Dota 2's Gameplay Amazes Announcers

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I want to try it out.
So I'll be hoping it'll be F2P. I already play LoL, but I still want to see what Valve can come up with.

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
jonmcnamara said:
Jjkaybomb said:
Having play a lot of LoL and a little bit of DotA, to me, DotA 2 looks dangerously close to LoL. Even if they both did draw from the same source, I thought Valve would be able to do more with the formula. I dunno if they can win over LoL's base like this, but hey, good luck to them.
This is the problem. Dota 2 doesnt look like Lol, dota 2 looks like.. dota. I see the same champions casting the same spells. NO difference whatsoever from dota 1 aside from more voices and a new engine. I havent played dota 2, or seen any info on it, and I already know what all the heroes are doing, casting, and items they are building.

What is the point of Dota 2 if we are going to have it be identical to Dota? How are they expecting to compete with LOL? League has new heroes, more maps, Dominion coming out, summoner abilities, and is FREE.

I mean why play dota 2 over HON since they are the same thing but HON is free.

LOL took the idea of dota and ran it in a new an interesting direction... And dota 2 instead makes me feel like I am playing my familys IBM again.
Well, when I tried to play original DotA, I remember it was kind've a pain in the ass to find the right version. My boyfriend said the LoL guys took it down from the main download site, but I think he was just guessing.

People still play Quake 3 and Counter-strike, maybe they are trying to directly target people who just want to play more vanilla DotA? But that feels almost too narrow of a market... and people who had already downloaded the maps when it was popular would still be playing those.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
LoL with never be as balanced as DOTA2 because of the Rune system/Talent System, On the other hand LoL will always be popular with WoW/MMO fans since it offers easy wins for Grinders (again look at the Rune system it takes over 3 months to get a full rune page if you play one or two games a day)

From all the comments i can tell that most people into LOL have never played DotA, Trust me Play this game LOL fans the Heros in this game are very interesting compared to LOL, Im not sure what LOL developers are thinking releasing the same hero with different particle effects and model every 3 weeks.

And in case this game will be free to play And will have limited choice in champions just go play Warcraft 3 Dota on Garena last time i checked there are over 100000 people playing dota on Garena.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
Been playing Dota, HoN and LoL and i`m quite disappointed with how it looks. The artstyle is very bad and it reminds me of LoL. I think it will be f2p.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I'm cautiously excited about this game. It looks very cool visually (it's stupid but that does matter to me) and even though it's apparently a direct port of DOTA, DOTA is, I've heard a very different game than LoL. So it will be something new to learn.

That said, if the DOTA/HON community of dickheads, who supposedly comprise their player base, isn't somehow separated from the huge influx of new players that will undoubtedly try out DOTA 2, then , I'll either grow some rhino skin and deal with all the players hating the noob, or give up a week after launch.

Though it is difficult in this type of game, I really believe DOTA 2 will be made or broken based on its ability to create a community that isn't toxic to newcomers. Given that DOTA's initial learning curve is said to be steeper than LoL, growing their player base is going to be a huge challenge. Hardcore is great, just don't expect to make that much money on it. And I'm sure Valve wants to make money on this.

Nauticus

Jul 23, 2011
ionveau said:
LoL with never be as balanced as DOTA2 because of the Rune system/Talent System, On the other hand LoL will always be popular with WoW/MMO fans since it offers easy wins for Grinders (again look at the Rune system it takes over 3 months to get a full rune page if you play one or two games a day)

From all the comments i can tell that most people into LOL have never played DotA, Trust me Play this game LOL fans the Heros in this game are very interesting compared to LOL, Im not sure what LOL developers are thinking releasing the same hero with different particle effects and model every 3 weeks.

And in case this game will be free to play And will have limited choice in champions just go play Warcraft 3 Dota on Garena last time i checked there are over 100000 people playing dota on Garena.
Ofcourse lol have more new players. Not that many bought a completly different game just to play a complelty different mod/map. So when a standalone client came out it captured the interest of the rest of the gaming population.

Wc3 is extremly sluggish, no only-hon/lol player could possibly even enjoy it the slightest, and only get mashed down by the worst community ever existed.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
ionveau said:
I really can't see the sense here. Runes give miniscule bonus' that may often not even give a benefit. The way you 'grind' for runes is by... playing the game. Oh my heaven's no, don't make me do THAT!

I would very strongly argue that the difference in balance between hero's (in any game of Dota Ancestry) is much greater than the difference in balance caused by runes and Mastery's.