Doomed Madden NFL 11 Cover Star Chosen

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Doomed Madden NFL 11 Cover Star Chosen

EA has sent another football athlete to certain doom by placing him on the cover of Madden NFL 11

The Madden curse's target for 2010 has been chosen. This year, it'll irreparably harm Madden NFL 11 cover athlete Drew Brees, whom my people tell me is the quarterback (the man who yells hike and throws the ball) for the New Orleans Saints. They sound like a nice team of fellows, it's too bad their quarterback is likely to fall in a vat of molten lead sometime within the next few weeks. The Madden curse came about from a series of injuries and poor seasons that have affected Madden's cover athletes over the years.

Brees was chosen through an online XBLA development contests [http://www.doritoschangethegame.com/] in the past, truly desiring to become the controller staining snack of gamers everywhere.

Brees beat out Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen and Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, two other sports athlete men. The New Orleans Saints have apparently been to something called the "Super Bowl" recently where they defeated an opposing team and became the best in the entire universe at playing with a ball and wearing helmets.

According to EA, Madden NFL 11 will have a new play-calling system called "GameFlow" that can automate the experience if desired. This wouldn't be something I need as I always just choose goal line defenses and offenses, except when actually on the goal line. This strategy might not work out often, but when it does, it's very embarrassing for my opponent.

What I find quite interesting is how many supporters of Madden tend to care more about the cover athlete than the game's new features each year. What's the big deal about he who graces said cover? Is it all because of the Madden curse, or has Madden become today's Wheaties [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheaties] box?

Madden NFL 2011 [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76809] will be out in August, as it is every year.

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
oppp7 said:
What exactly is the Madden curse?
The player on the cover of Madden every single year follows it up with one of the worst years of his career.

EDIT: Or he gets injured.

Jun 6, 2009
oppp7 said:
Whoever is on the cover has their carrer go down the tubes for some reason. Has been happening for at least... 10 years?....

Anyhoo... NOOOOOOOO! I barely pay attention to the NFL, and this was one of the players I like!

Why Madden! Why!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Rand-m said:
oppp7 said:
The player on the cover of Madden every single year follows it up with one of the worst years of his career.

BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
oppp7 said:
Whoever is on the cover has their carrer go down the tubes for some reason. Has been happening for at least... 10 years?....

Anyhoo... NOOOOOOOO! I barely pay attention to the NFL, and this was one of the players I like!

Why Madden! Why!
Ah, thanks guys.
Well, sucks for New Orleans then. But after coming out of winning the Super Bowl it's not like it's going to mess with their reputation as much. And now that they've all gotten to the top there's not much of a reason to do good now.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
hey, they can just put a redskin on the cover every year and not have an effect! ZING!

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, maybe Brees can break the curse. If not, I'm not looking forward to Brunell ball all season.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
brodie21 said:
hey, they can just put a redskin on the cover every year and not have an effect! ZING!
Oh snap! I must admit as a formal DC resident (and fan) that stung a little.(even though thats true)

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
oppp7 said:
Rand-m said:
oppp7 said:

With the exception of Brett Favre, he was the 09 cover guy and still had an ok year.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Considering that all the Madden covers have been all the same "guy holding ball" with only slight variations in poses, why you want to throw your career away with this is beyond me.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
asinann said:
oppp7 said:
Rand-m said:
oppp7 said:

With the exception of Brett Favre, he was the 09 cover guy and still had an ok year.
Nah, it just cursed us and caused him to unretire...

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
I just hope the curse kicks in before December 6th, with the brutal schedule my Bengals got this year we need every break we can get. Who DEY!!!

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
brodie21 said:
Oh snap! I must admit as a formal DC resident (and fan) that stung a little.(even though thats true)
i live near DC, but i am not a redskins fan, even though my relatives have ribbed me about the redskins