Doomsday May Have A Role Beyond Batman v Superman

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1031/1031074.pngAccording to director Zack Snyder, there's a lot more to Doomsday's mythology than the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer could show.

Last month's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165280-New-Batman-v-Superman-Trailer-Reveals-Doomsday-Wonder-Woman#&gid=gallery_5160&pid=1>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice trailer certainly had some surprises for fans: It gave us Wonder Woman's big reveal, teased the existence of Parademons, and even <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136096-Rumor-Doomsday-Set-to-Appear-in-Batman-v-Superman>broke out Doomsday for a final climactic throwdown. But why go with Doomsday in a movie that's already jam-packed with characters? According to director Zack Snyder, that's because Doomsday's mythology has a role that might come into play for the upcoming Justice League films.

The context for this reveal kicked off last week, when Snyder discussed how Batman v Superman will lead into Justice League. "In a weird way, Justice League is the next step for these characters to form a bigger team," he said. "Maybe there's a bigger enemy to fight." When asked more recently to elaborate on this bigger enemy, Snyder answered: "Well, you have Doomsday, right? He doesn't just crawl out of the ground. He has his own mythology, right? So that has to be explored."

We can't say for certain what role Doomsday will have in Justice League. After all, exploring his "mythology" is a very different thing from making him a major Justice League villain. But Snyder's comments do suggest that Doomsday's origins will connect to the larger DC cinematic universe - to the point that it influenced the decision to reveal Doomsday in this trailer. "To us it really made sense to give [Doomsday] to the audience now," Snyder explained. "I really wanted to make the audience a promise that... though I'm super excited and happy and fulfilled by the conflict of Batman and Superman, there's also a bigger world to start to think about."

[gallery=5414]

And while we're on the topic, remember how spoilerific that trailer seemed to be? Snyder hastened to add that while we know Doomsday's coming, that doesn't mean we know everything about his Batman v Superman plot line just yet. "I know what's in the movie, so I know there's other stuff," Snyder laughed.

Source: GamesRadar

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let me guess, Zod is Doomsday and as a bonus, he can probably talk aswell like Zod than just some mindless beast. That what I was under the impression from the new trailer.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
Let me guess, Zod is Doomsday and as a bonus, he can probably talk aswell like Zod than just some mindless beast. That what I was under the impression from the new trailer.
Well judging from Injustic Gods Among Us alone Doomsday does talk so he does appear to have some sort of sentiance.

Jsan the Candyman

Sep 5, 2014
I have an odd feeling Doomsday will go the same way as the Rhino in Amazing Spiderman 2, popping up in the last minute of the movie to tease a sequel.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The more I read about this movie the more of a cluster fuck I think it's going to be.

Maybe I'm wrong and the movie will turn out fine, but it just sounds like it's all over the place.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Most versions of Doomsday's 'mythos' don't lend themselves well to a continued influence on the DC universe. Only two that I can think of would fit.

1. Doomsday cannot die, and thus just keeps coming back, over and over and over. Pretty lame idea for the movies.
2. Introduction of Cadmus (Justice League Animated Version). This one I like.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
'A Bigger Villain To Fight'

I hope it's not Darkseid. Not because he's a bad villain. In fact, he's one of the few DC baddies I know that's typically considered a Justice League villain. But Marvel is basically already doing him with Thanos (even though Darkseid came first in the comics).

Would be funny if they went with Starro though.

Synigma

Dec 24, 2014
I just don't understand WHY they felt they needed to tease Doomsday. With the teasing of all the other heroes everyone was already saying it's a cluster... unless maybe they are trying to give them a reason to all be in the movie working together? It's just SO forced. Because there are so many characters and the scenes they've shown us... I mean we all know basically how the movie is going to go story wise: Lex is planning something and sees an opportunity to turn heroes against each other to keep them out of his hair, insert obligatory forced setup to get 2 guys that should be working together to fight each other, then BAM, Doomsday happens and they have to overcome their differences to realize they are on the same side after all. Doomsday is defeated, heroes rejoice, heroes exchange numbers, roll credits.

But here is my final thought:

If this was a good movie that they were confident in they wouldn't have to announce Doomsday. He would be the icing on the cake that had everyone coming out of the movie screaming about how great the 'twist' at the end was. Instead they are throwing all their toys on the table hoping that people will want to come play with them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Snyder hastened to ass that while we know Doomsday's coming...
Bit of a typo there, my friend, as I'm guessing you meant "say". Buuuuuut considering the subject of the article, I can't really blame you for it. :3

OT: I beg to differ with Mr. Snyder, as I'm going to go ahead and lay out my prediction for the movie's plot:

Batman witnesses Supermans' scuffle with Zod and how it levels an entire city. He believes an alien with super powers should be held accountable for leveling an entire city, yet everyone treats him like a faultless hero.

Superman knows of a crazy vigilante in Gotham going around trampling all over civil rights and due process, as such he believes Batman isn't the hero he claims to be.

Luthor - assuming he's got the same motivations as in the comic - believes that humanity should stand on it's own and shouldn't be under the protection of an offworlder who could kill everyone if he wanted to. As such, he instigates a fight between Batman and Superman.

When Batman fails to defeat Superman, Luthor decides to take it upon himself to handle the task. As such, he uses Zod's corpse to unleash Doomsday, granting a bigger foe for Batman and Superman to team up against.

Also: Wonder Woman is there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they pulled an Amazing Spider-Man 2 on this one. Remember how that shot of Spidy flinging the manhole cover at Rhino got everyone pumped up for that fight, only to find out that it was literally the last shot in the movie? I wouldn't be surprised if that zoom-in of Supes, Bats, and WW standing in a line about to face off against Doomsday is the last shot in this movie.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Chimpzy said:

I hope it's not Darkseid. Not because he's a bad villain. In fact, he's one of the few DC baddies I know that's typically considered a Justice League villain. But Marvel is basically already doing him with Thanos (even though Darkseid came first in the comics).

Darkseid and Thanos have very little in common.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Ya, he's going to be Troll #7 in the next Harry Potter movie: Fantastic Creatures and Where to Find them.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Agent_Z said:
Chimpzy said:

Darkseid and Thanos have very little in common.
You're right. Thanos is an evil godlike galactic conqueror with a distinct powerful build and rough facial features who lives in space with other godlike beings and seeks to dominate the universe while being obsessed with the opposite of life. While Darkseid is an evil godlike galactic conqueror with a distinct powerful build and rough facial features who lives in space with other godlike beings and seeks to dominate the universe while being obsessed with the opposite of life. Ok, to be fair, the opposite of life is death in Thanos case and the Anti-Life Equation for Darkseid.

Jim Starlin, Thanos' creator, has himself admitted that Jack Kirby's Darkseid and the New Gods cosmology was a major inspiration behind his own creation. Although it was his editor that told him to give Thanos the beefy build, apprently having said something along the lines of: "If you're going to rip off the New Gods, at least steal Darkseid, the good one".

Of course, they are not the same character and they have diverged from each other since their creation, even though one was inspiration for the other, but they do fulfill roughly the same function within their respective universes: galactic big bad that generally requires a whole team of superheroes to take down.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ukomba said:
Ya, he's going to be Troll #7 in the next Harry Potter movie: Fantastic Creatures and Where to Find them.
Uh I think you meant Lord of the Rings Troll sinces Trolls in Harry Potter's universe looks nothing like Doomsday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5g_GFm1W0

Also Michael Shannon is playing Doomsday so they used his Likeness for Doomsday's facial looks.

So it says alot about Michael Shannon himself. The man looks like a LOTR Troll:

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/michael-shannon.jpg

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/TVSpot5b.jpg

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Ukomba said:
Uh I think you meant Lord of the Rings Troll sinces Trolls in Harry Potter's universe looks nothing like Doomsday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5g_GFm1W0

Also Michael Shannon is playing Doomsday so they used his Likeness for Doomsday's facial looks.

So it says alot about Michael Shannon himself. The man looks like a LOTR Troll:

http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/michael-shannon.jpg

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/TVSpot5b.jpg
No no no, that was a Mountain Troll, clearly I'm talking about the river troll ;)

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/3/35/RiverTroll.png

MetalheroDamien

Blackwing Hybrid Hero
Mar 25, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
We don't know whether or not he can talk, but it's pretty obvious from the trailer that Doomsday is Zod's corpse.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Fanghawk said:
Snyder hastened to ass that while we know Doomsday's coming...
Bit of a typo there, my friend, as I'm guessing you meant "say". Buuuuuut considering the subject of the article, I can't really blame you for it. :3
I'd say add as it's just a keystroke away..

My guess is he pops up at the end to be the bad guy for the next, or, at best, one fight where they team up to take him down, but obviously he comes back stronger for the next film.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Any one else concerned that they are just going in raw? I'd appreciate a little foreplay before thrusting all these characters on us in one movie.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
The more I read about this movie the more of a cluster fuck I think it's going to be.

Maybe I'm wrong and the movie will turn out fine, but it just sounds like it's all over the place.
Really? I don't. I already knew it was going to be a complete cluster fuck before we had even one trailer. I had already heard that Luthor, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and Doomsday would be in it. At that point, the idea that this would be anything less than a cluster fuck trying to lead into Justice League, to get that sweet Avengers money, left my mind. Plus, now we know Aquaman will be in it, and maybe Flash I had heard.

The more I see of this movie, the more I wonder: Will this movie be bad, or so bad it's good?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
As it goes on this film just gets more and more overstuffed.Its a shame that they want to blow their whole load in the first movie.

The way they are doing this would be like if Marvel had tried to jam Iron Man 1, Cap America, and Hulk into one film with a dash of the Avengers thrown in.