Dr Who Christmas Special 2013

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Ninjamedic said:
albino boo said:
Yeah it was but the plot worked because the DR isn't popular with the Timelords.
But he had been trusted by them when needed (The Three Doctors, Genesis of The Daleks) and on the former example he was rewarded by them for his actions.

As far as the Timelords are concerned the Dr is the lunatic you send for when you have got nothing to lose.
And Galifrey wasn't completely screwed in Day of The Doctor?
The Dr only ever has been given back something the Time lords have already taken away, not much of reward. The timelords, by past habits, would view giving the Dr a new set of regenerations like giving a lunatic some sharp objects. Saying that they did give the Master a whole new set of regenerations.

Encurtidos

May 1, 2011
Objectable said:
Sorry. Too busy crying to give an opinion.

Same..I'm going to miss Matt Smith so much!! D:

On a side note, does anyone else not really like Clara? I mean, she is smart and everything, but I am kind of left with a feeling that the chemistry between her and the Doctor don't mash. Perhaps it'll be more enjoyable with Peter's version of the Doctor.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well that's the second time today the end of something I watched has disappointment me. Seriously, I wanted to see more than ten seconds of the new Doctor.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Loved it, and I had limited issues with it. The ending was great, and as per usual for Doctor Who they showed limited of the incoming Doctor (seriously, if you expected more then about a minute I laugh in your face at your naivety). It was great, and it gave closure. It also explains what exactly the creatures in the Silence were, which I was most intrigued about. For those that weren't paying attention, they were genetically engineered priests that make you forget what you told them. I also liked the borderline 4th wall break in which Smith stares at the camera and says "I'll never forget when The Doctor was me." Really, a great episode. Can't wait for the next season to see what Capaldi's Doctor brings to the playing field.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
I enjoyed the episode. Not the greatest episode ever done, but it was good. A long good-bye is probably the best way to describe the episode. My only issue was the hope that I was expecting to carry over from the Day of the Doctor, was not quite there.
I was interested in how they were going to explain the next Doctor and I'm pretty satisfied with their explanation that his regeneration cycle has been reset. It fits within the mythos of the Doctor, since the Master has gone to bizarre and extreme lengths to keep on living.
So I say good-bye Matt, I enjoyed your run as the Doctor. And good-bye Handles.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I enjoyed the episode. Throwing the crack back in as a link between our universe and Gallifrey was brilliant and I get it that even if something that catastrophic heals, there will be scars. Look at our own Chicxulub - a magnetic imprint of the crater still exists today, and that was 65 million years ago. Placing Gallifrey on the other side of the scar just makes an odd kind of sense. And how else was the Doctor going to get a new set of regenerations? The whole "but there were 12 doctors over the planet" argument can be easily explained away because with all of them together, it makes memory of those events very tenuous. Just the events from 3 of them together were mostly forgotten and Hurt's Doctor would go on thinking he blew up his planet, so no paradox. The small bit of irony in this episode is that Matt's Doctor, like Hurt's - the one he tried to forget, also grew old fighting a war, only he was protecting a small town, not one entire planet. My only hope is that the crack won't be snuck into a bunch of episodes again. It was a great plotpoint of Matt's first run but retreading old territory and all that.

In the end, this regeneration sequence was not bad, and it being the start of a new set, it was cool seeing that energy used as a weapon. Now I'm going to invoke the R word, so all disclaimers apply. Anyway, River used her regeneration the same way, albeit on a smaller scale, so why not a full-blooded time lord? The call backs to Matt's first episode were nice, and him removing the bowtie was a nice touch. There was a eulogy, a goodbye, please don't go, then KIDNEYS! Plus the regeneration didn't take 30 minutes! It was long enough to say goodbye without dragging out, and we got to see Amy one last time.

And did anyone else get an odd "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" vibe off the Doctor at about the middle? I half-expected him to grab an axe!

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
albino boo said:
Ninjamedic said:
albino boo said:
Especially since the Time lords and the Dr have rarely been on the best terms.
I'm willing to bet saving your home planet from total destruction might net you a favor or two.
The Dr has done that at least twice and they still put him on trial.
Well he saved the Time Lords, this time, from:

a) The Daleks,

b) Whatever other Horrors competed in the Time War,

c) The Time Lords themselves and finally,

d) The Doctor.

He was willing to burn a whole Galaxy to save the universe, but in his retrospective thoughts, as shown in DoTD, he didn't want to. So instead he saved them from all the carnage the war had caused. Yes, there will still be scars on the Planet and the Universe in general, but it is largely fine now. And maybe, they need him for more assistance. This is all pure speculation, so them giving him a new set might be out of spite instead of kindness. We don't know, and I doubt we'll find out until next season, if not AFTER next season. Only time will tell.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I thought that the use of the Truth Field was a really nice way to let the show finally put some questions to rest without it being out of context. We've finally got the word on how many regenerations the Doctor has gone through, and now he's gotten his limit reset. I also like how the reset might have had some unforseen consequences. "Do you know how to fly this thing!?"

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
Plot-wise this could have worked A LOT better if these threads were spread out during season 7, given the fact that in terms of the Silence-Plot NOTHING was accomplished or progressed much. Hence the hastily tied up plot threads that feel REAL damn sloppy as a whole. Really, season 7 had 3 things overall in terms of long-term impact; Amy/Rory leaving, Clara entering, and the War Doctor revealed. That's It. Given what we know now, there was really no reason why the explanation of the season 5 Tardis explosion couldn't have been given to us back in season 6. Its like Moffat was taking a page from JJ Abrams 'mystery box' BS =p

That having been said...sloppy plot aside this was a well done send-off to Matt Smith. The regeneration reset was inevitable and there is precedent for it (Master/ Deadly Assassin). Matt's final scene was still very well done and he went out with far more dignity and grace than what Tennant should have gotten for his.

Although having about 30 second of Capaldi's Doctor was total BS. Matt got way more screen time right after Tennant's regeneration. And from what i heard season 8 wont start still fucking AUGUST so.....goddammit.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Toxinthegreat said:
Well he saved the Time Lords, this time, from:

a) The Daleks,

b) Whatever other Horrors competed in the Time War,

c) The Time Lords themselves and finally,

d) The Doctor.

He was willing to burn a whole Galaxy to save the universe, but in his retrospective thoughts, as shown in DoTD, he didn't want to. So instead he saved them from all the carnage the war had caused. Yes, there will still be scars on the Planet and the Universe in general, but it is largely fine now. And maybe, they need him for more assistance. This is all pure speculation, so them giving him a new set might be out of spite instead of kindness. We don't know, and I doubt we'll find out until next season, if not AFTER next season. Only time will tell.
It point you in this direction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Doctors_(Doctor_Who)

Another situation where Gallifrey was under siege by renegade timelord from the antimatter universe and all he got was his tardis back that they have taken away from him.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Oh man I totally forgot in my first rant about how Stephen Moffat literally only knows how to write one type of female character. I do not understand what his problem his, surely someone's pointed out that River Song, Queen Elizabeth, the Church Lady from here, Irene Addler and Clara are all the same person and he should change that? There are more people in the universe than quirky, flirty, sexually aggressive women. I can't remember if the church lady has shown up before (because this episodes approach to plot building was 'here is a picture of something Moffat wrote before, now we're done with that plot element...") but I pretty much facepalmed when I realised she was going to be exactly the same all over again

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
T3nno said:
im just happy smith is gone, maybe the show will be enjoyable again
And probably separate the ones who "loves Doctor who" with the ones who "loves Matt Smith and David Tenant".

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I can't help but feel this would've had a lot more impact with Amy rather than Clara. She's been around so little time and has so little chemistry with Matt Smith that it's completely impossible to feel anything about her.

GeekFury

Aug 20, 2009
What annoyed me the most was the dues ex machina of the Time Lord tearing open the reality split to go 'Here you go bro, have a new set of regenerations on us', specially after the saccharin speech from Clara. This whole love conquers all guff is starting to grate on my very last nerve for the show. I've loved Doctor Who since before the relaunch and it's never come down to 'Come on kids, clap your hands if you believe in the Doctor!'

But getting back to the episode in hand they pretty much did what I thought the entire next season would be, I thought it'd be Doctor has normal shenanigans gets killed regenerates, with some little hint that Gallifrey is out there and can be saved and that would be the emphasis on the next series, where he'd save the Time Lords and they'd go 'Well last life eh? Here have a new lot!' but now they just condensed it into episode and hand waved the the entire new lot of lives as they always seem to do in the relaunched series.

In short.

It stinks!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
GeekFury said:
What annoyed me the most was the dues ex machina of the Time Lord tearing open the reality split to go 'Here you go bro, have a new set of regenerations on us', specially after the saccharin speech from Clara. This whole love conquers all guff is starting to grate on my very last nerve for the show. I've loved Doctor Who since before the relaunch and it's never come down to 'Come on kids, clap your hands if you believe in the Doctor!'

But getting back to the episode in hand they pretty much did what I thought the entire next season would be, I thought it'd be Doctor has normal shenanigans gets killed regenerates, with some little hint that Gallifrey is out there and can be saved and that would be the emphasis on the next series, where he'd save the Time Lords and they'd go 'Well last life eh? Here have a new lot!' but now they just condensed it into episode and hand waved the the entire new lot of lives as they always seem to do in the relaunched series.

In short.

It stinks!
Did you miss last of the timelords?

captcha: time machine