Dota 2's Gameplay Amazes Announcers

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Heroes in the original DotA (see WC3 Engine) had those crappy names as description of what they do but had other names in the game. Example: Magina - The Anti-Mage, Rexxar - The Beastmaster, Mercurial - The Spectre, Rhasta - The Shadow Shaman. For DotA 2 they pretty much just took the description which I think made the game lose quite a bit of the "wooo shiny hero" idea it had going for it. I really liked those little names + descriptions for one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
it looks kind of neat but I dont see how its better then league, if its free Ill probably give it a shot but if its not then Ill stick with league

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
RabbidKuriboh said:
is it just me or are the hero names awful? i mean anti-mage?, beastmaster? seems pretty lazy
Those names (hero-types, actually) are straight out of the original DotA.

-m

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm not a fan of Dota/Moba/rpg-strategy-blah-blah genre, but this footage certainly looks pretty neat.

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
Having play a lot of LoL and a little bit of DotA, to me, DotA 2 looks dangerously close to LoL. Even if they both did draw from the same source, I thought Valve would be able to do more with the formula. I dunno if they can win over LoL's base like this, but hey, good luck to them.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I've been keeping up with the dota 2 tournament they've been having and the game looks like a blast, really looking forward to it.

jonmcnamara

Apr 4, 2008
Jjkaybomb said:
Having play a lot of LoL and a little bit of DotA, to me, DotA 2 looks dangerously close to LoL. Even if they both did draw from the same source, I thought Valve would be able to do more with the formula. I dunno if they can win over LoL's base like this, but hey, good luck to them.
This is the problem. Dota 2 doesnt look like Lol, dota 2 looks like.. dota. I see the same champions casting the same spells. NO difference whatsoever from dota 1 aside from more voices and a new engine. I havent played dota 2, or seen any info on it, and I already know what all the heroes are doing, casting, and items they are building.

What is the point of Dota 2 if we are going to have it be identical to Dota? How are they expecting to compete with LOL? League has new heroes, more maps, Dominion coming out, summoner abilities, and is FREE.

I mean why play dota 2 over HON since they are the same thing but HON is free.

LOL took the idea of dota and ran it in a new an interesting direction... And dota 2 instead makes me feel like I am playing my familys IBM again.

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
Ehhhhhhhh sorry but this looks WAY too much like a carbon-copy of DoTa and HoN. Thats why I like LoL, sure it is not completely original but they moved the concept away from the original and tried to improve upon the formula.

This ..... just looks to be more of the same ol same ol DoTa. Sorry but If i want to play DoTa ill just hit up my old WC3 CD or play HoN. So far im unimpressed.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Apollo45 said:
Meh, looks like League of Legends with more 'realistic' graphics and crappy character names.

Think I'll be sticking to LoL.
I'm thinking the same too, sadly. Might be interesting to see more footage of it to see how it turns out, but I'm more of a fan of LoL's mechanics, anyways.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
jonmcnamara said:
What is the point of Dota 2 if we are going to have it be identical to Dota? How are they expecting to compete with LOL? League has new heroes, more maps, Dominion coming out, summoner abilities, and is FREE.
DotA2 has more heroes than LoL, all 100+ heroes from DotA will be ported, meaning that the game will have around 20 characters more. Also - DotA2 will have several modes:

Easy Mode - No XP loss on death.
Normal Mode - New orb effects system, bug fixes that cannot be fixed on old WC3 platform.
Classic Mode - Name says it all.
Fortress Mode - a team is attacking while the other defends, defending team can buy traps, attacking team can buy creeps
Arena Mode - Teamed death match.
Commander Mode - When you die you are changed into another hero with the same items and same level. The first side to run out of heroes or to lose their base loses (similar to death-match mode)

There is also All Random Mid, Wild Mode and Free Mode.

Also - no one knows how much DotA2 will cost, it may be F2P.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
They actually found someone to commentate on that ? When i tuned in to the stream earlier yesterday all i saw was some crappy observer who was afk half of the time and not showing fights the other half, not saying a word for about half an hour. I turned off the stream after that and switched back it IEM SC2 tourney.

If Valve wants to see DOTA2 as eSport they have some job to do, considering LoL is getting established on the scene slowly but steadily. Oh well, best of luck and all that. I still prefer RTSes and fighting games as spectator sport, MOABs are just too messy.

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
I hope this won't share the completely awful communities of HoN and LoL

No room for new people in those games :/

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
I still don't understand why do with have 3 games that are pretty much the same thing but with different heroes and graphics.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
I was enjoying watching this live yesterday but I had to turn it off because the commentator just pissed me the hell off with his constant blah blah and all OF A SUDDEN JUST GETTING REALLY EXCITED AND I COULDNT UNDERSTAND A WORD HE SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID.

But it looks like a great game anyway :D

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Kiraxa said:
The saddest thing to me so far about this, is that they're still going by the same outdated conventions that detract heavily from gameplay. Namely, no diminishing returns on CC, and denying. CC spam prevents you from controlling your character entirely, and denying heavily favors ranged characters over melee, as well as being the result of the WC3 engine, yet the hardcore idiots of dota convinced the map makers to keep it in... and now its being dragged to dota 2. Sad day, sad day.
Diminishing returns on CC is dumb. Why should it exist? If you put yourself in that position, you deserve it. If they had enough people to chain CC you, where was your own backup to return fire? It's a team game, if they can organize a hit on you and get it off they deserve the kill. CC spam exists in LoL, the difference being that sustain is so out of control that it's impossible to kill people in almost ny circumstance but a team fight. That's why competitive games have like half hour laning phases with kills in the single digits. Killing people is too much effort for too little gain. Last hitting actually heavily favors melee. They have quicker animations, and access to the hatchet that gives them even more damage. The downside is they are more vulnerable to harass. Denying is a great mechanic. It allows more ways to control a lane. You can stop your lane from pushing, or allow it to push as you see fit, and gives more to do in lane. Watch high level LoL, they just sit there waiting for last hits with no interaction. Denying reduces lane passiveness and is good for the game. I'm hardly a hardcore player and I recognize it.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
Comic Sans said:
Diminishing returns on CC is dumb. Why should it exist? If you put yourself in that position, you deserve it. If they had enough people to chain CC you, where was your own backup to return fire? It's a team game, if they can organize a hit on you and get it off they deserve the kill. CC spam exists in LoL, the difference being that sustain is so out of control that it's impossible to kill people in almost ny circumstance but a team fight. That's why competitive games have like half hour laning phases with kills in the single digits. Killing people is too much effort for too little gain. Last hitting actually heavily favors melee. They have quicker animations, and access to the hatchet that gives them even more damage. The downside is they are more vulnerable to harass. Denying is a great mechanic. It allows more ways to control a lane. You can stop your lane from pushing, or allow it to push as you see fit, and gives more to do in lane. Watch high level LoL, they just sit there waiting for last hits with no interaction. Denying reduces lane passiveness and is good for the game. I'm hardly a hardcore player and I recognize it.
Reducing cumulative CC is not dumb, simply because it shifts the focus towards many other types of ability, instead of the ubiquitous "chainlock gogogo". It is specially important in a game such as DotA, that has LUDICROUS CC amount/duration, soft and hard. It's nice to see teams composed by more than simply locking potential. Diversity is a good thing.

Denying is an old mechanic that was gladly left out in LoL. There are many things happening during the laning phase, and without the added deny layer, you can concentrate in the enemy champion instead of playing "whack-a-creep". The fact that some heroes are MUCH better at it overstates the fact that it is not the best thing to have in a game.

About sustain being out of control in LoL, please elaborate. The only champion that is really annoying to play against (as a duo crutch) is Soraka, simply because she is a self-sustaining healbot which brings little else in terms of damage and utility. Other than that, sustain is ok. Even then, Riot will cater to the wailing masses and will nerf laning sustain by quite a bit in a future patch.

I like DotA, and I played it weekly with a group of friends (and enemies) for... maybe 3 years, give or take. But, it has aged poorly. I am quite flabbergasted that DotA 2 will be the copy/paste we've seen so far. It is a game locked up in time by mass CC. And, it makes even less sense since HoN has already done the exact same thing.

LoL at least had the decency to grab the genre and add to it, via removal of denying and gold loss on death, runes and masteries, AP system (making Mages useful from beginning to end), etc. Riot just needs to provide some core elements the game is still missing, such as replays and observer. They are long overdue.

I'll keep on reading about DotA 2, but if this video is any indication of what's to come... thanks but no thanks. I have moved on.

weker

May 27, 2009
I am happy to greet DOTA 2 Hon doesn't do it for me as it UI is shocking, and the graphics are polluted with over the top particle effects.

weker

May 27, 2009
Jjkaybomb said:
HoN players wanted Dota but upgraded
DOTA 2 is DOTA upgraded
DOTA 2 is purely for DOTA players

LoL decided to do more with stuff like their changes to healing and stealth but also Dominion their capture the flag game mode.