Dragon Age 2 what makes you the most angry?

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
I really love every team member except for Carver, i have younger siblings but those are 10 times less annoying in their lifetime then carver is in 5 minutes(even prefer Fenris ranting over carver). Luckily you only get Carver when you play mage class (to bad it is my last (third) playthrough.

Though I bet Fenris will be pissed since the majority of the game will be teamed like:
Me mage , Merrill , Fenris and Varric.

Rottweiler

Jan 20, 2008
Maybe, but I'm a little irritated that courteous, reasonable posters who have reasonable issues with Dragon Age 2 are getting shrugged off with 'meh hater' but "Rawr DA 2 is so cool it will cure Cancer" posts trip merrily along unquestioned.

Yes, we are getting the usual love/hate posts, but I think a lot of people are voicing reasonable positions of like/dislike.

And yes, I had to reload the game to stop my seemingly inevitable love match with Anders. I mean, what the hell. I'm by no means homophobic, but I'm also not homosexual. Therefore, I intended to pursue a heterosexual romance in the game. Unfortunately (as many critics and webcomics are pointing out) the game designers seem to have the idea that you either ignore/abuse Anders or marry him, there's no middle ground. Merely agreeing with Ander's viewpoint is taken as romantic advances, but this doesn't happen with any other character (indeed I had to work until about Act 2.75 to get anywhere with Merill.)

Eternimus

Aug 19, 2010
Things I dislike:
Reusing levels. I know they were in a short dev cycle, but damn.
Emptiness of Kirkwall. They spent too much time saying how full it was. They should have just said "we don't want you, or any of your kind here."
Abrupt story end. But in that case I had the same complaints about Assassin's Creed but it didn't stop me from playing it. Over and over.
Anders. I really thought he was cool in Awakening, but the stuff with Ser Pounce-A-Lot was a bit awkward, but sometimes funny. Now he's as emo as Cloud, and DESPERATE to be loved. By anything with a pulse.

Things I actually hate: Carver. So. Much. Hate.

Things I love: Isabella and Merrill. Isabella's... shall we say "promiscuity" makes for some friggin hilarious dialog between her and Merrill's naivete. I keep the two of them, and Varric. And this is play through #3.

Edavies696

Feb 15, 2010
the fact that it ended...it was a brilliant game and i can't wait for dragon age 3 (cross fingers)

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
From what I've played so far there isn't much of a game world... I've only played
for like 6 hours, but the game world is mostly linear paths with the same wheelcart
blocking caves every 50 ft... I even ran into a cave that was basically just a wall with
a black circle drawn in it...

It's like they designed the cities and had like 1 month to work on the game world
before release and they were like "crap put a cart in front of it".

Was hoping for a better world for a tactical action rpg..

TheDudeEM

Mar 1, 2011
The graphic hiccups and no patch to fix them yet. At first it was just sputtering character models, I could stomach that. But when the Qun badguy suddenly has no horns and when I met the Grey Wardens, they're floating heads, hands, feet, and weapons, like they're wearing cloaks of invisibility around their torso and legs. That really got to me.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Really? That's what you find "strange"? Not that people are getting "angry" at people not liking a game and voicing their opinion?
Yes, because there is no need to create a dozen threads a day on the subject. There is plenty of hate for the game out there, and there are enough threads to discuss dislike for the game already.

People don't make new threads such as these to express opinions, they do it to stroke their own ego's. Or else they'd just add their opinion to one of the threads already created, rather than focusing the attention on themselves, by creating yet another thread to voice an opinion that has already been voiced many times already.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I can't count how many times I've carefully positioned my people before an assault only to discover that three ninjas have dropped off a nearby building and directly on top of my vulnerable rear-line mage. And how do I discover this? Well the mage is fucking dead already. So now I get to reload and try another formation. Here's hoping the third wave doesn't spawn on top of my relocated mage!

The mid-battle "spawns" are far and away the worst part of DA2. On the face of things, it's just a lazy shortcut for the devs. When you really think about it, though, the random positioning and strength of enemies pretty much decimates traditional tactics gameplay, which is based on party formation and skill rationing.

Don't get me wrong, dynamic elements are important; you don't want every fight to play out exactly the same way. But you also want to build a base of knowledge about a gameworld from your experiences, and you want to enjoy the application of that knowledge as you progress. That doesn't happen in DA2. Instead, your best bet is to spam all of your powerful abilities early so they'll be up again in time for Wave 3. And make sure you run your rear-line party members directly through the initial conflict to stand behind Wave 1 - chances are good Wave 2/3/? won't spawn there. Maybe.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Really the only thing that kind of annoys me if the re-using of environments.
"Yes, I get it Bioware, you put a lot of work into this cave, and I'll agree that it looks quite nice. But this is my sixth time here and it's starting to get old. What, is there maybe some sort of cave Realtor who caters to the niche bandit/blood mage market and keeps reselling this place after cleaning out all the corpses in between my visits?"

That and all the frankly unreasonable hate that some people seem to throw at it.

Goombanator

Dec 2, 2009
Its an awsome game, as much as I was exited that DAO was an "Old school" RPG with stat crunching and deep crafting and whatnot, Im finding the simplified DA2 simply more fun. Its not without faults, I would muh rather have less talent trees but make them much deeper (So If i wanted to spec as a pure healer, or 100% blood mage etc I can do that, I found myself having to take useless talents down the line to get to the stuff I wanted. The recycled Stuff is annoying sure, and it smacks of trying to get the game out as soon as they could. THere was much less of a drive to go out an explore and find new stuff because well, its all kirkwall, all the time. Finding a new city, new questgivers and lines is one of the most rewarding parts of any RPG and the "One city" idea kinda ruins that, buit its getting easier as im getting more into the game and helping to flesh out everyone in kirkwall more than in say.. ME2 or Fallout.

rankfx

Jul 24, 2010
Things that most annoyed me were the things in the story- biggest one is sister petrice. Also the Arishok- what the hell did he think would happen? You turn up and hang around for four years in a city where the templars are the main line of defense and complain that you're not welcome when you are obviously lying about why you are there and won't talk to anyone but the viscount- meanwhile your own followers turn into Tal Vashoth and add to the already overwhelming crime. That and how in the mage ending, the mages attack you anyway because SPOILER: Fenris is totally, totally right when it comes to mages.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
gyro2death said:
Legion said:
True enough, the game seems to have been selected for a hate campaign, it's odd really.
It's probably because Dragon Age: Origin was fantastic in almost every aspect in which DA 2 failed. All of us who played DA:O are disappointed that they would take so many steps back from the first game.
And here you are wrong. I loved origins, it was one of 2009's highlights for me, and I love DA2. I don't think that they took steps back so much as they took a different viewpoint when they started making it.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Legion said:
-Enemies re-spawning, especially in areas where it doesn't make any sense.
-Lack of conversation options with party members outside of missions.
These two. Especially the second. The party having a lot more ambient conversations was definitely a good thing and it added a lot, but I can't really think of many times outside of the first time you meet where you get to ask them a bunch of questions and just talk to them.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Nothing major.

1. I can't get used to the changed visual style. Particularly the darkspawn. They look worse than they did in Origins.

2. There is a distinct lack of graphical options when using DirectX 9 :(

Minor points that I perhaps shouldn't moan about, but they still niggle at me.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Regarding Anders:

Yeah, the way they made it to where there was no neutral option to turning him down was stupid. It was either flirt or call him a freak. Thanks, Bioware.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The fact that Anders is so stubbornly set in his ways that he fails to see ANY evidence that contradicts him. The same with Fenris, although not as bad. I honestly wanted to smash their heads together and go, "Okay children, the world doesn't work the way you think it does." Idiots.

The Merrill bug bothers me a lot too, although I'm sure they'll fix that. Then again, Blight Queller is STILL broken...

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
The things that really irritated me in Dragon Age 2 was the enviroment, Kirkwall was supposed to be a massive overcrowded city full of people and life but it felt baron. The travel menu fractured the city and it made it feel more like a group of levels. Also the lack of colour and different enviroments really irked me aswell, Origins was colourful and there were many different places to explore the game enviroments were a massive step down.

On a brighter note the character designs are much better, the Quinari looked threatening and the elves looked more alien instead of humans with pointy ears like in Origins (the Welsh accent was also a nice touch). The Darkspawn took a step to the side in terms of design (they also got rid of Genlocks) im just glad the game looks clean cut instead of looking like I playing the game through a fishbowl. (So much Bloom in Origins)

The only characters I really liked were Avalene & Varric so they stayed in my party for most of the game; I also took a liking to Merril but she was stupid and Anders was very annoying for most of the game and I hated the way most conversation branches lead to a relationship and Bioware brand sexy time.
(The only reason I didnt kill him at the end because he was my healer).
I really tried to like Dragon Age 2 and in some cases I did have moments where I did but it felt like a massive step down to Origins. I liked Hawkes design and voice actor for both male and female, better than Shepards anyway.

Bourne Endeavor

May 14, 2008
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Legion said:

Darth IB said:
What makes me the most angry is how people constantly complain about it.
Lusty said:
All the threads slagging off Dragon Age 2 are starting to make me angry.
Best of the 3 said:
ALl the people angry at Dragon Age 2 is pissing me off.
True enough, the game seems to have been selected for a hate campaign, it's odd really.
This is so true I don't understand why people are giving this game so much attention albeit negative. It's not a terrible game maybe a 75/100. I think of it as a different kind of game from dragon age origins. It's more like mass effect 2 than the baldur's gate style of the last one. Perhaps people wouldn't be so mad if they had made it an IP rather than a sequel. There really seems to be a hate campaign.
I believe it is receiving such enormous negative attention because Dragon Age was marketed as the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, one of BioWare's most beloved franchises. DA2 is the complete opposite and became more of a Mass Effect 2 spin off. Therefore, fans are rightfully agitated because they have been essentially lied to for profit. If Dragon Age 2 had been released under the title "Hawke: Champion of Kirkwall" for instance, they game would not receive a fraction of its hostility. Evidently, we all are acutely aware why BioWare chose not to make such a decision. They desired the blind buyer market who believed DA2 would be an improved continuation of Origins.

The response is fans attempting to be make absolute certain BioWare knows of their ire, under the belief it will force a change of direction back to what they had been promised. I cannot say whether such practice is futile however I have never witnessed a company so desperate to convince its fanbase a sequel is superior to its predecessor than BioWare has been. They review their own game and blatantly lie doing so, have been deleting/hiding comments on their forum apparently and hand wave any criticism in interviews.

So it definitely is having some effect. Of course, what many have neglected to consider is this reaction unintentionally fuels EA's belief single player gaming is a relic.

Personally, I like Dragon Age 2 however it is not BioWare's finest work by a longshot. Their reputation should not allow for recycled dungeons, bland cities and other reasonable complaints. The game warrants a 7/10 at least. Those who claim it is an abomination are trolling.

Edit: Wow, spell corrections galore. Note to self, turn off the television whilst typing.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
There is simply no excuse for the poorly created "dungeons". I would of rather wait another six months for a game where every dungeon was unique, or at least had the appearance of being unique. Not just the same environment, with doors blocked with slabs of stone you sometimes can open.

A very close second is glitches, such as characters being locked into the party permanently.