Dota 2's The International Prize Pool Totals $2.8 million

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dota 2's The International Prize Pool Totals $2.8 million

Dota 2's already impressive rewards for The International are increasing with each purchase of an Interactive Compendium.

As much as your parents might tell you otherwise, professional gaming is big business. Dota 2's The International, one of the industry's biggest competitive gaming tournaments, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119425-DotA-2-Champions-Win-1-Million>awarded a million dollar grand prize to winners last year not to mention the hundreds of thousands for runner-ups. This year's tournament promises even bigger rewards, although so far no one can officially offer the total figure. The reason? Because that total is still rising. The International's prize pool is increasing by $2.50 with every purchase of an Interactive Compendium, currently bringing the grand total to $2.8 million.

The Interactive Compendium is a digital book that keeps Dota 2 players updated on what's happening at The International. New information on matches is uploaded into the book as the tournament progresses, while special in-game rewards are unlocked with each purchase. If Compendium sales manage to reach a planned $3.2 million goal, then all buyers will get a say in the next Dota 2 hero added to the game.

At its current breakdown, the grand prize comes to $1.4 million, while second and third-place runner-ups earn $619 thousand and $281 thousand respectively. If you're personally interested in a Compendium yourself, it will set you back $10 dollars while increasing those rewards even further.

Source: Dota 2, via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/4/4588154/the-international-prize-pool-climbs-to-2-8m>Polygon

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
What I'm enjoying the most is the massive XP boost. The compendium will not only boost your XP by a fuckton, but will also give a small bonus to everyone else you play with, on your and the opponent's team. A match with all compendium owners will grant a lot of points, because that shit stacks. I hope they have something like this in the future, too.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
And people say that playing games professionally is a job for fat nerds and won't pay well. I'd like to take this cash prize and rub it in their faces.

Also, most of them aren't fat. Look at these sexy beasts!

Of course, it's not easy to get that payoff... I should know from my own efforts T_T I'm totaling about $300 from my combined winnings, while others I know get about $20k - $25k a month by streaming, not even counting their ad revenue or winnings.

Nice to see the Escapist covering The International (somewhat). I'm rooting for Fnatic to take a top four finish myself.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
And people say that playing games professionally is a job for fat nerds and won't pay well. I'd like to take this cash prize and rub it in their faces.

Also, most of them aren't fat. Look at these sexy beasts!

Of course, it's not easy to get that payoff... I should know from my own efforts T_T I'm totaling about $300 from my combined winnings, while others I know get about $20k - $25k a month by streaming, not even counting their ad revenue or winnings.

Nice to see the Escapist covering The International (somewhat). I'm rooting for Fnatic to take a top four finish myself.
you make a sexy beast compilation yet you dont pick chuan and ixmike88 the sexy beasts of all alphas...

Anyway the compedium was a big hit, it game players a reason to chip in some cash to the prize pool. When i bought it i though that the battlepoint boost was already good enough compared to the ordinary boosters. Few weeks later we get a courier with several upgrades and an immortal item, we gave enough money for valve to host a 1v1 mini championship and we will got a HUD.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
I say buying the compendium for the items alone was worth it as it pacts a bunch of stuff.