Dragon age 3 you will once again be playing as a human

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
dantoddd said:
Remember 'Knights of the Old Republic' by Bioware, it was a god awful game because you couldn't play as a hutt/twilek hybrid. The lack cosmetic character customization absolutely ruined that game.
This made me laugh so much. I thank you.

But to play devil's advocate, I understand why people are up in arms about race restriction since the original appeal of Dragon Age was choosing your own origin, race, and backstory akin to the PC RPGs of old.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
C. Cain said:
Saviordd1 said:
(...)

And ALL the origins were bland and boring except the dwarf noble and human noble.
Ah yes, the city elf origin only had ghetto dwelling elves, an arranged marriage, arbitrary cruelty and oppression by the ruling human nobles, a pseudo-invocation of droit du seigneur and rape. How bland and uninspiring.

Not nearly as riveting as the human noble origin.
Say what you will, I found that one boring because of how 2D it was.

Seriously, the whole "humans are dicks" in fantasy thing starts to wear thin after a bit.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
I'm all for this.

In Dragon Age: Origins, there really wasn't a difference between any of the races besides the first, what, thirty minutes or so? After that, there was no difference at all between the three.
Then you weren't paying attention. So you're a human noble, that means you can marry Anora. So you're a Dalish elf, means you get an easier time in the Bracillian forest. So you're a dwarf, really changes the perspectives when you're in Orzammar. There was plenty of difference.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
dantoddd said:
Remember 'Knights of the Old Republic' by Bioware, it was a god awful game because you couldn't play as a hutt/twilek hybrid. The lack cosmetic character customization absolutely ruined that game.
Apples and oranges dude, not to mention they didn't give you the option to play as a hutt/twilek hybrid in a previous game.

Legion said:
I liked both.
Well Good, you got your moneys worth than, but a lot of people didn't which those people will be disappointed once again given the current trend, which was the point.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Saviordd1 said:
Say what you will, I found that one boring because of how 2D it was.

Seriously, the whole "humans are dicks" in fantasy thing starts to wear thin after a bit.
You are entitled to your opinions. I disagree with you for various reasons, but that's neither here nor there.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
You know, even though I am no longer a supporter of DA, I've always laughed at the arguement against Human only RP'ing.

That's what you're so desperately begging for? A bunch of whiney slaves with no real power or oustanding features, other than ones that make them even more unappealing?

And then the Dwarves... well even if you ignore their cliche role and go by DA lore, seeing one above ground makes just about as much sense as a darkspawn, much less a dwarf in Orlais.

So yeah, even though I don't really care for Dragon Age 3, pick something better to argue about.

Apr 5, 2008
I would've preferred the opportunity to play as any race rather than being restricted to human. It's really not much in keeping with the first game, but BW are moving in their chosen direction and there doesn't seem to be any voice to tell them to bloody well stop.

Castle thing sounds good, though it's hardly anything new or original. In BGII we had a different player stronghold for each class. NWN2 gave us a city. Whatever, old BW is gone, I've accepted that. I don't like new BW but will at least consider DA3. If it's Origin exclusive however then EA will be losing out on another sale, that I can say for certain.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
disgruntledgamer said:
alphamalet said:
I call bullshit on this post. First off, what the hell would you consider positive news about Dragon Age 3? Everything we have heard sounds less and less like the original and more of an attempt to appeal to a "broader audience" that couldn't appreciate a good RPG if it hit them in the face.
This guy gets it and isn't blinded by a ray of fanboy retard
Ah, I see you're using that special definition of "gets it" which means "agrees with me and only me".

I also like how people who enjoy things you don't are "fanboy retards"! What a well-reasoned and logical point; you don't like the way the Dragon Age series is heading, and since you are the ultimate arbiter of quality, the only person allowed to define what "fun" is and where it can be found, anyone who likes what you don't MUST be mentally defective and/or in denial. You stay classy, buddy.

OT: This doesn't really bother me. Both previous games are good, though I much preferred the combat from the original. I'm sure the third game will be good too. Inability to play as a dwarf or an elf has no effect on me, though I can understand it being an annoyance for those who actually role-play with their characters. Still, the bare bones of the game - combat, quests, levelling systems, loot etc - remain the same whether you're a midget or have pointy ears, and having less racial options won't lessen the enjoyment of actually playing.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Roofstone said:
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
I'm one of the few people who enjoyed DA2, so i'm excited about this, it has great potential as long as they don't keep the combat from DA2, which was really the biggest problem of DA2 because it was made easier for console gamers.
Yeah, I really like dragon age 2, and I am looking forward to this, though I am healthily skeptic thanks to me3 ending.

I gotta disagree on your second point, I really liked the combat, it was fun and fast fluid.
Though the act of spawning a few enemies right after combat was done was pants on head retarded.

Beyond that I didn't really have any problems with the second game, I loved it, and will look forward to the third.
The combat was not awful but it seemed to me that it was a lot less strategy and more mashing the attack button than DA:O, I have to say though, on console, i liked DA2 more than DA:O, but on PC i much prefer DA:O, a lot has to do with the fact that on PC you can use strategy much more easier than on consoles, because it's easier to stop time and plan on PC than on console.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
A quick reminder, ladies and gentlemen, name-calling and slinging insults akin to "entitled whiners" and "fanboy retards" to describe your arguing counterparts is the lowest form of debate and shows that you have no true contribution to the discussion other than indulging your own need to exude hateful bile.

If you feel the urge to resort to this pathetic form of arguing, ask yourself, why? If it is a reactionary response to another's disrespectful provocation, simply click the "report" button and move on. If it is because you cannot think of another way to respond to the other's presented arguments, think upon what they have said and contemplate the validity of their point rather than resort to assuming they are obstinate and unreasonable.

Let's be civilized and keep the discussion to a respectful degree, shall we?

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I was hoping I could play as other races again but whatever, I'll live I guess. I'll be happy so long as I'm not playing as 'totally not shephard' in this game.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Having a voiced protagonist is a much bigger issue for me, although of course I'd much prefer having the choice of race rather than none at all.

I really hope they scrap the Mass Effect 2 style dialogue choice and go back to Origins, but I have my doubts.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
disgruntledgamer said:
Dragon Age 3 will also be mimicking Mass Effect in another feature, which allows you to pick background options when creating your character. So for DA fans and people who still have faith that EA hasn't completely killed Bioware how do you feel about this?

It seems that Bioware has completely incorporated EAs smugness and seem eager to keep following down the path DA 2 set out and ignoring the format of DA 1. Although not surprising since EA more often than not just look at sales to figure out whats good and whats bad.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/22/dragon-age-iii-inquisition-adds-castles-customization-huge-levels

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-22-dragon-age-3-longer-in-pre-production-than-da1-da2-and-mass-effect
Umm, forgive me if I sound a bit confused, but what exactly is bad here? All you mentioned is that they're adding in non-playable character options, but BioWare did that in ME1, back when they were still in the employ of Microsoft, so it's hardly EA's fault.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
To be honest, I am really getting sick of tolkien cliches like elves and dwarves. Human factions and cultures could be unique and varied enough to provide some very interesting conflict (see Game of Thrones...or history).

The inclusion of dwarves and elves in the lore of games like the Witcher and Dragon Age does nothing but hinder the darker tone the developers are trying to create (little choice with the Witcher given it is based of a series of novels). Too late now I suppose. I guess I like my fantasy where the only dwarves are humans suffering from dwarfism and the only elves are humans suffering from William's syndrome.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
GoaThief said:
Having a voiced protagonist is a much bigger issue for me, although of course I'd much prefer having the choice of race rather than none at all.

I really hope they scrap the Mass Effect 2 style dialogue choice and go back to Origins, but I have my doubts.
Already confirmed the dialog wheel will be back.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
I'm all for this.

In Dragon Age: Origins, there really wasn't a difference between any of the races besides the first, what, thirty minutes or so? After that, there was no difference at all between the three.
Then you weren't paying attention. So you're a human noble, that means you can marry Anora. So you're a Dalish elf, means you get an easier time in the Bracillian forest. So you're a dwarf, really changes the perspectives when you're in Orzammar. There was plenty of difference.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
disgruntledgamer said:
GoaThief said:

Already confirmed the dialog wheel will be back.
I'll probably pass as it sounds like it's going to be Dragon Age 2... but bigger. Maybe the poor writing and characters didn't help but I really struggled with that aspect in the sequel.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
I'm all for this.

Actually... no. If you play beyond the first little introduction of the game and aren't human there is a lot of racism during the game that can lead to unpleasant encounters. There are also several different quests throughout the course of the game that are tailored to your elf/dwarf characters and a multitude of endings that can occur for each race. The main plot of the game is the same but there is a big difference between them.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I'm not surprised that they're keeping to the whole human race being the most superior to all other races thing. Humans are of course the master race of the DA universe according to the developers so why wouldn't you want to be one? Right guys? Who's with me?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
honestdiscussioner said:
Bullfrog1983 said:
Actually... no. If you play beyond the first little introduction of the game and aren't human there is a lot of racism during the game that can lead to unpleasant encounters. There are also several different quests throughout the course of the game that are tailored to your elf/dwarf characters and a multitude of endings that can occur for each race. The main plot of the game is the same but there is a big difference between them.
I'm throwing both of you on here since your comments to my comment is similar enough...

The only differences I noticed between the three races was that people were usually a bit racist toward the elf and nothing really different for the dwarf. There were the superficial differences like the way people addressed each race but I didn't really see any big difference between the three. Bullfrog1983 stated unpleasant encounters but except for people being more rude to the elf, I didn't notice any big difference.

However, honestdiscussioner has pointed out some specific differences so you both could be correct and I just wasn't paying close enough attention between the three adventures.

This still isn't going to be the thing that breaks the game for me. I still have no real problem with this setup since I still prefer one linear and focused story against lesser multiple stories that let you choose superficial changes.