Dragon Age 2 Will Look "Super Hot"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dragon Age 2 Will Look "Super Hot"

Don't despair if the graphics of Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970552&sr=1-1] turn you off, BioWare intends to pump them up in the future.

Without question, BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins is a well made game with a very deep story, but a segment of the gaming population has voiced complaints about its graphics. BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk says that the company is going to do something about that for the sequel, as he told Joystiq: "I can confirm that we're doing a lot of work on the Dragon Age engine, and doing a lot of stuff to pump it -- to make it visually super hot."

I'm one of the lucky ones that was able to play Dragon Age as it should be played, on a PC, so I don't have any major complaints about the game's graphics, though they didn't blow me into next week. The majority of people's issues with the graphics stem from the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions instead. Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1]'s graphics, on the other hand, are very impressive on the PC.

Zeschuk says there is a reason for this: "Dragon Age is, in the structural sense, a fundamentally different game than Mass Effect ... You have to make different technical considerations." Dragon Age feels like a deeper game than Mass Effect 2, so maybe the graphics had to take a hit to keep all the other goodness in. These kinds of issues do come up, especially in console game development.

However, as we can see with Mass Effect 2 (which made massive improvements over Mass Effect), BioWare knows how to use existing technology to renovate what's been done before. "I think the overall visual style we're going to continue to evolve in Dragon Age. People are going to see some cool ... I can't really say too much, but I think Dragon Age as a world is interesting." Do I smell a hint of cel-shading in that sentence, Mr. Zeschuk?

In addition to adding "super hot" graphics though, I would appreciate it if BioWare could also fix one of my major Dragon Age: Origins complaints: having to constantly hold in the TAB key to highlight usable items and NPC names. Maybe I'm being a baby, but it bothers me, okay?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/29/bioware-says-dragon-age-2-to-look-super-hot/]

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I am beginning to think I'm the only person on the planet who was happy with the graphics of Dragon Age: Origins ... Regardless, I can't wait to see how Dragon Age 2 [Continuance?] looks ^^

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
How about an original story first, updated graphics second? I was very put off from the use of a fairly cliche plot...and a violent illness, but that's for a different discussion.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Make Alister less of a whiny ass emo pansy ***** and i'll be good. Graphics don't bother me in the slightest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That's fine, as long as it runs smoothly as well. Performance first, shinies later.

I don't think DA:O looks that bad though, graphically. Oh sure it's not Crysis, but why would you need more?

What I'm more annoyed about, is the quality of the animations. Characters are just too rigid, they barely show emotions or personality. But take a look at most Source games. Graphically, they're far from the best out there, but their characters often show so much more emotions and personality.

Even if it's a caricature as the TF2 characters are, they still end up being more relatable and likeable than a wooden, if realistic looking, puppet.

I say focus on that first before you buff up the texture details.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
I'm surprised how well Dragon Age looked considering they had to build the engine from scratch and Mass effect is just a modified Unreal engine.

Apr 28, 2008
So long as its optimized well I don't mind. If it pulls a "Mass Effect 2" so to speak, where the graphics are upgraded and it runs a hell of a lot better, then awsome!

Shoggoth2588 said:
I am beginning to think I'm the only person on the planet who was happy with the graphics of Dragon Age: Origins ... Regardless, I can't wait to see how Dragon Age 2 [Continuance?] looks ^^
I liked the graphics. Sure they weren't on a level the same as Crysis, but then again nothing it.

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
So, is this a confirmation that there will be a Dragon Age 2?
I like graphics as much as the average Joe, but one of the only gripes I had with DA:O is that I couldn't play it on anything above normal... (Minor gripe)... I thought the graphics were fine, just a bit older looking (Figured it took a hit because of funding ME2)... I really loved the combat tactics, and wish ME2 had them...

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Dragon Age is already one fine looking game. If BioWare manages to make it look better, I'd be REALLY impressed.
Greg Zeschuk: "I can confirm that we're doing a lot of work on the Dragon Age engine...to make it visually super hot."
Can someone buy this man a Thesaurus?

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Story, Gameplay, Immersion, Environment, and Characters. Graphics should be the least of their worries. You can polish a turd to a shine but it's still just a turd. Keep making games the way you have been, don't cater to the "ZOMG TEH GRAPHIX IN THIS R TEH WRST" crowd. Gimmie a game I will want to play after the graphics are out of date first. Having said that if the next one is anything like the first one...First day buy hands down.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I'd also appreciate BioWare powering up rogues to make them more balanced. I loved the first one, and I can't wait to see what they do for the second.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
The only graphical issue I had on PC was the textures. They were far too low resolution, I could see that they were perfectly flat especially when it came to clothing. Make bigger textures and maybe fix a couple engine issues and it'll be perfect. That said Dragon Age: Origins was a damn fine game.