Don't go to college (if you're in college, drop out)

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
So because of your anecdote, that applies to all of existence?

Sorry buddy, statistically, people with degrees make more money. You're factually inaccurate.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
It's going to sound like gloating, but my degree actually has a government assured job straight of the gates, so I'm kind of happy with what I'm doing.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
zelda2fanboy said:
Don't care. I want my $11,000 back. I don't see why someone else should get scammed just because society says so.
I'm studying a Masters in Physics. I'll be in a similar amount of debt afterwards (although I don't pay for tuition fees, I have student loans for living expenses). However, I'd love to see you just get a job as Physicist without a degree. Just because you did a Mickey Mouse degree doesn't mean everyone else should give up their education.

Pro-tip, business degrees are usually a waste of time because you'll often find that success in business isn't down to knowledge, it's down to determination and personality. Therefore, you should have went and checked out your job prospects before you dove in and started your degree. It's nobody's fault but your own.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I'm in college for accounting myself. Honestly I'm terrified out of my fucking mind that I just wont get a job,but I don't know what else to do other than going around applying to fast food places making such a small wage that I have to live with my parents or with room mates for the rest of my life.

All I can really do is keep trying and hope for the best... I'm not really the quitting type.

On the bright side, my tuition is being paid in cash with my own money that I got from a settlement after a car accident; so I wont be leaving college with debt.

Kiriona

Apr 8, 2010
Have you thought about trying a JC instead of a full-scale college/university? Waaaaaay cheaper. There's also government financial aid. If your wages suck that much, why not apply for a grant?

geK0 said:
I'm in college for accounting myself. Honestly I'm terrified out of my fucking mind that I just wont get a job,but I don't know what else to do other than going around applying to fast food places making such a small wage that I have to live with my parents or with room mates for the rest of my life.

All I can really do is keep trying and hope for the best... I'm not really the quitting type.
Totally off topic but... dude, your avatar just scared the crap outta me. o_o;

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I was at Uni doing Chemistry, dropped out because I knew I'd either fail or just scrape by due to my intense laziness and terrible attendance. I don't have a job, and have no iea what to do with my life. At least Uni was something to fill the days (not that I'm bored with my life of pissing around).
Uni isn't for everyone, but to call it a "scam" is harsh and unfair.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Perhaps you should try a new profession, like cartoon super villain, you're cut out for it, instead of "My education failed me so no one should get an education!" you could be all "The world has failed me so no one gets the world! *Activates Doomsday Device*"

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
zelda2fanboy said:
I've never even gotten an interview. Even if I were "randomly tossing poorly-made resumes at random companies on Monster," wouldn't I have heard from somebody at some point? Unemployment statistics don't apply to people who have never held a job and they don't apply to people who are underemployed. Technically, I'm not included in that statistic at all.
First, I smell a troll.

OT: If you've never gotten an interview, odds are the resume is poorly done. Have you checked it for typos? Have you gotten someone else(a professional) to look over it? Have you taken/ did you take it to your career advice center at your university? Is your university a higher education establishment with a proven track record for your degree? Do you have good references? From previous employers/bosses? ALL of these things matter and that's all that came to me off the top of my head! Are you willing to move to different cities? What about different states? If not, you are severely limiting yourself and only you can take responsibility for that. Lastly, are you actively trying to find a job or are you looking for your "dream job"? If your answer is the second one, you are wrong. Times are hard, you might just have to suck it up and do something you don't want to do until the economy gets better.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
This just in, 'people' are not 'you'. Life is unfortunate, inconsistent and unfair, deal with it.

What has happened to you will not necessarily happen to others so what I am trying to convey just equates to a great big:

Shut up and don't tell others what to do based on your own experiences.

That is called a douchebag and any sympathy and careful words of support I would have given you for your plight is now overshadowed by that great big giant tantrum you're having.

Hate to tell you this also but I've been in a far worse plight than that. 11k? Son you are way not even close.

Edit: Oh THAT course, did no one TELL you that course is terrible? Really? You need to be extremely well connected to get anything out of that.

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
So yeah, don't bother going to school. Waste of your time and money. There's no defense of it.
Actually there is. Unlike America the rest of the western world has systems in place that mean that if you go to a University the Government will subsidise it. Therefore we don't get student loans.

Now yes in Australia I will have to pay it back. But no interest is charged and it only gets taken out in tax. So it takes a certain threshold before it starts to be removed.

So no. Not a waste of money. And yes there is a Defence for it.

Philip Collin

Sep 11, 2011
Id like to mention that with Computer Science in Southampton Uni theres a 85% employment rate straight out of university if you graduate with a 2:1 or higher... so yeh, loads of jobs for me :D

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Don't care. I want my $11,000 back. I don't see why someone else should get scammed just because society says so.
You keep mentioning $11000 like it's some extremely huge amount of money. It really isn't. I have paid almost $25000 towards my education, and switched majors twice. The plus side? Not a dime of debt because I saved my money before hand, paid as I went, worked my ass off over the summers, and had a full time job throughout the school year.

You want to make more money than minimum wage, apply to every place in your area that has employees, whether they're hiring or not. The only way to make sure that you'll be able to find a job is to apply to as many as possible, and then call them a week later to show that you're interested in a job. It will at least increase the likely hood of you getting an interview.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
So Im guna leave uni with £27.5k, or for you yanks $43449.43

This is not including loaned money from the family or overdrafts from banks.

If I could go back and not got to uni I wouldnt dream of it. The time Ive had in my four years here will be worth the price and since I didnt do one of the cookie cutter degrees my job prospects are very good.

Rule number one for picking a degree, if your one in 400 students and you picked this course out of 40 identical ones ran by other unis (colleges), your probably guna struggle with a job. Its a game of numbers. Money says students with particle physics degrees dont struggle to hard.

Jan 22, 2011
I didn't go either and guess what i am living off the government with ssdi and i worked for 5 years.. the rest it to personal but don't advise people to make the same mistake you and I made. It all comes down to matter choices that YOU decide to make and if you mess up, you will have to live with that, just be happy you even have job, car with some money in your pocket. I don't even have that luxury.

crazyarms33

Nov 24, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
Did you know that everything that benefits the rich is part of a single grand conspiracy as opposed to sometimes being happenstance? True story. Every time one party benefits more than another it is automatically a scam. Nothing stupid about that kind of logic, it goes right along with making a proper tinfoil hat.
Oh my goodness I laughed so hard at this. Well done.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
My advice? Move countries.

Get a job teaching English in Japan, Korea, or China.

You'll pay off your debt in no time, and you'll make a salary that shits all over that crap you're making now.

Seriously ... why stay in the country if it's fucking you?