Dragon Age 2 what makes you the most angry?

Thamux

Feb 2, 2010
I enjoyed DA2 alot since its release, but what does ticks me off is the recycle of old enviroments, its what stopped from completing more than one playthrough

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
All the people complaining about the game. Sure I understand that the OP doesn't hate the game, but the reception it had when it was first released just pissed me off to no end.

But to be on topic, I hated the waves of enemies, the reused levels and the redesigned Darkspawn. Other than that I loved the new changes, like a voiced character, dialogue wheel, the story, the new art design, the "new" combat. But the waves of enemies and reused levels just got repetitive and the new Darkspawn look retarded (especially the Ogres).

gyro2death said:
The problem I had with it is that Anders doesn't even seem remotely homo, Fenris look homo but does not act like it, nor does Merrill or Isabella. It feels artificially forced, compared to the elven assassin from DA:O who was possibly the most likeable homosexual character in a game to date.
You are kidding about the Anders part, right? Anders had a cat (more specifically, a kitten) named Ser Pounce-A-Lot. Of all the romance-possible characters, him and Isabela were the only ones to hit on me. Isabela is very, very, very, very slutty and frequently mentions her past as having both male and female lovers. In fact, in Dragon Age 1 she had a hot three-way with my female warden and Leliana! Sure I can understand how forced it may seem considering every romance partner is technically bisexual in order to offer a greater freedom of choice for players, but at least Isabela and Anders fit the part. Fenris is too emo to care about another person so his romance is sort of felt forced no matter what and Merrill is just too shy for me to think about as a romance partner, but at the same time it makes sense for her to be bisexual because she is too shy to say anything to anyone.

Gennadios said:
1) Nither of the two factions were reasonable, likeable, and in the end, even had any believable motivations. I just felt dirty having to choose between them.

Would have preferred a "F*** you all, I'm moving back to Ferelden" option.

4) Game resorts to way too many "Bwaaaaaaaaaa Kill!" moments just drag out the story. You enter a warehouse, everyone goes balls and attacks you. The one survivor willing to talk tells you you're actually on the same side, sends you to a remote cave where you kill everyone who'se side you're on again and maybe convice one or two survivors that you should probably work together.

If this were a real f****** game the player would have been able to convince them with the initial dialog in the warehouse.
I agree completely with #4, but with #1 there was a specific reason for that. They wanted the game to be devoid of "Black and White" choices where there is a clear good and clear bad choice. They wanted both choices to be good and bad in order to make the choice that much harder. Sure, having both sides really corrupt made it hard to feel sympathy for anyone, but that was the point. The Templars were extremely brutal and treated the slaves worse than the dirt their cages sat on, but the Mages turning to Blood Magic at every turn (and a certain spoiler at the end of the game) made the Templar's fears justified and the Mages not too easy to sympathize with. It really just comes down to what you feel is the "lesser of two evils" but I would have preferred to just go back to Lothering and rebuild after the first year. At least after doing the expedition and getting enough money I would have went back to Ferelden and bought a mansion there instead.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Magicman10893 said:

Gennadios said:
1) Nither of the two factions were reasonable, likeable, and in the end, even had any believable motivations. I just felt dirty having to choose between them.
... with #1 there was a specific reason for that. They wanted the game to be devoid of "Black and White" choices where there is a clear good and clear bad choice. They wanted both choices to be good and bad in order to make the choice that much harder. Sure, having both sides really corrupt made it hard to feel sympathy for anyone, but that was the point. The Templars were extremely brutal and treated the slaves worse than the dirt their cages sat on, but the Mages turning to Blood Magic at every turn (and a certain spoiler at the end of the game) made the Templar's fears justified and the Mages not too easy to sympathize with. It really just comes down to what you feel is the "lesser of two evils" but I would have preferred to just go back to Lothering and rebuild after the first year. At least after doing the expedition and getting enough money I would have went back to Ferelden and bought a mansion there instead.
I understood the motivation, kind of, but the execution was really horrible

You mentioned the endgame spoiler, so you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

You and your party are holding off wave after wave of enemy. Depending on the difficulty you're either cutting through them or kind of having problems but holding your own. The danger is limited as the groups you're fighting are only a single class, not very varied, and relatively easy to debuff. You got this, everything's chill.

Out of nowhere, spoiler related character screams "Bwaaaaaaaaa! This is Hopeless!!!!!1one" What happens next? Doors close, you're trapped with maybe half the number of enemies you were fighting before (so much for a massive threat), and your own ally turns against you because there's nothing in the vicinity that really needs killing.

No dialogue option, no possibility of talking anyone down, nothing, just a barely believable breakdown from a character that seemed kind of sane and that's why you sided with them in the first place.

Well, that sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Darth IB said:
What makes me the most angry is how people constantly complain about it.
I'm half-way through my second playthrough now and I think it might be my new favourite game.
Look am not sure how long you've been gaming, i've been gaming since i was 3. It takes more then me beating a game twice for me to say i have a new best game of all time.

Am not sure how mich of a gamer you are but to most gamers thats a big title. am not hating but i think your exagerating a little. Its a great game but before you start saying top on my list, play through it another 10 times to be sure.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Honestly, it was far from perfect. It was even disappointing compared to most of Bioware's games. The only thing about it that has me raging though is the stupid, stuck-up Baldur's Gate fanboys crying like Bioware killed their mama.

Really. That's it.

The recycled environments and the way your actions really had very little effect on anything in the end were probably the two things most preventing it from being great, but I couldn't honestly even say those were frustrating, let alone rage inducing. They were really just mildly annoying.

I played Baldur's Gate when it first came out. It's not that great. In fact, I'd say even the mild disappointment that is Dragon Age 2 is better. The complaints about Dragon Age 2 are almost all valid, but they're also almost all blown waaaaaay out of proportion.

That is what has me raging right now.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
Legion IV said:
Darth IB said:
I'm half-way through my second playthrough now and I think it might be my new favourite game.
Look am not sure how long you've been gaming, i've been gaming since i was 3. It takes more then me beating a game twice for me to say i have a new best game of all time.

Am not sure how mich of a gamer you are but to most gamers thats a big title. am not hating but i think your exagerating a little. Its a great game but before you start saying top on my list, play through it another 10 times to be sure.
To me, there isn't a minimum required number of playthroughs before I can call a game favourite. In fact, I was rather sure it was my new favourite already during, and certainly directly after, my first playthrough.
I agree that it's not a title to be thrown around lightly, but I honestly like this game so much that it makes no sense for me to deny it.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Nothing makes me "angry", but so far (early in Act 2), the main problem I have is the lack of environmental variety, which I've heard stays bad throughout most of the game.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
At first I enjoyed it enough, to get two playthroughs in, but now the thought of playing it another time makes me cringe. Didn't feel that way with Origins, that's for sure.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
If you expected DA2 to be just like Origins only with shinier graphics, then yes, you're probably not happy with it. I think a lot of people wanted the Warden back, with the same companions, and are a bit annoyed that they don't feature apart from a few cameos. And yes, things like the dialogue wheel, equipment management and battle style have changed. But if you take it as a game in its own right - set in the same world, but someone elses' story this time - then it's an enjoyable 40+ hours of gaming, right there.

Is it perfect? No. There's niggles, certainly. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the constant waves of enemies (sometimes yes, but give me a break here), and I would like to have more variety in the environments, rather than the same dungeons repeated verbatim. But to hate it for these things, or because they had the sheer audacity to put in a dialogue wheel instead of a list seems a little extreme...

Personally, I'm not that bothered about the Mages turning no matter what you do. Because that's life; sometimes that's just what happens. In spite of your best efforts, everything goes to hell in a handbasket. I can deal with that.

Hopefully, the next game in the series will be able to learn from both the improvements and mistakes DA2 made.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Legion said:
-Choices feeling inconsequential (especially near the end).
-Enemies re-spawning, especially in areas where it doesn't make any sense.
-Lack of conversation options with party members outside of missions.
-Re-used maps.

Apart from those I find the game to be excellent; some areas it is weaker than Origins, but in others it is much, much stronger.

Darth IB said:
Lusty said:
All the threads slagging off Dragon Age 2 are starting to make me angry.
Best of the 3 said:
ALl the people angry at Dragon Age 2 is pissing me off.
True enough, the game seems to have been selected for a hate campaign, it's odd really.
Yes, imagine that, a wide displeasure at changes made to one of the definitive rpgs of the last decade.
How could that ever have been possible?

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
The fact that I'm playing as Hawke. Give me back my DA1 character. I Nerd Rage about this every time I play DA2. Hawke is fine, but I had just spent 40 hours in DA1 molding my character into badass omega supreme and then Bioware just takes that Character away and hands me a blank slate! Jeez thanks, assholes.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
All the whining about it is the most annoying thing about Dragon Age II.

The only real issue I have with the game itself is the blatant recyling of the dungeons. I still thought it was a really good game though and throughly enjoyed it.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
Recycled dungeons, lack of detachable camera and the free targetting that come with it (In Origins you could target the ground without the mouse auto-snapping to the person a few millimeters away)
I did love the fem!hawk's VA though. Dialogue wheel works well enough, especially with the tone indicator but I just wish they would give us an option to turn off the paraphrasing and just give us a line of text where we can see what the character is going to say, although I suppose it would put a limit on how much they could say at any one point.
The game just felt rushed, I really wish they'd spent more time on it.
And also more companion dialogue, seriously there was way more in DA:O (not talking about banter, banter was good in this)
Although with the amount of hate the game receives you would think that it would have a lower metacritic score. However I think it is the lowest scoring Bioware game to date so eh.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Trolldor said:
Yes, imagine that, a wide displeasure at changes made to one of the definitive rpgs of the last decade.
How could that ever have been possible?
Because people are never happy.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
Anders.

"HAY GUISE, MAGES R GUD, LET'S-"

"-BLOW UP THE ENTIRE CHANTRY, AND KILL THE GRAND CLERIC TO PROVE IT!"
Massive game spoiler.

Man, that guy is an idiot.