DOOMed to be Controversial Forever

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
DOOMed to be Controversial Forever

Why DOOM is a masterpiece - and why it will never shed the violent reputation it's stuck with.

Read Full Article

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
If the new DOOM doesn't fully copy the glory that is Brutal Doom I am going to be pissed.

I want to see some demon shooting goryness in all its modern glory.

RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR!!!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Be controversal all you like. That's fine. I will still poke fun at people who are surprised that Doom (any iteration of it) is a violent and bloody, and then complain about it. It will never change. Mortal Kombat will never change. Violent video games will never change. Stop complaining. You're wasting air. I'm glad to see that other people found signficance in it in other ways, but the ones who are jammed in neutral do nothing for me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"the games within the FPS genre were unofficially renamed "Doom Clones."

Uh... super weird sentence there!
How about: "the games within the FPS genre were generally CALLED "Doom Clones.".

Renaming is something only creators of a property (or being) can do.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
An interesting thought, that- how much of the attention the series gets is due to its reputation for graphic violence? More to the point, how much are Zenimax still banking on said reputation? I'd've thought the world knows by now that DOOM is a violent series, but what other justification for dropping the number and using a name that's already taken could there be (aside from an attempt to prove to the world that they don't understand how numbers work)?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
" the developers dropped the "4" from the original working title and presented the game as just DOOM"
Tell me they're going to add it back or I'm going to be ranting about it like Star Wars Battlefront 3 (yes 3, EA doesn't know how to count)

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
This was an interesting article that I feel like should have been about a page longer... I think Doom's interesting place in today's current social-political climate, is where this was leading and I feel a little bit left hanging. That being said I'm torn cause I'm not sure I want to have that argument again.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
MarsAtlas said:
crimson5pheonix said:
MarsAtlas said:
snip

Also you brain-goofed and called the Cyberdemon "Spiderdemon". It happens.

snip
No, Spiderdemon is correct.

Really? I shouldn't post sleep deprived. I last played it just a few months ago too.
You DO fight the cyberdemon at the end of the second part, and the cyberdemon is cooler.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
While 1992's Wolfenstein 3D was widely credited with inventing the First Person Shooter (despite examples dating back to the early 1970s)
Any specific titles? The earliest thing I can think of that could be said to fit the description was Battlezone, and that came out in 1980. Catacomb 3D came out in 1991, and there were games like The Eidolon before that, but... I can't think of anything before Battlezone, and I'd genuinely like to expand my knowledge if there was something I missed.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
MarsAtlas said:
snip

snip

you're still wrong tho, they're the arachnotron and the spider mastermind, not spiderdemons
scrub
:^)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
teh_Canape said:
crimson5pheonix said:
MarsAtlas said:
snip

snip

you're still wrong tho, they're the arachnotron and the spider mastermind, not spiderdemons
scrub
If I want to school you, kid, it was called spiderdemon in the original release and was later changed in future games. Scrub :p

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
teh_Canape said:
crimson5pheonix said:
MarsAtlas said:
snip

snip

scrub
If I want to school you, kid, it was called spiderdemon in the original release and was later changed in future games. Scrub :p
>read wiki
>looks up own Doom manual
I stand corrected
but I will find something to school you on, just you watch

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
with critics labeling the presentation disturbingly hyper-violent
Critics? As in more than just She Who Shalt Not Be Named? I asked a few times before because I always try to remember what organizations trot out the "videogames bad!" sensationalism but I've not seen anybody but her speak on it poorly. I'm sure there will be a few news outlets once it gets closer to release, but even then it won't be anywhere near on the scale as back in the day. Hell, I don't think Doom 3 even got a blip on the radar from them. I only really draw attention to it though because purporting her as a noteworthy critic is kind of what propogates her attention to begin with.
Yeah, apart from the one or two tweets from the regular source of nerd-rage, I haven't seen any controversy.
Maybe I'm just emotionally dead, but when I saw the new DOOM gameplay video, I just thought `Well isn't that cute, returning to the days where bloodsplatter made something edgy`. Don't get me wrong, I love me some DOOM (the first one is by far my favourite though and I thought after the second it just didn't feel the same)- but I don't think this entry is particularly controversial.

We simply have too many games now where you can pretty much liquefy your opponent, it's not that special any more.