Dotcom Light Sculpture On US Embassy Could Get Artist Jail Time

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Paragraph 103 of the German Penal Code, which makes it an offense to insult foreign heads of state
Is that a thing? He'd better come over to Blighty were you can call any head of state a twat, just don't bad mouth Her Maj' or your head will be on a pike outside the Tower.

Jun 20, 2013
Zombie_Moogle said:
Assault with a Deadly Projector.

This. This is why I'm starting my own country. Shake the Etchascetch
If I expatriate from the US, how long do I have to reside in your country to gain citizenship?

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
el_kabong said:
Since when did we start calling projector slideshows "light sculptures"? Seems a bit self-aggrandizing.
Before reading the article or seeing the video, I wondered what a light sculpture was and pictured what appeared to be a stone sculpture, but made of styrofoam instead. It's light and it's a sculpture!

Disappointing it wasn't as hilarious, but the message is there I guess.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Lo Flying Frying Pan said:
Zombie_Moogle said:

If I expatriate from the US, how long do I have to reside in your country to gain citizenship?
Haha, excellent question. I should probably start working out those details

I've already decided to annex the Great Pacific Garbage Patch; seriously, how has no one planted a flag there yet?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Charli said:
Oh for the love of pete Germany... Shouldn't you just turn your blind eye to this one. Your amiable relationship with america hasn't exactly been broadcast from the rooftops
I'm guessing the govt wants to make inroads, they probably had some good chances before Prism completely turned the public against that.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Bah, I came in here all excited about being able to decry the American Government and sarcastically state 'The land of the Free indeed'. Instead I'll just say this.

Et tu Germany, et tu?

Classy.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Oh, Escapist, you and your news.
He is currently not accused or anything.
The matter is being "investigated" by the police, which basically means they're thinking this may be illegal and might eventually question him or something.
He has gotten a lawyer, yes, but there was no trial or something, he just got a lawyer as a precaution.
Btw. He's also supplying anonymous with his light projectors.
There were 3 "light sculptures" in another 3 german cities and they want to sent at least one projector into each continent, so that people can demonstrate the same way.

Jun 20, 2013
Zombie_Moogle said:
Lo Flying Frying Pan said:
Zombie_Moogle said:

Haha, excellent question. I should probably start working out those details

I've already decided to annex the Great Pacific Garbage Patch; seriously, how has no one planted a flag there yet?
A widespread lack of vision ...

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
As an American who isn't a fan of Dotcom, I find this whole ordeal amusing and don't think the
"artist?!?" should be penalized. But if Germany has a case, it's in their court.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
A law where it's illegal to insult foreign heads of state makes a lot of sense. You don't want some idiot (artistic or satirical intentions aside) messing up the relations between two foreign nations. Don't hate on Germany about this when they are only upholding their own laws. I think the whole thing is idiotic. I'm in the camp of, "If America doesn't care, then why should they care", but it's also a sensible law.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I agree he should be arrested for this. He plastered it on a United States building. Freedom of speech protects you from being reprimanded by your own government for speaking out against your own government, not for potentially creating a diplomatic incident.

He should have directed his ire towards whoever is the minister of foreign affairs of his own country for not putting pressure on the United States via diplomatic channels.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Free-Speech? No, they do not want free speech. What they want is too steal other peoples creative works.

This "light sculpture", I do not care about. It does, actually, fall under Free-Speech so they can do that as a form of protest.

But Dotcom and his ilk, they do not care about anyone's rights but their own. They would gladly take away everyone's rights to produce, if they thought it keep them from having to pay for content.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Karloff said:
The artist's lawyer, Fabien Eickstädt, is arguing that, since the art was projected on the side of the US Embassy - American soil - German laws don't apply.
Sounds like someone needs a new lawyer.
Contrary to popular belief, diplomatic missions do not enjoy full extraterritorial status and are not sovereign territory of the represented state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassy#Extraterritoriality

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Isn't it illegal to insult someone in general in Germany?

I heard of one instance were two people were bought to court for getting into a mild argument over a parking lot. There wasn't even any swearing.