Don't Want Windows 10? You Probably Downloaded It Anyway

jamail77

May 21, 2011
RandV80 said:
I'd like to point out that this has always been Microsoft.
Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I didn't mean that in a time tense in reference to a noun; I meant that strictly in a general noun sense.

RandV80 said:
I get the impression that there's a generation of gamers that grew up with the original Xbox as the primary association with the Microsoft brand and were left with a positive view of them up until that big infamous Xbox One announcement. But they've been doing this sort of shit for over two decades now. Maybe in different environments but same sort of crumminess.
I will admit there was a brief period of time when I had a positive view of Microsoft in a certain aspect of its business, but for the most part from childhood to now I've never really liked them for exactly how you say they act. I can't respect a business like that, but it's not enough to make me switch to a different OS or not buy a small niche of products from them though I do it somewhat begrudgingly regardless.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Plus they changed some of the most basic key commands, for what reason? People were fine using ctrl alt del to bring up task manager. Microsoft trying to fix what isn't broken as usual.
Erm, nope. works fine for me. I'm using the pro edition if that makes any difference.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
To all the people griping about not being able to access the task manager through ctrl-alt-del (Especially since the release of Windows Vista, that command didn't instantly bring up the task manager anyways, it brought up a menu that had the TM on it), here's some useful tips that have mostly been around since at least win2000

CTRL+Shift+Esc - That brings up the Task Manager.

Also, right click on the start button, you'll see a whole host of commands, including the task manager

And if you right click on the task bar... *gasp* the menu that pops up has the task manager listed too!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Microsoft spends years telling us that automatic updates are vital to keeping our systems secure... and then they use it to try to foist a new OS on us even if we say we don't want it. Now we've got people outright shutting down updates because they don't want their usage caps burned out and their hard drives crowded with data they don't want.

Microsoft, what are you doing. Microsoft, stahp.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
So, if Facebook sells everyone's private information to corporations, and Google tracks pretty much every single thing you search, and forces Content ID tracking down everyone's throats, and when Smartphones are so crazily vulnerable to being tracked and are tracked, and even listening in on your conversations, well that's OK, isn't it.

But when Microsoft gathers data about you for their products and services they offer, which you can opt out of 95% of it...

C_sector

Jan 7, 2010
Guys, seriouslly.. this isn't 'quantum mechanics' or 'rocket science'...... show hidden files and folders in your C drive. Delete the '$Windows.~BT' folder if u have it... Then, remove windows 10 from your automatic updates list by seelcting it and cliking on hide.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Microsoft stopped caring about their consumers ages ago. It was only with Windows 10 that they made it blatantly obvious. I'm sticking to Windows 8.1 in the meantime so I can continue to play games. Once Windows 8.1 fails I'll be switching over to a Linux distribution.

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
C_sector said:
Guys, seriouslly.. this isn't 'quantum mechanics' or 'rocket science'...... show hidden files and folders in your C drive. Delete the '$Windows.~BT' folder if u have it... Then, remove windows 10 from your automatic updates list by seelcting it and cliking on hide.
And how do we delete those files? It's not letting me delete them.

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
I'm liking Windows 10 so far. I grabbed Start10 from StarDock, not because I particularly dislike the default start menu, I just think Start10 is a really good product. Fiddled a bit with the appearance to get a rather sweet looking desktop and start menu. So far all seems to be working quite well. Only thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is the updates. I normally always use the "Let me know when new upates are available" setting, but I'm not entirely sure how that works now. Other than that, all games I currently play seems to be running really well (The Golf Club, The Witcher 3, Football manager 2015 etc). Looks like a winner so far.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
C_sector said:
To be fair, a good 15% of what you learn in IT is how to convince people that you aren't a Witch Doctor, and they still assume you're automatically the smartest person in the world for knowing it (or, in most cases, being able to look it up). Heck, what you just said isn't exactly layman's terms.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
C_sector said:
Guys, seriously.. this isn't 'quantum mechanics' or 'rocket science'...... show hidden files and folders in your C drive. Delete the '$Windows.~BT' folder if u have it... Then, remove windows 10 from your automatic updates list by selecting it and clicking on hide.
Sadly this statement is already too complicated for those that are mad about this, heck turning off Auto-update is even simpler, and I can see from many comments about this article, that many don't seem to be even aware of this feature, instead choosing to jump on the Microsoft hate wagon, surprised so many people haven't switched to another OS if they hate Micro$oft so much.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Devin Barker said:
Lots of users at my company want to upgrade but we have to keep turning them away (im in IT) our AV does not work with 10 most of our peripherals dont work with 10. its not a bad operating system, its just gonna need some time to catch up and get everything working. As a former Mac fan (I loathe everything Mavericks + ) and avid gamer I am kind of a man without a country if I want to buy a new device... rough times
I share this sentiment. My office, which is usually slow to upgrade, hasn't even begun to work any of this in. And as a former Mac fan as well I definitely feel like there is really nothing grabbing my attention as far as upgrades go. My current computer is running Mac OS, but I've definitely fell out of love with this OS at this point, and if I ever wanted a new system, I have plenty of gripes with both, enough so to the point where I'm not really excited about any of them.

I feel like the trend has been with both Microsoft and Apple, to tighten their grip on everything in order to really drive home this idea that you are really just renting your machine, and they providing you a service to which you subscribe. There is this distinct feeling that they just want control, and that they insist that you use their systems the way they want you to use them, and deviation will be slowly faded out.

Anyway as far as this is concerned I'm glad I don't have Windows at home, but I know people who use software professionally and don't want to upgrade because of compatibility issues keep finding it harder and harder to find a way to make things work, and I feel like the market is begging for an alternative that doesn't require a computer science degree.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
EffectiveKill said:
surprised so many people haven't switched to another OS if they hate Micro$oft so much.
2015 will be the year of the Pengiun!!! All it took was Windows 10, now everybody will switch to Gentoo Linux! Cause everybody hates Ubuntu,...

Damian Porter

Aug 11, 2015
EffectiveKill said:
C_sector said:
Guys, seriously.. this isn't 'quantum mechanics' or 'rocket science'...... show hidden files and folders in your C drive. Delete the '$Windows.~BT' folder if u have it... Then, remove windows 10 from your automatic updates list by selecting it and clicking on hide.
Sadly this statement is already too complicated for those that are mad about this, heck turning off Auto-update is even simpler, and I can see from many comments about this article, that many don't seem to be even aware of this feature, instead choosing to jump on the Microsoft hate wagon, surprised so many people haven't switched to another OS if they hate Micro$oft so much.
God forbid not everyone is an expert on this stuff. And his advice isn't as simple as you think. A lot of people will try deleting the folder and find that they can't. Not to mention they will need to uninstall certain updates. Updates that don't actually explain what they really are. Also, not everyone even thinks about turning off automatic updates. Just because you do doesn't mean everyone will.

Amazing how you elitist have such a fucking hard time comprehending this little fact. You seem too busy insulting others than actually trying to help.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
stormtrooper9091 said:
sorry, this is total bullshit, take your clickbait crap to a tabloid website and don't waste our time. There's literally nothing of the sort in any of our company's computers
If they're company computers, I assume they're using Windows "Professional" edition? If so, you wouldn't see it. The free download is only for "Home" users. That's who this affects.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fanghawk said:
stormtrooper9091 said:
sorry, this is total bullshit, take your clickbait crap to a tabloid website and don't waste our time. There's literally nothing of the sort in any of our company's computers
If they're company computers, I assume they're using Windows "Professional" edition? If so, you wouldn't see it. The free download is only for "Home" users. That's who this affects.
I'm not justifying the response you got, but perhaps the article could reflect this information?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FillerDmon said:
(or, in most cases, being able to look it up).
This is the part that still kills me. The people who are amazed that I can look something up. Often times on my phone. Using their WiFi.

...I have nothing against them, mind. Just often astonished.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Damian Porter said:
EffectiveKill said:
C_sector said:
God forbid not everyone is an expert on this stuff. And his advice isn't as simple as you think. A lot of people will try deleting the folder and find that they can't. Not to mention they will need to uninstall certain updates. Updates that don't actually explain what they really are. Also, not everyone even thinks about turning off automatic updates. Just because you do doesn't mean everyone will.

Amazing how you elitist have such a fucking hard time comprehending this little fact. You seem too busy insulting others than actually trying to help.
Yeah this kind of ambiguous tech advice is a pet peeve of mine. I'm an IT guy now, but I didn't really get started until I was out of high school so I kind of know what it's like being on the other side of the fence. Not to pick on this one guy, but you see this sort of thing all the time in tech advice.

Example: "show hidden files and folders on your C drive". If they haven't done this already they probably don't know how to do it. Maybe they've seen the option before if they've ever right clicked on a folder and clicked properties to check the size, that there's a check box for "Hidden"... but if you right click on the C drive as instructed here you have a different set of properties which doesn't include "Hidden", so what do you do for a hidden folder on the root directory? The correct answer is much less obvious for an average user: you go to the start menu, control panel, and click the Folder Options. Click on the View tab, and under Advanced Settings find the option for "Show hidden files, folders, and drives".

Now in this case this is a very common task and a google search will quickly show you what you need without a fuss. But often this is the general attitude or level of advice you get from people online, and sometimes you can't just 'google it' for an answer. Hence my pet peeve when I see it, even if it's something I know or it isn't for me.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Oh my god that was terrible, i downloaded W10 "just in case" which of course, wasted about half a day of my time trying to get rid of it
No, you can not take ownership of the files and delete the update before installing it, spyware behavior
Now after installing and uninstalling i can finally delete the folder

Not even the picture viewer worked.