Don't wear the American Flag on your shirt in California schools, you might offend the Mexicans.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
no official census but they aren't really hard to spot, picking out people up here is like hiding a white guy in a crowd of black people :/ sad as it is, we could more color up here, i shouldn't be surprised to see a black person walking down the street -.-
Do tell how they're easy to spot.
-.-

you know, I'd normal give some one quoting me a straight answer, but i've seen you around enough to know, its not worth the head ache with you

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
no official census but they aren't really hard to spot, picking out people up here is like hiding a white guy in a crowd of black people :/ sad as it is, we could more color up here, i shouldn't be surprised to see a black person walking down the street -.-
Do tell how they're easy to spot.
-.-

you know, I'd normal give some one quoting me a straight answer, but i've seen you around enough to know, its not worth the head ache with you
In other words you were probably going to go by racial profiling or some kind of racist criteria and don't want to be criticized. It's pretty clear cut question if you have nothing to hide.
no ... more to do with your post history, you have this holier-then-thou vibe, i didn't get paid enough to put up with it at work, so I'm not gonna put up with it here.

but fine -.-

where i live its 99% all white people, hence the 'surprised to see black people' comment, there's no racial profiling, they just stick out up here.

also, next time you wanna try that 'I'm not responding cause i don't wanna be judged' crap, try looking at the rest of my comment on just THIS thread then ask how much of a shit i REALLY give of what you think of me. i will be honest first, always, regardless of how your going to take it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
where i live its 99% all white people, hence the 'surprised to see black people' comment, there's no racial profiling, they just stick out up here.
The other poster asked how you knew your area was full of illegals and you replied they aren't hard to spot. I was asking about that, not black people.
are you for real ... -.- THEY STICK OUT, thus are EASY TO SPOT, its not hard to pick another race out of a crowd up here. ethnically deserve its not

NIHILHATE

Aug 21, 2009
Divide and conquer tactics. It's the same with Muslims in England, they don't have any problems with the flag, but "the man" wants us to think they do so we'll hate them. I'm sad to say it generally works... What a fucked up world we live in...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
The other poster asked how you knew your area was full of illegals and you replied they aren't hard to spot. I was asking about that, not black people.
are you for real ... -.- THEY STICK OUT, thus are EASY TO SPOT, its not hard to pick another race out of a crowd up here. ethnically deserve its not
So you're seriously making the argument that if they're another race they're illegals? I just asked how you spot illegals. And then you say it's easy to spot another race. Woooooow. That's exactly racial profiling.
interesting .... you only now mention illegals .... way to twist things :D good job :D

and you wonder why i want nothing to do with you.

but since i'm replying, again, against my better judgement, (and out of boredom) other races catch my attention yes, since we are pretty much all white up here, no, i don't INSTANTLY think there all illegal, they usually need to open their mouth for that.
*waits for the reply that twists things more*

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
Fagotto said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
So you're seriously making the argument that if they're another race they're illegals? I just asked how you spot illegals. And then you say it's easy to spot another race. Woooooow. That's exactly racial profiling.
interesting .... you only now mention illegals .... way to twist things :D good job :D

and you wonder why i want nothing to do with you.

but since i'm replying, again, against my better judgement, (and out of boredom) other races catch my attention yes, since we are pretty much all white up here, no, i don't INSTANTLY think there all illegal, they usually need to open their mouth for that.
*waits for the reply that twists things more*
Did someone hit you on the head and give you amnesia between this post and me telling you: "The other poster asked how you knew your area was full of illegals and you replied they aren't hard to spot. I was asking about that, not black people."? Because that pretty explicitly mentions illegals. So your talk about me me 'only now' mentioning illegals is you outright lying or having a terrible bout of amnesia.

So do tell me, why exactly do you see fit to lie about me only now talking about illegals when I explicitly clarified that I was asking about illegals earlier? Do you really think you can get away with lying about it that quickly?

besides the fact that he's been offering good counter points the whole time and not personal attacks, thus making my dialog with him worth while.

i miss read things, or some times skip words while i read, weird quirk but it happens.
also as i already mentioned, i don't really like you, and i tend to pay less attention to people i don't like. so you have that working against you as well.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Dags90 said:
Well, I'm glad to have been proven right in my guess that this was legal when this story first cropped up.

School children don't have absolute free speech, if the school can prove that the shirts are disruptive (say, for inciting ethnic tensions), then they can be told not to wear them. I think it's silly to conflate what are clearly ethnic tensions with patriotism. They didn't wear American flags because they were proud of their country. They wore them to antagonize Mexican-American students who were celebrating something they didn't happen to be a part of. It's a terrible and offensive use of the flag.

I should also note, that it was once considered wildly inappropriate, and gauche to print an American flag decoration on any item of clothing. I still think of it as kind of tacky, it's a gross form of plastic patriotism.
This pretty much sums it up. They intentionally wore them on Cinco de Mayo, a Mexican holiday. That's not "America, fuck yeah!" that's "Fuck you, Mexicans!"

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Fagotto said:
That's a pretty pathetic excuse for missing the entire point of my post when I clarify what my question was =|

I mean really, that was the ENTIRE point of that post. Making it clear I wasn't asking about black people.
its hardly an 'excuse' its fact.

ether way, the similly or simally >.> or how ever its spelled, i used was clear enough, the bit about me being surprised to see black people was my own personal lament of the lack of diversity up here.
frankly i don't get why Mexicans even want to come this far north, that confuses me. its cold, rains like a cow pissing on a flat rock, snow >.> we don't get a lot of, but when we do its measured in feet not inches, and its windy as all hell.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Kitsuna10060 said:
And how is it that you spot them? Details, if you don't mind.

Kitsuna10060 said:
me seeing them as anything other then a massive thorn in this country's side,
Man, when I ask, "Why do you consider them a problem?" generally the answer should be something more specific than "Because I think that they are a problem."

Kitsuna10060 said:
or seeing them as anything other then a criminal, after all if they're willing to break one law, how many others could be deemed ignorable? (again it sounds worse then it is)
That's a slippery-slope argument. And besides, the entire goal of most illegal immigrants is to cross into the US and work legitimate jobs. Why would they leave Mexico of all places if they wanted to be criminals? Did they think that being a criminal there would be too easy?

Kitsuna10060 said:
on that your fighting 30 years of 'upbringing' and good luck with that. and before you go trying to pick that apart ... -.- again ...
Wait, what? Oh, hang on. You mean you're thirty and your ideas are pretty well cemented at this point? Meh, makes a fair degree of sense. But I generally hold that it's mannerisms that shouldn't be expected to abruptly change, not so much ideas like this. I don't get offended when my grandfather uses what we consider now to be racial slurs, simply because for the better part of his 90 years on this Earth, they weren't racial slurs, and he doesn't use them with any trace of malice for that very reason.

Kitsuna10060 said:
1) I'm not this racist asshole you might think, >.> mostly. reason my first post sounded like it is cause i find unacceptable our country's flag is 'offensive' to a group of people living WITH IN ITS BORDERS, my reply would have been simalarly abrasive regardless of the groups color, and I'd have still taken the cheap shot i did.
And that's a perfectly valid sentiment to have...if that was what was happening here. You twisted the actual situation into one that you could hate. That was my main issue.

Kitsuna10060 said:
(only minority i don't actually have a lot of love for isn't even mentioned in this thread, and i've got more valid reason for not liking them)
...oh, Christ. This is just another can of worms waiting to be opened, isn't it? Because I'll be frank: every racist has a "valid reason" for hating their minority of choice. In the same sense that most evil people don't consider themselves evil, most racists don't acknowledge that they hate an entire ethnicity based on nothing but their own bigotry.

Kitsuna10060 said:
2) i actually do get the 'why' of why they want to come over, Mexico is in a massive state of 'fucked' with no indication its going to get better short of carpet bombing and a liberal use of assassinations. so I'm not against the idea of some one form another country coming here to start over, it was fucking FOUNDED on the ideal, my problem is that they doing illegally, which again, applys to anybody of any color, not just Mexicans.
Clearly not. Otherwise, you wouldn't be insisting that everyone get in line and wait their turn.

Look, this is hard to understand for anyone in a country as stable as this, but in places like Mexico, the violence, drug wars, etc, aren't happening 'somewhere else.' People don't find out about it because they saw it in a newspaper, because if you need a newspaper to tell you that you're living in a warzone, you're not actually living in a warzone.

Don't you think all illegal immigrants would prefer to be legal? If coming into the country illegally has so many disadvantages, don't you think that there might be at least some reason why they choose to do it?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Char-Nobyl said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
And how is it that you spot them? Details, if you don't mind.
95% white up here. i am not joking when i say i am surprised to see a black or any other ethnic group up here, though for me to go 'eeyup, illegal' they pretty much have to start talking

Kitsuna10060 said:
me seeing them as anything other then a massive thorn in this country's side,
Man, when I ask, "Why do you consider them a problem?" generally the answer should be something more specific than "Because I think that they are a problem."
ah, sorry, given your prior argument of how cheap they work for, and how many legal citizens are out of work and losing every thing, that's the big one right now (even if the actually fualt for that situation isn't their fault, that the blame for that lies in DC and the corporate board room, but they aren't helping matters) which is sadly all i got :/

Kitsuna10060 said:
or seeing them as anything other then a criminal, after all if they're willing to break one law, how many others could be deemed ignorable? (again it sounds worse then it is)

That's a slippery-slope argument. And besides, the entire goal of most illegal immigrants is to cross into the US and work legitimate jobs. Why would they leave Mexico of all places if they wanted to be criminals? Did they think that being a criminal there would be too easy?
yeah >.> i know that's a slippery slope there, i was hesitant to put it in, but, I'd rather be honest then PC.

Kitsuna10060 said:
on that your fighting 30 years of 'upbringing' and good luck with that. and before you go trying to pick that apart ... -.- again ...

Wait, what? Oh, hang on. You mean you're thirty and your ideas are pretty well cemented at this point? Meh, makes a fair degree of sense. But I generally hold that it's mannerisms that shouldn't be expected to abruptly change, not so much ideas like this. I don't get offended when my grandfather uses what we consider now to be racial slurs, simply because for the better part of his 90 years on this Earth, they weren't racial slurs, and he doesn't use them with any trace of malice for that very reason.
what i meant was it'll take a lot to change my mind :p even cement is breakable with enough persistence. how old did you think i was :p

Kitsuna10060 said:
1) I'm not this racist asshole you might think, >.> mostly. reason my first post sounded like it is cause i find unacceptable our country's flag is 'offensive' to a group of people living WITH IN ITS BORDERS, my reply would have been simalarly abrasive regardless of the groups color, and I'd have still taken the cheap shot i did.

And that's a perfectly valid sentiment to have...if that was what was happening here. You twisted the actual situation into one that you could hate. That was my main issue.
fair enough.

Kitsuna10060 said:
(only minority i don't actually have a lot of love for isn't even mentioned in this thread, and i've got more valid reason for not liking them)

...oh, Christ. This is just another can of worms waiting to be opened, isn't it? Because I'll be frank: every racist has a "valid reason" for hating their minority of choice. In the same sense that most evil people don't consider themselves evil, most racists don't acknowledge that they hate an entire ethnicity based on nothing but their own bigotry.
sadly true but, i've never had any long last good interactions with this group, the friends i had turned on me, for no reason i can even now figure out, they whine about rights and heritage, then turn around on piss all over those same things, not to mention bad mouthing whites and demanding a hand out at the same time.

though I'm hoping in all honesty it just the ones up here that suck and not all of them.

Kitsuna10060 said:
2) i actually do get the 'why' of why they want to come over, Mexico is in a massive state of 'fucked' with no indication its going to get better short of carpet bombing and a liberal use of assassinations. so I'm not against the idea of some one form another country coming here to start over, it was fucking FOUNDED on the ideal, my problem is that they doing illegally, which again, applys to anybody of any color, not just Mexicans.
Clearly not. Otherwise, you wouldn't be insisting that everyone get in line and wait their turn.
gonna have to agree to disagree on that

Look, this is hard to understand for anyone in a country as stable as this, but in places like Mexico, the violence, drug wars, etc, aren't happening 'somewhere else.' People don't find out about it because they saw it in a newspaper, because if you need a newspaper to tell you that you're living in a warzone, you're not actually living in a warzone.

Don't you think all illegal immigrants would prefer to be legal? If coming into the country illegally has so many disadvantages, don't you think that there might be at least some reason why they choose to do it?
i should hope they want to be legal, and yes i do understand, if only a little how bad it is down there, it not the kinda thing we should be (but seem to be) turning a blind eye to. the laws are there for a reason, and as much as it sucks down there, it does not make it ok to break them.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
The context is what matters.

These kids all wore the shirts on one day, Cinco de Mayo, in a school with a large Mexican American population. Not on any other day.

Making an effort to wave your country's flag around when another American citizen is celebrating their people's history does actually make you a dick.

That said, the right to free speech should protect dicks, even in school. They should be allowed to wear the shirts if they want.