Don't Watch The New STALKER Trailer With the Lights Off

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Despite how much I love S.T.A.L.K.E.R, I have to admit that this was a crummy trailer.

I mean, it was fine right up until the monster attacked. The music killed the atmosphere and the monster being incredibly weak destroyed any horror this trailer could have created.

That being said, this game will probably still be scary. The thing about S.T.A.L.K.E.R is that the game feels far better when you're actually playing it, and it's way more scary.

I just hope they ditch that dumb music they played every time you fought other Stalkers in Clear Sky. That was also killed the atmosphere.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I would've been a lot more impressed if the Burer wasn't featured in damn near every Shadow of Chernobyl Mod worth its salt. (Although the telekinesis was a nice touch.)

Also, the creature at the end? A Snork [http://www.hamst3r.com/images/7.jpg].

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
A few people have already pointed this out, but I'll say it anyways. It was originally called 'Dwarf' in STALKER Oblivion Lost mod, and in Lab X18 instead of fighting a poltergeist you fight a stronger, bigger version of a 'Dwarf' called 'The Burer' and he had a white cloak instead of a black one... So this thing isn't new.. It just means they actually got it past ERSB for not being 'insulting' to midgets in real life..

EDIT: I want to say "to call this 'new' is a very EA Sports thing to do" (meaning: removing a feature for a set period of time and bringing it back with a different name and then say its "NEW") But considering those that didn't have Oblivion Lost mod on Shadow of Chernoybl never saw/heard of these things, so its gets a pass.

Hashcurt

Aug 22, 2009
Nowhere near as freaky as the snorks and even the phased creatures attacking you in Shadow of Chernobyl when you were at the brain scorcher or the yellowation of the screen. Now, that's still one of the freakiest things i've ever seen in a game

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Okay. Have you guys ever seen Mullholland Drive? There's that creepy bum who shows up in those surreal diner scenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pdd9VBSoag]. That thing has scared the hell out of me for years, and the Burer looks exactly like that thing. Maybe that's why this creeps me out so much.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The first thing I did when I read the title was turn all the lights off and turn up the volume. The only thing that scared me was the monster jumping out at the end.

The game looks good though. Too bad I don't have a gaming pc. :[

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Just the aesthetics of games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. tend to scare me off. No horror for me.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:
Sure, it's an okay trailer, but Call of Pripyat?

PRIPYAT?!

Really? What the hell were they thinking?
What have you got against Pripyat?
It reminds me of a certain short methane breathing species of cannon-fodder.
I don't see how it reminds you of grunts.
Most grunt names sound very similar to Pripyat.

Internet Kraken said:
MasterSqueak said:
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:

PRIPYAT?!

Well what the hell were the supposed to call it? The game takes place in Pripyat.
Still, it's hard for me to be scared by a game that makes me want to laugh whenever I hear its title.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
MasterSqueak said:
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:

PRIPYAT?!

I don't see how it reminds you of grunts.
Most grunt names sound very similar to Pripyat.

Internet Kraken said:
MasterSqueak said:
Zombie Badger said:
MasterSqueak said:

PRIPYAT?!

Well what the hell were the supposed to call it? The game takes place in Pripyat.
Still, it's hard for me to be scared by a game that makes me want to laugh whenever I hear its title.
Well it's not like they can change the name of the town the game takes place in.

Besides, how can you care that much about the games title? It's not that funny. In fact, it's not funny at all because Pripyat is a real place.

optimus28

Dec 28, 2008
I played STALKER for about 2 weeks and did not enjoy it at all. nice graphics but it was boring.
Started playing Fallout 3 now there's a game that is very addictive.

Hedberger

Mar 19, 2008
The problem here is that the trailer was too short. You have to play the game to get a proper build-up. The first "dungeon" in SoC is an excellent example of how to do horror. Look it up on Youtube.

This monster has been featured in some mods for SoC and Clear Sky and they never drop that shield. It forces you to run to get a different angle or use a precious grenade. Something the past games have been very good at is keeping you uncertain because it's dynamic and random. When you are actually walking through that house you never know what you are going to get and you never know how prepared you are. You never get any cue that something is going to happen.

There's no battle-music and you won't notice any build-up because there is always a build-up. The unnerving music and constant uncertainty usually does the trick, especially at night when you are skulking through a rundown building and hearing mutants howling outside. Knowing that you don't have the ammo to fight them because you've just been in a rough fight. It's never fair or unfair, just random.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Simalacrum said:
...that was meant to be scary? really? no offence Keane, but that really wasn't scary at all.. sorry :p Still, nice trailer, at least it tried ^^
yeah, but then again its more of a technology trailer than a gameplay one. but that being said, most of the newer trailers for shadow of chernobyl were like that, but that is one of the scariest, most atmospheric games ive ever played, and if gsc makes this at least as good as the original stalker then its gonna be one scary ass game.