Dragon Age 2 Release Date Already Set?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dragon Age 2 Release Date Already Set?

Something big related to Dragon Age is already planned for release early next year.

With Dragon Age: Awakening [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Awakening-Pc/dp/B003336KG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278969828&sr=1-1] less than a week from its March 16 release date, copies of the game have been distributed to retail outlets to prepare for its street date and to media so that its likely goodness can be reviewed. While those copies in retail stores cannot be opened for fear of the wrath of EA, media outlets are actually supposed to do so. According to 1up, the case for Dragon Age: Awakening includes a card that provides a hint towards something big related to the franchise coming in early 2011.

The card has an image of a bloody red dragon on it, and mysteriously only includes the writing "02.01.2011." Anyone can conclude that this is the release date of something very important related to Dragon Age.

Could it be Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age: Not Origins, or whatever BioWare decides to call the sequel to Dragon Age? It's possible, but no other information is included on the card to give any real hint. When you consider that BioWare has said that it would be supporting Dragon Age with DLC for one-and-a-half to two years [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90734-Dragon-Ages-Two-Year-DLC-Plan], that period could easily end in February of 2011, though it does seem somewhat early for a full-fledged sequel.

However, BioWare obviously had a clear plan with Dragon Age content, putting out DLC on the regular and an arguably early retail expansion pack with Awakening that will hit four months after the release of the original game, which was released in November 2009. If the mysterious release date found in Awakening has nothing to do with a sequel, it could indicate a second larger expansion, or... who knows? Either way, it'll probably look super hot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97905-Dragon-Age-2-Will-Look-Super-Hot].

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178311]

(Image via 1up)

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
No matter what it is. If its more expansion for that behemoth of a game, I'll be emptying my bank account yet again, I'm already on my fourth playthrough of the game and am so looking forward to awakening

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Awesome. That's about all I can say about this. Just, awesome.
Time to save some money.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I'm excited. Be it a sequel or another expansion, I want it. I've played through the main game about 9 times now, and I still love it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I can't wait... though I do hope it's a true sequel in the Mass Effect sense. I can understand how a direct continuation of DA:O would be a monumental task but even if the game is set much after DA:O I want (need?) to have at least reference to what I did in the first game. That's the one reason I'm really not sold on Awakenings; it's sounding like more of a stitched on sidestory with only Ogrhen returning and a story that somehow works just as well with a newcomer from Orlais as it will with your original Warden.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Awesome, can't wait! DLC is well and good, as are expansion packs (and I find the complaints about the "early" expansion pack to be groundless), but give me another 80 hour chunk of goodness like Dragon Age as soon as possible!

I think people fail to realise that sometimes too much content is as bad as too little (say MWF2), it can dilute the story and flow of the game, the Awakening expansion would of had to of been in planning before the release date of the main game, but if they had pushed it into the main game I think it would of weakened it, not that I'm not looking forward to the expansion with baited breath.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*is waiting for Jade Empire 2*

Hey, Bioware...CAN YOU DO THAT FIRST?!

No offense to Dragon Age...But I LOOOOOOOOOVE Jade Empire.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
This is good news. I mean, I haven't gotten around to beating Dragon Age: Origins, nor have I got the expansion yet, but I'm looking forward to the sequel. I really doubt that it will be set in stone, though.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
I do feel that this is a bit too early to be a full-fledged sequel and that it'll likely be another expansion. But if it is a sequel and it has the same length as the original, then I definitely won't be complaining. Got four playthroughs of the first and I'll probably go through Awakening at least twice.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Now that is epic. I am looking forward to seeing what it will be =D

Hopefully be another game/major expansion.

I always wanted to see what Orlais looked like

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
it would be hilarious if the date meant nothing. And nerds around the world spent the next year trying to crack the code on one sheet of paper.

Well looks like I need to beat the first game. I really hope they fix the fighting.

but really how much can they fix in a year?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I kind of hope they open up the lore a little more and spice things up with a new class or two.

axle 19

Bearer of the Necronomicon
Aug 2, 2008
Fantastic, the first one's story made me keep playing. Hopefully this one will be better than the first and I hope they add the save system from mass effect 2.

Fucking playing for two hours only to die and lose it.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
A possible release date already? Wow, I was expecting we'd have to wait two years at least.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
If they're making a two, they had better streamline the combat a bit more and make the class development a bit less... crap.

To be blunt, the two elements that occured the most in the game were pretty stale.

So... to summarize:

Make combat feel a bit better and make the class development a bit... better.