Dragon Age 3 May Be BioWare's Biggest Game Yet

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dragon Age 3 May Be BioWare's Biggest Game Yet

Bioware's upcoming Dragon Age game has been in pre-production longer than Origins, Dragon Age 2, or Mass Effect.

It's been almost a year and a half since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110229-BioWare-Tweet-Confirms-Dragon-Age-3>BioWare accidentally revealed that it was working on a new game in the Dragon Age series. When it comes to what the game will actually contain however, BioWare's lips are tightly sealed. The only substantial information we have is the Inquisition subtitle and that it will be set in Orlais, along with the usual promise that DA3 will be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119622-BioWare-Confirms-Dragon-Age-III-Inquisition>bigger and better than the originals. BioWare isn't planning to reveal any specifics just yet, but one very interesting detail has slipped out: in terms of pure pre-production time, Dragon Age 3 rivals most of what the developer has made in recent years.

The information was revealed at the Comic & Entertainment Expo in Edmonton, where BioWare producer Cameron Lee tweeted the key points of a Dragon Age Look Ahead panel. "[Lead Cinematic Designer] Jon Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on," Lee wrote. "JP said just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels."

The panel also stated that the game will include more customization options than DA:0, including the ability to dye the color of your armor. BioWare'sMike Laidlaw also presented a picture of a huge castle fortress, joking that the player "may or may not take control of it".

In and of itself, Dragon Age 3 having a long pre-production time might not mean anything for the finished product. BioWare likely pushed back DA3's release date <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117162-Pachter-Dragon-Age-III-Pushed-Back-Due-To-The-Old-Republic>to work on Star Wars: The Old Republic, which could explain the lengthy development period. Still, BioWare has also claimed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112505-Dragon-Age-3-Will-Blend-Best-Parts-of-the-Series-Says-BioWare>Dragon Age 3 will combine the best elements of DA:O and DA2, which might herald a return to the larger scope of the original title. Perry's claim that a single DA3 level encompasses all of DA2 certainly lends weight to that theory.

All of this is simply speculation until we actually see the game itself, of course. Considering that many Dragon Age 3's development team have been with the franchise from the start however, I am choosing to be cautiously optimistic.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-22-dragon-age-3-longer-in-pre-production-than-da1-da2-and-mass-effect>Eurogamer

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Please note
"[Lead Cinematic Designer] Jon Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on,"

Does not mean it's a bigger production than any Bioware game. It means Jon Perry hasn't worked on the big Bioware games.

Also there is almost 0 possibility 'Dragon Age 3 May be Bioware's Biggest Game Yet'. As you mentioned in the article, Star Wars: The Old Republic is made by Bioware.

The correct title was 'Dragon Age 3 May be the Biggest Yet' because that's all we've learnt. Dragon Age 3 is probably bigger than 1 or 2. It's a little sensationalist still, but that's fine and it has the benefit of being correct, unlike the current title

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
hmm...
Sounds not bad at least.
However i will still only buy after reviews and, most importantly, the fan reaction.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
"[Lead Cinematic Designer] Jon Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on," Lee wrote. "JP said just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels."

...I have the sinking feeling that DA3 will be composed of a single level... ;p

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
mdqp said:
"[Lead Cinematic Designer] Jon Perry said he's had a longer pre-production on DA3 than any other BioWare project he's worked on," Lee wrote. "JP said just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels."

they tend to have a way with words, yeah.

OT: it starts to sound a bit better, but if it's not more tactical than the second game, i'mma let it pass.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You can choose to be optimistic. I choose to believe they are talking out of their asses. Longer pre production than Origins? Bullshit, unless they started work on DA 3 before Origins even came out.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Fanghawk said:
I am choosing to be cautiously optimistic.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game.

I very much want it to be great, but I have found the last couple of Bioware games that I have played to be incredibly underwhelming. The issue isn't even that the games have been bad, it's that they have been bad in comparison to their predecessors.

The concept art is looking stunning, but sadly that doesn't really reflect on the quality of a final game.

Soviet Heavy said:
You can choose to be optimistic. I choose to believe they are talking out of their asses. Longer pre production than Origins? Bullshit, unless they started work on DA 3 before Origins even came out.
Chances are, the idea of a Templar vs Mages storyline was the original idea for Dragon Age, but they put it on hold and went with the Blight for the main campaign.

Then they decided to go back to it. This seems to be especially true as the entire premise of Dragon Age 2 is the story of how the war came to start.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Bigger than DA2 you say?!

My! What an achievment!

Let's just hope you haven't taken the "Bioware Sequel" route and removed all the features that people liked about the series and made them more "Action Oriented".

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
They could take the next 4 years and it would make no difference to me. The fact is ME 3, SWTOR and DA2 were disappointments to me and I have yet to hear anything to make me think this will be any different.

Bioware/EA's biggest challenge is not making the game, it is convincing me and other who have been burned by them over the last few years to take a chance on them again.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
And so the DA3 spin machine gets to work. I'm expecting a beyond perfect score of pure gigglesquee from their PR's favoured media outlets.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
"
Fanghawk said:
BioWare'sMike Laidlaw also presented a picture of a huge castle fortress, joking that the player "may or may not take control of it".
You mean like we took control of the Warden's Keep? Or the fortress in Awakenings?

Promise the moon all you want BioWare, if you want to impress people this time around, you're going to have to deliver the goods.

There's too much skepticism, too much distrust now. People aren't going to jump on a hype wagon for your game just because you release some half-assed details and some concept art. That might have worked a few years ago, but now? No, you've lost that.

It used to be, all BioWare had to do was announce a game and the community would get excited. Those days are gone.

The way I see it, DA3 is BioWare's chance to recoup the community's opinion of them. The only way to do that, however, is to deliver a good game.

That's the only way forward from here as far as I'm concerned

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I haven't given up total hope in bioware yet.

So I'm probably going to give the game a shot since I loved DA 1, but 2 really wasn't my cup of tea.

So I'll probably buy 3 and give the gameplay a few hours worth of a chance rather than do a pre-emptive ragequit on what could be an awesome game. Or possibly the very least an awesome game with a mildly annoying ending.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Still not buying it until I see a half dozen reviews on it, EA. Sorry. They're good games, but everything you promised fell short. I'll wait and see what a bunch of people think before I consider buying it. No more Ultimate Editions, etc for me. And I probably will continue not to buy any DLC either. I haven't since ME1 and Origins (which were both good games, deserving of my money).

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
mdqp said:
"JP said just one level in DA3 is as big as all of DA2's levels."

How will that be different than DA2?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Make it your biggest game yet (non-MMO). They almost have to by this point. Palpatine, help me with this. *Good, Goood.....*