1 on 30 FPS. Spencer basically said that it wouldn't be a problem, and suggested that the framerates would stay the same between different versions.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Oooooor do yourself a favor and just buy a PC. Powerful PC gaming is even cheaper than ever with the new Nvidia and AMD cards.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Microsoft did their best to convince people not to buy an Xbox One right now.

Why buy an Xbox One S when you can get scorpio next year?
But more importantly, why buy scorpio next year when you can just buy a PC and have 4k gaming now? They made sure to mention that every single exclusive they have that even looks mildly interesting will be coming to Xbox One and Windows 10.

There is pretty much no reason at all to own or buy an Xbox One right now. I am most likely going to sell mine off and never look back. None of the 360 games I own ever came to backwards compatibility anyway.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
He actually talked a little bit about this in his interview with eurogamer. Eurogamer was concerned that say, in a multiplayer game if someone has scorpio and can get 60 FPS, he has an advantage over the guy with the regular XB1 on 30 FPS. Spencer basically said that it wouldn't be a problem, and suggested that the framerates would stay the same between different versions.
thats just devs continuing to be stupid and locking the framerate. There is no way Scorpio wont benefit 1080p if it can do 4k unless the 4k is actually just an upscale, which would be the biggest scam microsoft ran so far.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Is this really as they wanted it to come across? Like, those guys that were calling everyone too stupid to understand why always online is a good thing and saying that we should just get 360s if we want to keep sucking their cock otherwise. This sounds a bit like them.

You're not going to benefit from the Scorpio, so just purchase our "New Xbone+" instead? Kinda makes me just wanna not buy an Xbone at all, actually.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
The only reason I'm going to be getting a 4K TV ant time withing the next 10+ years is because someone else bought it for me. So unless Phil or someone else at Microsoft feels like buying me some big, fancy TV I'm just going to continue ignoring their attempts at getting me to buy their latest shiny thing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, someone said that Sony was all hush-hush and not saying much at E3 and...I gotta wonder. Are they just letting Microsoft eat their own foot again? Is this a repeat of Sony getting the goods for just not being stupid?

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
I really can't figure out Microsoft's strategy at the moment. Weren't they saying a few months ago (when the first whisperings of Playstation Neo were beginning to surface) that they weren't interested in a XBox 1.5? Now they're all about the Scorpio, which will be nice and expensive to put it outside of most people's budgets, except they're warning you not to buy it if you don't have a 4K TV and instead to get a smaller version of the underpowered box that's already out. And then they say that anything that's worth playing is coming to PC anyway.

How does any of this make business sense?

Edit:

FalloutJack said:
So, someone said that Sony was all hush-hush and not saying much at E3 and...I gotta wonder. Are they just letting Microsoft eat their own foot again? Is this a repeat of Sony getting the goods for just not being stupid?
From my perspective, Sony did exactly the right thing; they focused on games. Their conference was reveal after reveal after reveal, they had a number of exclusives, some big names, they got me excited to play these games. More than Microsoft did, which was remind me that their launch hardware was weaksauce, and encourage me not to bother getting an XBox One ever because I have a PC.