Don't Expect Friendly Dragons in Skyrim, Says Bethesda

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Vrach said:
Alexnader said:
I am disappointed by this.

Skyrim Dev - "Dragon's fire is like their language, shouts are words you've learned blah blah blah" (Paraphrasing).

Now lets slaughter these majestic beasts!
Well they're not exactly stopping by for tea and biscuits, it's the return of the freaking "World Eater". If that doesn't tell you enough about what his intentions are (and by proxy, his flight), I don't know what would. Perhaps a couple of loading screens following your attempts at hugging one? :p

There'll be a few non-hostile dragons you're gonna be able to interact with rather than punch an axe through, but I understand them totally that they don't want to make the game's goal to be "make dragons and humans get along". It would kinda suck arse to get to the end of the main quest, only to turn all the dragons friendly and kill so much of the joy of the game.
Well, I'll be happy with non-hostile dragons.

Mugen Weston

Jan 4, 2011
Good!

Because I HATE dragons as species ever since I started playing Dark Souls, and the more opportunity i have to kill several of the fire breathing dicks, the better

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
silversnake4133 said:
So how's that lawsuit working for ya Bethesda? I've heard that it's not fairing too well on your end. Also why are dragons always painted as evil things that need to be destroyed by large muscle-bound dudes in fur and loin clothes waving massive swords around? This is probably one of the reasons why I'm hoping "Dragon's Dogma" turns out to be really good because you have a choice to actually cooperate with dragons instead of just always being sent to kill them. (Or so I've heard).
I think it's less about dragons being "evil" so much as dragons being "giant flying pissed-off firebreathing lizards that want to barbecue all the stupid hairless apes for smelling wrong."

I am certain there is a word for that whole description in dragon-speak. It's probably synonymous with "Tuesday."

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Logan Westbrook said:
"This is not How to Train Your Dragon, " he said. "This is how to kill a whole bunch of very mean things that have come to kill and hurt people ...
This sounds to me like pete still hasn't learned how to make a complicated story. I compare the proceedings in fallout 3 and new vegas and there was a world of difference in the intricacy and freedom of the world that had been crafted, when it came to tailoring the game to suit the experience you wanted. Hines seems to only know how to make these good vs evil, black and white cartoon mash-ups. Yeah you can play as a bastard, for no real reason, but you still smash the predefined bad guys in the end. The dragons have become the super mutants of fallout 3 and the Daedra of oblivion. They are just here to hurt people, for no other reason than to give you something to bang your weapons against.

I'm not saying it's not alright to offer that experience to people who want it. It's just a tragically missed opportunity in my, personal opinion and it seems strange for an RPG, a genre defined by the story telling game, to be so behind the times. Bethesda crafts worlds. But this generation they have always fallen short of making them believable.

Xpheyel

Sep 10, 2007
Now all I can think of are premises for police shows where one of them is a dragon.

Hardboiled Detective Sergeant MacDhovakiin is paired with a rookie cop dragon, will this unlikely duo be able to overcome their differences and stop shipments of enchanted weapons into Skyrim? Find out, in The Elder Scrolls: Scales of Justice.

In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two equally important groups. The police, who investigate crimes, and the dragons who consume the offenders. These are their stories.

LAW &
SMOLDER

wfpdk

May 8, 2008
you know, articles like this aren't making the wait any easier, escapist.
I can't wait to to see how that Radiant Story system thing work out in practice, because it sounds sweet in theory.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
not to say I'm not already pissed at them for the whole scroll thing

but they areperptuating the dragons are always evil thing!?
it makes me want to punch something!
seriously why are like all interesting dragons evil why is it if i want a game with a dragon protagonist I eather have to play spyro games or super shitty games that are nearly unplayable

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Damn, kinda wanted a dragon sidekick. Guess I'll figure something else out. :'( Getting it on Xbox so no mods for me.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Bethesda: Friendly dragons will not be in Skyrim.

Modders: Friendly dragons are now in Skyrim... Well after we add nudity.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I'm from the Dungeons and Dragons school of Dragonology, so the seeming lack of at least intelligently passive dragons disappoints me. I dislike it when dragons are demoted to being mere beasts.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Good.

I don't want the danger of dragons to be so trivialized. Eventually, your character should be able to effectively wipe the floor with them, but making them your mounts or pets would ruin the image of merciless killing machine that makes them so cool.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Why does taming them mean them being nice? You do know humans have about 300 years of Not very Nice servitude behind them right? So why not do the same to a dragon. A dragon is arguably more intelligent then a human, even in TES lore, so to me it would seem that they are sentient beings who can be bent to your will. Not mindless berserkers on a rampage.

What if I slice a dragon half to death then give it a choice, serve me or die! I'd rather ride it into battle than be ground bound because I killed every single one of them when I face the big boss dragon. I doubt it'd be all that happy about that deal but at least it'd be tamed. Maybe cast some powerful magic on it that prevents it from killing me or else it dies. Link it's soul to yours or some other ancient dragon magic.

Not to mention that you are Dragonborn, doesn't that sort of imply a link to the dragons. If not genetically at least mentally seeing as you can read and speak the language none other can. It's a missed opportunity in my eyes, it wouldn't diminish the treat of dragons seeing as a dragon would have to be literally on the verge of death and would require ancient powerful magic to keep it from killing you.

It's less riding a mount than it is riding an armed rocket.

Just say what you really want to say Bethesda:

"We didn't have time to add it but might in some DLC we will price at 10$. That's why we inconvenience modders this much."

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Ghengis John said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"This is not How to Train Your Dragon, " he said. "This is how to kill a whole bunch of very mean things that have come to kill and hurt people ...
This sounds to me like pete still hasn't learned how to make a complicated story. I compare the proceedings in fallout 3 and new vegas and there was a world of difference in the intricacy and freedom of the world that had been crafted, when it came to tailoring the game to suit the experience you wanted. Hines seems to only know how to make these good vs evil, black and white cartoon mash-ups. Yeah you can play as a bastard, for no real reason, but you still smash the predefined bad guys in the end. The dragons have become the super mutants of fallout 3 and the Daedra of oblivion. They are just here to hurt people, for no other reason than to give you something to bang your weapons against.

I'm not saying it's not alright to offer that experience to people who want it. It's just a tragically missed opportunity in my, personal opinion and it seems strange for an RPG, a genre defined by the story telling game, to be so behind the times. Bethesda crafts worlds. But this generation they have always fallen short of making them believable.
Don't forget the NECROMANCERS for Oblivion!

Also a purely evil faction with not a single redeemable character in it. You would think that the power to raise an army of the death would be incredibly controlled and regulated for when it's needed in times of war.

But nope! Let's exile them and let them run rampant in the many tombs, caves, elven ruins and fortresses that dot the land scape. It's not like they would be ridiculously helpful when you are in essence fighting demons from another world and having a necromancer behind the lines resurrecting the fallen could supply you with an endless horde of dread knights.

No they are clearly evil because they use dead people for their practices (and some live ones to, but that's why I say regulation is in order).

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
I am heartbroken :'(

Still, just like in many human relationships, brutally killing something and wearing their skin for armour will have to suffice.....

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Deshin said:
He also talked about Skyrim's Radiant Story system, which adds random encounters to the world. He described a scenario where the player is attacked and killed by bandits on the way to a dungeon. The next time the player walked that road, it might not be bandits; instead, it might be a wizard or a hunter. He said that Radiant Story would allow people to have a unique experience with the game, without it every being obvious what was scripted and what wasn't.

"It's subtle, we don't ever want you to know or notice when you're experiencing something that's got Radiant Story," he explained. "But when you're around the watercooler the next day and everybody's talking about what they did, even if you did the same quest you'll be like 'hey wait a minute, I went to a different dungeon, which one did you go to? Mine had waterfalls.'"
I love how they're talking about a random number generator like it's a revolutionary new feature that'll change video games forever. I still plan on picking up Skyrim, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, but I'm really starting to get sick of all this industry bull they keep spoonfeeding us as if we're a bunch of retarded chimps.
I think its a pretty awesome idea, and I think it is really new. I'll still be excited for this feature unless you can show me a single other good game that does the same thing.

May 28, 2009
Wuggy said:
Wait, so was someone expecting friendly dragons? I mean, I haven't seen anything even remotely hinting of that.
I think the confusion came from when a dev said that you could summon a dragon using one of the shouts.

But yeah I think everyone know you would be fighting dragon

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
While I'm not surprised that I can't befriend dragons, I am a little dissapointed that this probably means I can't dominate them either.

Inosaku

May 14, 2010
The only people that wanted friendly dragons were the people that wanted to fuck them.

Fact.