Double Fine Kickstarter Reaches Target In Six Days

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Double Fine Kickstarter Reaches Target In Six Days

Massive Chalice raises $736,126 and is still going strong.

Tim Schafer's Double Fine launched a Kickstarter for its turn-based strategy title Massive Chalice back on 30th May, within one day it raised half its ask, and within six days it reached and surpassed its $725K target. The funding total stands at $736,306 at time of writing, and there are still 23 days to go. Stretch goals ahoy! When the Kickstarter launched, Double Fine promised that the game would grow depending on the amount of funding received, but was coy about the specifics. "Ongoing conversations with the community" is Double Fine's stretch goal mantra; no doubt those conversations will start any time now.

Massive Chalice features you, as an immortal ruler over your domain, strategically manipulating royal marriages and kingdom-running schemes behind the scenes, while at the same time sending out your heroes to do battle against the foe. Your ultimate goal is to reunite the kingdom, eliminate the demonic threat, and reforge the Massive Chalice subtly hinted at in the game's title. You might be immortal, but nobody else is, so you'll need to replace your heroes as they grow old and die. A golden retirement plan - aka begat, begat, begat - is your best bet at keeping an army of heroes on the battlefield. Content is randomized, and that includes the heroes you get at the start; "the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate," according to its Kickstarter pitch. Schafer's currently exploring Yosemite [https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/340900681189818368], so if someone should notice him wandering the wilderness would you let him know his Kickstarter got funded, please?

If this sounds like the kind of thing that'd appeal, head over to Double Fine's Kickstarter page [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice] to learn more. That Massive Chalice would hit its goal was never in doubt, but to hit it so soon is pretty impressive. The only question now is, how far beyond that goal will it go? There's still three weeks plus to run, and folks love 'em some Double Fine goodness. We shall see!

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
thespyisdead said:
i think that is one of the most awesome pitch vids i have ever seen o_O
Agreed, that has to be one of the coolest places to work. I threw in $50 when it was at 99%, did I do it? Probably not. I don't see this getting Broken Age levels of success, the whole premise is a bit more esoteric than "Point and click adventure by maker of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango". It was before the great Kickstarter bombardment, too. How much money have people spent on pre-orders that they don't have yet so far?

Anyway, I'm excited as hell about this game. Every aspect of it sounds interesting, and obviously I trust the people in question. I try to tell everyone about it, if they weren't so polite I'd probably have heard a "shut up!" or two by now.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Call me when they make the update to Psychonauts generally available (it has a couple of bug fixes and improved gamepad support, not just achievements). Not everyone bought it off Steam, and if they can make a version for Linux they can make a generic patch available for Windows.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
o_O wow that's something

lol the other news that came out at the same time: "Shadow of the Eternals Studio Cancels Kickstarter"...

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Meh. Unless they can beat their previous record for raising funds or start a kickstarter for Iron Brigade 2 I don't find it that interesting.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I love Crusader Kings II but always wanted a bit more control over the tactical aspect of the game, I wanted to see how well my "made to order" generals* performed in ways other than numbers on a spreadsheet at the end of a battle.

This game offers the tactical combat I wanted to see.

* arranged marriage between two of my subjects both with "strong" and "quick" traits resulting in a low-born child with the same traits. I would raise him as my ward imparting my level 4 commander upbringing and encouraging him to be zealous, wrothful, diligent AND humble at the same time. When my character died and I took over as his eldest son he has a general in the wings with zero ambition to make a power play. Give the guy a county in the middle of no-where to secure his loyalty, marry him to some duke's or maybe one of your own female relatives (matrialnial too, he's low-born!) and you're ready to kick ass.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Fijiman said:
Meh. Unless they can beat their previous record for raising funds or start a kickstarter for Iron Brigade 2 I don't find it that interesting.
Well, they did mention in the pitch video that they don't have the rights to Iron Brigade anymore. On the other hand, Massive Chalice is a project by none other but the lead designer of IB. So there might be something interesting in it for you.

Scrumpmonkey said:
If Double Fine ever did give into the temptation to do a Psychonaughts Kickstarter they would raise sooooooooo much money.
I think a hypothetical Psychonauts sequel is outside the Kickstarter possibilities. They got 3 million (or was it almost that? I don't remember) for Broken Age, and the production updates make it pretty clear that the amount is just about right for a small project without any fancy bells & whistles. A project the size of Psychonauts 2 would probably need something in the realm of $20 million. And does it really have a fanbase big enough for that? Even here on the Escapist the memory of the game had been pretty much non-existent before Yahtzee devoted one of the early ZP episodes to it. Cult favourites' fanbases tend to be really vocal, but when it comes to show of hands, they're rather small.