Doomsday Arcade: Episode 20

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
londelen said:
His Small Guns skill is too low.
Wait... miniguns and flamethrowers are small guns now?

Hehe, "I'm a mighty, mighty man... I'm in my prime" -> Fallout 3 references. : ) I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable, logical explanation for why the Michaels are still alive; I'm more confused about the first bit. What was with that?

PS: Apologies for the smart-assery at the start.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Pretty awesome episode. The skull fucked joke made me laugh but the thumb thing was a little gross, haha.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abengoshis said:
kozmo said:
What the hell was that!? the entire episode was weird. One of the weirdest things was the fact that they showed as in the episode that Toad is an extremely well trained soldier but yet from some reason, everyone think he is horrible. If it wasn't for the Michaels invincibility they would have died so many times and yet he is considered by everyone to be horribly untrained.

Seriously, did you see how fast he responded when he heard shanks? Did you see how fast he pooled out his gun and got direct hits to Shanks face even through his other hand was holding Lund and that his pistol was probably in his pocket or something? I have many other points about Toad, but the biggest point is-Toad isn't a wimp. He seems to be a war veteran but yet, from some reason he is considered a wimp.

That doesn't make sense.

and about the invincibility- I vote for god mode

edit: how did shanks look at his forehead, that's impossible, why did the new guys that were killed start screaming in horror after they were shot rather than screaming of pain? And of course there is to ask why did they scream the same before, during and after they were shot without the shot actually making a difference in the tone of the scream?

Why did toad carry so many weapons if in the last episode he was just leaving Mario that doesn't respect him, rather than just carry a pistol?

In short- logic has left the building

Answer: It's an internet series, it doesn't NEED to make sense...
You're probably right, but still... so many things were so obviously inaccurate. Don't get me wrong, I love the story about video games taking other earth. The points I made were technical. But yeah, it is a web series your right it doesn't need to be technically making any sense.

Edit: I changed my vote from god mode (after realizing it just can't be it from a hell lot of reasons) to: Toad is actually their ally although I am not sure... they did die last episode because he shot them... or did they faint? Anyway i think "Toad is an ally" theory makes sense, but so does the "Toad is a low level character" theory make sense to me

Edit (more editing actually): to those that are having a hard time understanding what I said (or rather-wrote), allow me to explain deeper. An illogical story parts are when something weird happens but is explained in a way that makes sense through the story like: they are still alive after being shot a lot (it would probably be explained in the next episode) and that games are taking other earth (it makes sense through the story). I have no problem with those; in fact I think it's awesome and great.

An illogical technical part is when they made something that doesn't make sense without any explanation, not mentioning why it happened or how, simply because they didn't notice it to be completely weird and senseless. Like when Shanks looked at his own forehead or when toad was carrying two loaded pistols, a meat cleaver, a fully loaded Mini gun and a flamer.

But I agree, there is no need to nitpick

Scarecrow21

Apr 1, 2009
They probably have a health bar and all toad has done is just run that down, next episode if they get shot some more they should start glowing red and then be forced to sit in a corner somewhere to regen their health.

Leifur

Oct 17, 2008
Isn't it obvious? They are mighty mighty men, and their young and their in their primes.

benylor

May 30, 2009
I would like to dispute the Alex Mercer theory.

It is clear that for a brief period they were - or, well, at the very least Lund was - under the effects of Mercer. A few episodes later, they make a point of Lund's speech going back to normal. Presumedly the effects wearing off?

However, my theory has a hole in it too. Maybe. It could go both ways. In the episode where Toad and Wario are introduced, the same episode as I remarked upon above, apparently Shanks should have been killed by the pong paddles but he just looks a little sore. Now, this could actually be the Alex Mercer durability for this period, or it could be that again Shanks is just too high level to die from Pong. (I mean, seriously, Pong has gotta be lower level than Toad even. Unless you count it being around since forever which should give it a very high level. One or the other). It seems unlikely that the series would include two plot-influencing invulnerability states... So, it could be Mercer, it could be level, it could even be something to do with Polybius for all we know.

I will stop theorising and await the evidence, patiently.

IAmWright777

Sep 25, 2009
Megido said:
benylor said:
Kalezian said:
Nimbus said:
Uh... Hmmm...

I'm guessing you can't be killed by a non-agressive NPC?
or, Toad cant do any damage because he is a weakling, like Mario said.
I'd be inclined to believe this guy. Remember, video game laws. They were just recently in RPG land too, and this is common RPG territory.

The Michaels (sorry) are probably at like level 40 by final fantasy standards by now - they were able to directly challenge the Dice Lord and get the exposition out of him, but unable to hit him. 30 sounds roughly right to me, at least. In any case, their level is relatively high.

Toad, of course, is a little *****. Level 1, if that. If a 10-small guns skill Lone Wanderer shoots a Super Mutant Overlord with a The Terrible Shotgun, it's still going to do shit damage on account of the skill being so low, despite the animation being exactly the same as if the skill was higher.

Ergo, Toad is simply too low level to do any real damage.
I am having to edit my previous post, because I realized that my opinion has been stated twenty times better than I could put it. To be honest, I never thought about the RPG land theory. Though would they have been leveling up all along despite not being in that land?

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Loved the Fallout 3 reference.

"Maybe we're just mighty, mighty men."
"Well, I am young and in my prime."

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
kozmo said:
What the hell was that!? the entire episode was weird. One of the weirdest things was the fact that they showed as in the episode that Toad is an extremely well trained soldier but yet from some reason, everyone think he is horrible. If it wasn't for the Michaels invincibility they would have died so many times and yet he is considered by everyone to be horribly untrained.

Seriously, did you see how fast he responded when he heard shanks? Did you see how fast he pooled out his gun and got direct hits to Shanks face even through his other hand was holding Lund and that his pistol was probably in his pocket or something? I have many other points about Toad, but the biggest point is-Toad isn't a wimp. He seems to be a war veteran but yet, from some reason he is considered a wimp.

That doesn't make sense.

and about the invincibility- I vote for god mode

edit: how did shanks look at his forehead, that's impossible, why did the new guys that were killed start screaming in horror after they were shot rather than screaming of pain? And of course there is to ask why did they scream the same before, during and after they were shot without the shot actually making a difference in the tone of the scream?

Why did toad carry so many weapons if in the last episode he was just leaving Mario that doesn't respect him, rather than just carry a pistol?

In short- logic has left the building
whoa boy, calm down lol

but yeah one thing's for sure: they're messing with our heads =.=
until the next episode...whoo

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Kalezian said:
Nimbus said:
Uh... Hmmm...

I'm guessing you can't be killed by a non-agressive NPC?
or, Toad cant do any damage because he is a weakling, like Mario said.
it would put a spin on the RPG idea of "i have just slashed this guy 3 times, but just cos hes got a lot of health and i dont do mucc damage hes still alive"

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The Sorrow said:
1337mokro said:
The Sorrow said:
My guess is Alex Mercer powers.
Hey don't steal my posts.

Nah go ahead and do whatever you like.
Teehee.
Seriously though, that was my explanation even before discovering your wisdom.
I know so let's see if we are both right or if titch has the bull by the horns, 5 euro says they are haunted by Alex's spirit.

Titch007uk said:
Episode was a bit weak. I'm a little bit confused as how this show can come out with epic episodes like the Dicelord/Fear ones and then occasional have stupidly gory, childish in joke fests with a little bit of gamer humour thrown in for good mesure.

ANYWAY. WILD THEORY TIME: On the subject of invunerability.

1) God Mode. Unlikely, in the episode in which they activate god mode Lund and Shanks are blocked from leaving by a warning message. The implication is that they had to switch it off. More to the point, God Mode would trash any sense of dramatic tension and just plain be a cop out

2) Mercer Inverunerbility. I thought it was likely before. Less so now. Seeing as before the implication was that Lund got one gift and Shanks got another. Memory and Regeration respectively.

3) Micheal Poison backfiring. Plausible, but seems a bit...obscure. Seeing as there's been no futher referance to it since that episode.

4) Lund and Shanks stats being high in comparison to Toads. More likely, given the amount that 19 was talking about stats and there effect on events. The two snags I see with this is that the Dicelord didn't comment on their Constitution stat, only a very high luck. The other big drawback is that they aren't in RPG world any more, so the same rules might not apply any more. Toad it's an RPG gaming abstraction, which whilst it doesn't stop him from being a ***** means he can't really have stats.

5) No damage due to friendly fire. This fits nicely assuming they are on the same side for some unknown reason, given that the TF2 abstraction fits, the guns are the same. It's weird that they died from the first shots, but it could just be dramatic lisence.

I'm going with 4 or 5 right now. To me them being on the same team is the -most- likely possibility given that Toad really resents Mario/Luigi and it implies an allience with anyone else who has the same feeling.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Just watched episode 2 and I've got to say, the acting has improved a lot since then.

m0nkeyb

Oct 16, 2009
Good ep guys, not the best but still pretty funny.

As for lund and shanks being still alive, i go with a mix of the mercer theory and fable 2.
Shanks did black out.. Maybe he's got a scar now. lol

Ether that or the world's broke and they need to contact customer support and submit a ticket.

LegsyWegsy

Jan 31, 2008
I was so hoping for Tom to have his own episode, hes awesome, sorry guys, he just beats you ;D

also phwoar...