Double Fine's Brutal Legend Receiving IndieBox Re-Release

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Double Fine's Brutal Legend Receiving IndieBox Re-Release

IndieBox and Double Fine have teamed up to release a special fifth anniversary limited edition of Brutal Legend.

Some games should be awesome just based on their concept alone. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1044-Brutal-Legend>Brutal Legend was one such title. Following the adventures of "the world's best roadie," it transported players to a fantasy land inspired by the imagery and themes of heavy metal music. Sadly, the game met with some mixed reviews thanks to its not always perfect coupling of action and real-time strategy gameplay. Nonetheless, it developed a solid core of fans who loved its setting and appreciated the hard work that Tim Schafer and Double Fine Productions put into making it feel authentic to its source material. Those fans, in turn, might want to be interested to learn that the game is getting a new limited edition release courtesy of the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/11819-Bring-Back-the-Box-What-We-Have-Lost-With-Digital-Distribution>fine folks at IndieBox.

The limited edition will represent several firsts for IndieBox. For one, it will represent the first time the company has revealed a game prior to shipping it to its subscribers. Likewise, this will also be the first game it's worked with that's already received attention from a major publisher. Despite this, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/indiebox>IndieBox president James Morgan feels that Brutal Legend is a perfect candidate for the physical box treatment that's the company's specialty.

"We aim to release PC games that are an experience to open, and give another layer of engagement beyond the digital download," he said, speaking to The Escapist. "There was also never a physical box of the Mac and Linux [Brutal Legend] ports, and we are very excited to be able to provide that for gamers."

Morgan went on to confirm that IndieBox has no plans "to re-release a game that has ever had a physical version." He clarified that this doesn't "mean we are not open to it" but that it has no current plans to do so. He likewise affirmed that the company's willingness to work with Double Fine stemmed somewhat from the "massive support" the studio has offered to the indie gaming community.

Sadly, IndieBox declined to share many details about what special goodies its Brutal Legend re-release will contain. Breaking from the company's usual standard of putting the game on a unique USB cartridge, IndieBox did confirm that it will be shipping Brutal Legend on a DVD due to its size. Outside of that, if previous products from the company are any indicator we can at least expect some stickers, posters and other nifty pieces of swag. Gamers interested in snagging a Brutal Legend indie box of their own have until October 22nd to subscribe to official website.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Huh, I might actually buy this. I really loved the game, and would like some memorabilia of it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, I'm interested in this. I love Brutal Legend, so a nice re-release with some extra goodies is something I'd be willing to spend some money on.

TheIndieBox

May 22, 2014
Awesome article! Thanks for the post! If anyone has any questions about the boxes, the game, or the company, we'll be happy to answer them.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
I don't know...I'm not exactly what you could call impressed with the past boxes.

On the other hand, brutal legend. Hrmm..

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Nope. Not til Double Fine makes up for all of the incomplete new titles.
shhhhhh they don't want you notice, pay attention to the shiny new box...something that PC gamers don't typically value on the whole.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
I really would buy this if there was a PS3/360 release with it, because I really want another copy of Brutal Legend, on top of the Steam copy I have now. Does anyone know if the USB Cartridge might be able to work on a PS3?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
shogunblade said:
I really would buy this if there was a PS3/360 release with it, because I really want another copy of Brutal Legend, on top of the Steam copy I have now. Does anyone know if the USB Cartridge might be able to work on a PS3?
I don't see how it could, the PS3 files have to be packaged in a very specific format, and I don't think switching from one to the other would be a simple endeavor as you would have to recompile the entire game.

Then, of course, there's the hurdle of the completely different chip architectures... really you could just buy the PS3 in disc form.

Grim Sterling

Dec 27, 2013
just an fyi they polled us when they announced this (i have a subscript with them) and this release is not doing a USB cartridge but an actual dvd due to the size of the game.

pasted from the email:

Hi there IndieBoxers!

This month, we are bringing you a huge game, and we don?t mean that it is just awesome. It is also a HUGE file. After much data wrangling, we had to (for one month) make a change to our game delivery system. In your box this month, you will get a DVD with the DRM free game, instead of a cartridge.

This DVD can only fit one copy of the game. You will need to let us know what copy you would like. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR MAC AND LINUX USERS.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Grim Sterling said:
just an fyi they polled us when they announced this (i have a subscript with them) and this release is not doing a USB cartridge but an actual dvd due to the size of the game.

pasted from the email:

Hi there IndieBoxers!

This month, we are bringing you a huge game, and we don?t mean that it is just awesome. It is also a HUGE file. After much data wrangling, we had to (for one month) make a change to our game delivery system. In your box this month, you will get a DVD with the DRM free game, instead of a cartridge.

This DVD can only fit one copy of the game. You will need to let us know what copy you would like. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR MAC AND LINUX USERS.
Updated to reflect this.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Brutal Legend was a cool game, but I think it would have done better if they had been more honest about what they were actually making. I liked it just fine once I got used to it, but I'll be honest in saying that I was disappointed about playing the RTS battles which became a huge focus when I thought the focus was going to be a lot more like a "Grand Theft Auto" game... you know an entirely heavy metal themed open world like the old "Kidd Video". While the idea of our hero leading armies and such was cool, I think the game would have benefitted from more personal focus, and perhaps made the dueling armies some kind of mini-game thing.

That said it was a very good game, I just understand why it wasn't a smash success. To be honest, looking at what happened with that, as well as looking at a lot of Tim's other problems, I begin to have a clearer understanding of why he hasn't landed the smash successes people keep expecting of him. He goes off in weird directions which don't always work, seems to be unable to stay within his initial budget and scope (which we've seen big time on Kickstarter) and does not seem to learn from his previous mistakes very well.

I've kind of thought it might be interesting to see what would happen if Tim decided to say look at something like "Brutal Legend" and then do a sequel, or remake, instead creating the game he kind of lead everyone to believe that one was going to be, rather than running around from one off kilter project to another, leaving behind a lot of very interesting, but imperfect, and over budget, stuff that you can fall in love with and see tons of unrealized potential with.

Ragnar47183

Mar 5, 2014
A interesting idea but looking at their previous boxes it would seem you are up for pins, stickers, and temporary tattoos. Cant say that im throwing my money at the screen.

I would rather pay a bit more and get some stuff that would actually be worth it. I.E. art books, statues, anything thats not stickers and pins.

Id also be more willing if they would tell you what games they are doing so you wouldnt buy it beforehand. Dont really want 2 copies of a game.

I actually think it might even be better if they didnt include the game in the box and just put more stuff in it as there isnt anything stopping you from just buying the game normally.