Double Fine Turns To Kickstarter To Fund Massive Chalice

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Double Fine Turns To Kickstarter To Fund Massive Chalice

Double Fine has launched a new Kickstarter project. This time the studio needs your help funding a turn-based strategy title dubbed Massive Chalice.

This morning a new fundraising effort appeared on Kickstarter with the express purpose of backing a new strategy game from Double Fine. Dubbed Massive Chalice, the title is described as "a tactical strategy PC game on an epic fantasy timeline from the creators of Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, and Iron Brigade."

More specifically, the Kickstarter project page describes gameplay in Massive Chalice thusly:

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Permadeath is inevitable: your heroes will grow, age, and eventually die. You'll have to choose between keeping your favorite heroes on the battlefield or retiring them from combat to foster a new generation of warriors.

Despite only having launched a few hours ago, the Kickstarter is already pulling in huge piles of cash. Double Fine hopes to raise $725,000 by June 27, and the effort is well on its way, having already attracted $73,895 at the time of this article's publication.

It should come as little surprise to see Double Fine once again turn to Kickstarter to generate cash for its latest project. You may recall that the firm used a similar strategy to fund Double Fine Adventure, a game that broke Kickstarter records by raising $3.3 million on the crowdfunding site (and arguably kicked off the current popularity of Kickstarter among game developers).

If you're interested in tossing some money at Double Fine or simply want to see the few pieces of extant concept art created for Massive Chalice so far, you should pay a visit to the game's Kickstarter page. Otherwise, expect this project to earn its cash and then some in pretty short order. Actually, the question now isn't whether or not Massive Chalice will be able to attract $725,000, but instead how much money beyond that goal the game will inevitably pull in.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fines-massive-chalice]

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I'm beginning to become more and more dubious about DF's continued abuse use of Kickstarter.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
God damn it. I just got these news as a backer and sadly I think this sounds a lot more interesting than Broken Age (and I am excited about Broken Age, I did back it). My only problem is that they want my money at this time of the year... I'm always poor in June so I can't back this project.

Oh, well, I hope I can buy it when it's released at least.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Credossuck said:
Shouldn't they, like, deliver on the first games first? Because, like, err... you know... trust and stuff.
Game development is not such a linear progression of the entire team working until completion. As a game moves through cycles and gets closer to release certain teams become more or less involved in production, less artists more programmers and such. So often the teams that are only needed more in early production are already moving on to the next project in order to maximize efficiency, and you know not fire everyone between releases. This is typically what happens at most studious, but we are usually not exposed to games this early in development.

crackfool

Mar 13, 2010
Slycne said:
Credossuck said:
Shouldn't they, like, deliver on the first games first? Because, like, err... you know... trust and stuff.
Game development is not such a linear progression of the entire team working until completion. As a game moves through cycles and gets closer to release certain teams become more or less involved in production, less artists more programmers and such. So often the teams that are only needed more in early production are already moving on to the next project in order to maximize efficiency, and you know not fire everyone between releases. This is typically what happens at most studious, but we are usually not exposed to games this early in development.
Also, this is a different team working on this game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
fantasy x-com
that what this reads like, right?
*looks at date* well i will support this on monday.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Credossuck said:
Trust in what? That they are actually developing a game and not running a scam? I think that's already pretty obvious just from the fact that an established studio couldn't afford all the class action lawsuits resulting from outright breaking contract with their backers.

Or trust that Broken Age will actually be good? That would be more relevnt if they would be newbies with no track record or oldtimers who haven't made anything since the 90's. It would be worrying if, say, Banner Saga's Stoic would collect more money before finishing even their first game, based on promises alone, but we already know that Double Fine is a solid studio with reasonably consistent track record.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Fantasy X-com strategy? Sounds up my street. Roll on pay day so I can give you more money Double Fine.

...and hope this second kickstarter campaign won't turn out to be a poisoned chalice :p

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I'm going light on Kickstarters now but this has my attention. It's great that they're also doing a documentary about this one, the documentary on Broken Age (Double Fine Adventure) already made my pledge worth it.

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
BACKED!

Of all the kickstarters, I trust that Doublefine will produce something amazing - Or die trying.
I love access to the 2PP documentary too.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Crusader Kings, X-Com, Might & Magic, and Fire Emblem's orgy baby as a PC game by Double Fine? Alright, gotta find that "black market" everyone talks about so that I can sell a kidney...

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
tautologico said:
I'm going light on Kickstarters now but this has my attention. It's great that they're also doing a documentary about this one, the documentary on Broken Age (Double Fine Adventure) already made my pledge worth it.
I'm so with you there. Even if it turns out I don't like Broken Age, I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth with the documentary.

Soon as I get paid I'll be backing this bad boy. :)

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Wow... I'll probably eventually get around to backing this, but I will absolutely HATE myself after. Why? Because I despise the idea of backing things that don't have a significant amount of work already done, or perhaps even something as simple as a proof of concept. This project looks like so far it barely has concept art.

If you need me I'll be in the bathtub, crying into a bucket of cookie dough...

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
That actually looks very interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

Oh and thanks for totally spoiling Broken Age in that kickstarter video, geez.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Nghtgnt said:
Wow... I'll probably eventually get around to backing this, but I will absolutely HATE myself after. Why? Because I despise the idea of backing things that don't have a significant amount of work already done, or perhaps even something as simple as a proof of concept. This project looks like so far it barely has concept art.

If you need me I'll be in the bathtub, crying into a bucket of cookie dough...
I wish I had a bucket of cookie dough to cry into.