Double Fine Turns To Kickstarter To Fund Massive Chalice

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Doom-Slayer said:
DTWolfwood said:
Release a kickstarted game first eh. Until then fuck off.
Its almost like your asking to be banned...

OT: Looks interesting though I probably wont back, not really my type of game and I lack the money right now.
Y do you say that? isn't this website of adults? I'm not the only one that shares that sentiment.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Credossuck said:
Shouldn't they, like, deliver on the first games first? Because, like, err... you know... trust and stuff.
Well, poo. Ninjaed by the first reply. So, yeah, slow down DF, don't you already have one crowdfunded game to develop?

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Pedro The Hutt said:
And now they are struggling to finish Broken Age despite having gained 800% of what they asked for. (My guess is a lot of the money actually went into their Amnesia Fortnight games that they are also developing right now)
This is not true. They have been very transparent with their backers about the development process and it's coming along nicely.

As for them having to prove themselves... they have made games before, you know. Psyconauts, anyone? Brütal Legend? Iron Brigade? Already forgotten?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Doom-Slayer said:
DTWolfwood said:

OT: Looks interesting though I probably wont back, not really my type of game and I lack the money right now.
Y do you say that? isn't this website of adults? I'm not the only one that shares that sentiment.
Why* is the word you're looking for.

And "Civilized", is the word your missing in your statement, as saying "Until then, f*ck off*" adds nothing to the conversation, uses uncalled for language and does nothing but lower others view of you.

Yes, many people share the sentiment, but they haven't cursed about it. Im sure many of them decided not even to post, because just being rude does nothing to further the topic.

Getting onto the topic myself, im glad they are starting this next kickstarter. Having payed workers sitting around, soaking up money doing nothing is bad for the company, and even worse for their games. They ran into their roadblock on the last game because they put too much money down too quickly, which is easy to do, but still a mistake. The fastest way to fix this is to start working on another game while you're writing and voice acting team is finishing the first (as from a recent article published by gameinformer on the subject, im guessing the game's visual elements, and engine are nearly complete, with just the audio and overall polish remaining).

I do think they need to take a step back, and assess how much time and effort is going to be needed for this IP (as 725k isnt all that much unless they intend for it to be a smaller, text based game using mostly its random generation for filler). Here's to hoping they deliver both products as well as we are hoping they will.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
kouriichi said:
DTWolfwood said:
Doom-Slayer said:
DTWolfwood said:

Why* is the word you're looking for.

And "Civilized", is the word your missing in your statement, as saying "Until then, f*ck off*" adds nothing to the conversation, uses uncalled for language and does nothing but lower others view of you.

Yes, many people share the sentiment, but they haven't cursed about it. Im sure many of them decided not even to post, because just being rude does nothing to further the topic.

Getting onto the topic myself, im glad they are starting this next kickstarter. Having payed workers sitting around, soaking up money doing nothing is bad for the company, and even worse for their games. They ran into their roadblock on the last game because they put too much money down too quickly, which is easy to do, but still a mistake. The fastest way to fix this is to start working on another game while you're writing and voice acting team is finishing the first (as from a recent article published by gameinformer on the subject, im guessing the game's visual elements, and engine are nearly complete, with just the audio and overall polish remaining).

I do think they need to take a step back, and assess how much time and effort is going to be needed for this IP (as 725k isnt all that much unless they intend for it to be a smaller, text based game using mostly its random generation for filler). Here's to hoping they deliver both products as well as we are hoping they will.
Internet is internet mister high and mighty. Some of us don't care to be "Civilized" when expressing a sentiment. Foul language gets that across in text quickly and clearly. Not everything needs to be an addition to the "conversation."

Look give them money if you want. I'll keep my money till i see a return on my initial "investment."

txting shorthand I use it, u don't, great. I don't care to be corrected for my laziness sir

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Starker said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
And now they are struggling to finish Broken Age despite having gained 800% of what they asked for. (My guess is a lot of the money actually went into their Amnesia Fortnight games that they are also developing right now)
This is not true. They have been very transparent with their backers about the development process and it's coming along nicely.

As for them having to prove themselves... they have made games before, you know. Psyconauts, anyone? Brütal Legend? Iron Brigade? Already forgotten?
Well, would be nice if they were open with the rest of the world, and it doesn't take away they've gone horribly over budget with the game (again, which is already eight times more than they were originally planning) and are still seeking ways to actually finish it.

And I mostly remember Brütal Legend for falling flat as it became crippled by feature creep, not to mention having a painfully predictable plot (especially if you know your Shakespeare). And most importantly, they are now trying to make a Turn Based Strategy game, they already proved they can't do real time strategy well in Brütal Legend, and they've even less to prove of being able to handle TBS as they never made such a game before. So no, I'm terribly sorry but I find myself in no position to feel confident enough in Double Fine to throw my money at this particular project. They aren't exactly a dev with a Midas touch no matter how much some fans like to delude themselves into believing that's the case.

If you want to support this project, all the more power to you, I know every Kickstarter you support is a gamble but here I feel there is very little to guarantee me that the final product will actually be something that I'll enjoy playing.

Starker

Mar 17, 2011
Pedro The Hutt said:
Well, would be nice if they were open with the rest of the world, and it doesn't take away they've gone horribly over budget with the game (again, which is already eight times more than they were originally planning) and are still seeking ways to actually finish it.
Are you really blaming them for getting more money than they asked for? Or that they want to make their flagship product as good as possible? DFA is coming along fine. Cutting back scope and seeking more funding was exactly what they should have done.

Pedro The Hutt said:
And I mostly remember Brütal Legend for falling flat as it became crippled by feature creep, not to mention having a painfully predictable plot (especially if you know your Shakespeare). And most importantly, they are now trying to make a Turn Based Strategy game, they already proved they can't do real time strategy well in Brütal Legend, and they've even less to prove of being able to handle TBS as they never made such a game before. So no, I'm terribly sorry but I find myself in no position to feel confident enough in Double Fine to throw my money at this particular project. They aren't exactly a dev with a Midas touch no matter how much some fans like to delude themselves into believing that's the case.
Maybe not every game that they have made is to your liking, but they have produced some amazing stuff, they clearly have the talent, and they have shown that they can get things done. Just look at Black Lake -- it was just a prototype, yet it was nothing short of amazing, and it was done in only two weeks. You can't expect that every thing someone produces will be an unparalleled masterpiece, but you should bank on people who are capable of producing them.

Pedro The Hutt said:
If you want to support this project, all the more power to you, I know every Kickstarter you support is a gamble but here I feel there is very little to guarantee me that the final product will actually be something that I'll enjoy playing.
Isn't the whole point of Kickstarter to support the projects that you would want to see completed? Yes, I'm taking a risk, but it is not a blind gamble. Thanks to the documentary I have seen what they are capable of first hand, and I have already gotten several times more value out of DFA than I donated. And that's even before the game is out. It's a safe bet from where I'm standing.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
There are a lot of interesting things going on around this Kickstarter on the Double Fine forums. Predictably, people were right off the bat going on about "so, what about same sex couples in this game that have breeding more troops as a major mechanic?" And what followed that was a stream of really creative ideas on how to build in same-sex couplings, surrogate breeding and other things. Really looking like this is going to be more than your average RTS.