Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

musim

New member
Nov 22, 2009
12
0
0
This is really an odd post. I always look to Extra Punctuation for something closer to what is actually Yahtzee's real opinions on things but this really just feels like a half baked thought. Granted coming up with multiple thought provoking paragraphs or shock-jock rants on the gaming world each week must be difficult after a time.

Honestly the very notion of trying to change someone else's definition of something is ludicrous to me. Especially on an industry that probably 1/8 of the world's population participates in. Kind of like how the words nerd and dork mean you must be smart or follow videogames and comics instead of loser and penis respectively.

And really getting gamers to stop using the work "gamer" to describe themselves is like trying to get black people to stop using the n-word. Society loves self flagellation and I really don't see that changing ever.

Identifying yourself as one thing never negates the possibility of other things. And really unless you're in the process of curing cancer I doubt identifying yourself as anything is worth bragging about. Personally I am a gamer, a musician, and an engineer minus the degree among many other things. And let me tell you, absolutely none of these things are beneficial to anyone and I really don't care. The term "gamer" is fine by me although if you're looking for bragging rights you'd better have something better than that.
 

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
3,716
0
0
"I am Gamer HEAR ME WHINE!" yeh need to get that on a T-Shirt XD

and WTF you mean there will be no ZP next week!!! D:<

Plus its always funny when you watch a stereotype at work.
 
Feb 13, 2008
19,430
0
0
blalien said:
Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.
This better be Gen Con US, because Gen Con UK doesn't have a third of people like that. In fact, I can only think of one or two.
 

pretentiousname01

New member
Sep 30, 2009
476
0
0
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Look if you it'll make you all happy, and make my life less full of insults, I'll give you my opinion.

I like Aerith because she's a the polar opposite of everyone else in that game. Altruistic because she wants to be, not for ulterior motives. A bright and bluntly honest person in a dingy world full of people who constantly blur the truth for their own selfish reasons. Whether to themselves or others. She's extremely central to the plot, even after the point where she's murdered. And she defies being classified into one of the three stereotypes of female gaming characters. A. Bad-ass action girl. (Lara Croft, Bayonetta, Rubi) B. Damsel in Distress (Peach, Yorda, Rosa) or C. Nerdy Sidekick. (Alyx Vance, Lucca, Roll Casket) I'm aware that she has a Peach moment, but it's done with good intention and she still shows strength during that moment and in the following portions of that act. And I just like her personality, she's a strong person without having to be needlessly macho. Which isn't something that makes sense a lot of the time with gaming females.

Satisfied?
fixed it for you. I'm fairly certain that there is a statute of limitations on spoilers.

In fact, I may also claim that your use of spoiler tags as a fanboyism.

We all know fanboyism invalidates arguments.
 

blalien

New member
Jul 3, 2009
441
0
0
The_root_of_all_evil said:
blalien said:
Have you ever been to Gen Con? About two-thirds of the people there are perfectly normal, likable people who happen to play games. And the other third are morbidly obese, with poor hygiene, stained T-shirts, and no social skills. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. About a third.
This better be Gen Con US, because Gen Con UK doesn't have a third of people like that. In fact, I can only think of one or two.
Yes, this would Gen Con Indy. The US has a massive (hurr hurr) obesity problem and the Midwest is especially bad.
 

tehroc

New member
Jul 6, 2009
1,293
0
0
Sir John the Net Knight said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Wow you seem to be rather attached to a fictional support character, you act is if he insulted your mother or wife. Maybe you should take a step back and realize she is not a real person.
 

xDarc

New member
Feb 19, 2009
1,333
0
0
If I would have posted that bit about girl gamers, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten myself banned. It's ok though- because this is an article... much like that PC gaming "hit piece" that floated up, like a turd over staying it's welcome, about a week or two ago.
 

xDarc

New member
Feb 19, 2009
1,333
0
0
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Don't really understand why that warranted such a hateful response, but that's the current problem with The Escpaist. It's been poisoned with kind of gaming trash that never used to venture out of sites like GameFAQs or 4chan.
You're not alone; I'm noticing it too.
 

DarkRyter

New member
Dec 15, 2008
3,078
0
0
Sir John the Net Knight said:
You know, I've put up with the self-important, narcissistic bullshit of a one Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for quite some time now. And though that is hardly a stretch for me, as I have been absorbing the anger and prejudice of the world's asshole population for a good three decades, I can no longer stand to have Yahtzee's own brand of verbal diarrhea being funneled into my ear canal any longer.

I put up with a lot of shit from people like Yahtzee over the years. But when you call Aerith Gainsborough a "flaky bint", you have stepped over the proverbial line. I have no more patience for you, Croshaw. Take your crybaby rants that you poorly disguise as legitimate reviews and stick them up your pasty, white tuchus. You really wanna know what the definition of the stereotypical asshole gamer that gives us all a bad name? Every morning you look at one in the mirror when you wake up. It's people like you that ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

And before you accuse me of the following. No, I do not own a body pillow or any other perverted anime crap. Though I'm sure you'll claim otherwise in next week's article.
Chill dude, he's just a video game comedian with an opinion. They tend to exist.

And I do own a body pillow. It's really comfortable. Like, really.
 

pretentiousname01

New member
Sep 30, 2009
476
0
0
Sir John the Net Knight said:
pretentiousname01 said:
fixed it for you. I'm fairly certain that there is a statute of limitations on spoilers.

In fact, I may also claim that your use of spoiler tags as a fanboyism.

We all know fanboyism invalidates arguments.
That is quite literally the WORST rebuttal to a well thought out argument that I have ever heard in my entire life.
Goodie, its my turn.

Seeing how you did nothing but come down on "Yahtzee fanboys". I fail to see how its a bad rebuttal. For no other reason than agreeing with his statement that labels are bad.

Your a pot, or a kettle, I don't really care which but you are one of them.