Dragon Age DLC Makes a Million

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dragon Age DLC Makes a Million

Dragon Age's downloadable content has a made a seven-figure sum in its first week of release.

EA's decision to have downloadable content available on the same day that Dragon Age was released [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95305-Dragon-Age-Origins-DLC-Will-Be-Available-Day-One] was a controversial one, so much so that BioWare's Georg Zoeller felt the need to defend it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95950-Dragon-Age-Designer-Says-DLC-Not-Meant-to-Rip-Off-Players], but it doesn't seem like controversy has stopped people handing over their cash.

"Dragon Age just launched about a week ago, it's doing very well," said EA CFO Eric Brown "The game was designed at the outset to have [paid DLC] at launch, as well as through the next 12-plus months of its lifespan. We're well past one million in PDLC, so the attach rate appears pretty good." It seems likely that most of that money has gone towards buying The Warden's Keep, which was the piece of DLC not included in most copies of the game.

Looks like Day One DLC (DODLC? Nah, too much) is here to stay.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176910]

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
I'm not surprised the DLC sold so well, the game was great. I'd buy them both myself if I wasn't against using microsoft points for PC DLC.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
To be honest i am not surprised it done well, when you consider that people are always going to buy more content for a game they plan to play a lot anyway.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Shame that for many people DLC would not work. Still a great game thouh

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
And I'll gladly spend my money for BioWare DLCs, even despite having the powerful toolset at my more geeky computer brethren disposition, who without no doubt will be creating little wonders of their own. But as long as additional DLCs might have a little bit more meat to it than both Stone Prisoner and Warden Keep combined (at least, quest wise), it would be great.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
cieply said:
Shame that for many people DLC would not work. Still a great game thouh
Your avatar is brilliant.

Anyway, I have to say that the excuses he made for day 1 DLC were actually pretty good ones, so I wasn't too cheesed off by this. Plus Stone Prisoner is free.

Damn I can't wait to get this for Christmas.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good. That means there were at least 1 million copies of Dragon Age sold within the first week: and I'm extremely happy to see that.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
scotth266 said:
Good. That means there were at least 1 million copies of Dragon Age sold within the first week: and I'm extremely happy to see that.
You assume people aren't stupid enough to buy DLC without the game.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
scotth266 said:
What I want to know if there's an online retailer where I can buy just the DLC. I know D2D has both versions (normal and deluxe, with DLC), but I want to buy the game first and then see if I enjoy it.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
It's a different kind of DLC though really, it's available in a deluxe edition of the game anyway. So for those that don't get it, and enjoy it, (the game), enough the DLC is a viable option straight away.

I doubt this will be a trend starter.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
scotth266 said:
Yeah... but c'mon, there can't have been TOO many of those. Maybe 5k tops.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
OK, now I don't want to sound all "L4D Boycotter" on here, but I strongly believe that Day One DLC should be included into the game! Jesus tap-dancing Christ, pretty soon we won't be buying games anymore, just DLC for 20 fucking dollars a piece. What is with all these video-game makers trying to screw over their own market and piss us off?!

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
xavierxenon said:
I'm not surprised the DLC sold so well, the game was great. I'd buy them both myself if I wasn't against using microsoft points for PC DLC.
You don't use microsoft points, you purchase it straight from Bioware.

I am also not a fan of day one DLC, but I can't be mad at Dragon Age, I just can't. It is too awesome.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
People need to remember that all this DLC was offered in the Pre Order Special editions. I still think you are all lucky to have been allowed to buy it?

I got the Delux version, was well worth it!

Kandon Arc

Mar 10, 2009
I'd much rather have DLC too early than too late. Too me it shows that DLC is more than an afterthought and I can expect much more in future, unlike the limited DLC of ME.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
AkJay said:
OK, now I don't want to sound all "L4D Boycotter" on here, but I strongly believe that Day One DLC should be included into the game! Jesus tap-dancing Christ, pretty soon we won't be buying games anymore, just DLC for 20 fucking dollars a piece. What is with all these video-game makers trying to screw over their own market and piss us off?!
Furburt said:
The niggling feeling that you're missing out on essential stuff. I usually buy DLC and expansion packs anyway, but day one DLC niggles me a bit. While the other stuff is probably thing the devs thought up after the game came out, which is always good, day one DLC makes me feel like they're purposefully holding back on the good stuff.
Maybe not as excitedly as AkJay but I must agree with the above posters, Day One Downloadable Content simply begs the question:

Why wasn't this content included in the original game?

I suppose the question is actually moot for myself though, my budget doesn't allow for anything but waiting for pretty hefty sales or a low price point on games before I can make a purchase, so Independent Developers seem to get a good portion of my gaming money these days. *shrug* See you in a future sale Dragon Age, whatever you are.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Furburt said:
DAMN.

All these horrible trends like lack of Dedicated Servers, no LAN and Day one DLC keep making more fucking money!

DA:O was a great game though, so I'm not too annoyed.
CanadianWolverine said:
AkJay said:
Furburt said:
The niggling feeling that you're missing out on essential stuff. I usually buy DLC and expansion packs anyway, but day one DLC niggles me a bit. While the other stuff is probably thing the devs thought up after the game came out, which is always good, day one DLC makes me feel like they're purposefully holding back on the good stuff.
Maybe not as excitedly as AkJay but I must agree with the above posters, Day One Downloadable Content simply begs the question:

Why wasn't this content included in the original game?

I suppose the question is actually moot for myself though, my budget doesn't allow for anything but waiting for pretty hefty sales or a low price point on games before I can make a purchase, so Independent Developers seem to get a good portion of my gaming money these days. *shrug* See you in a future sale Dragon Age, whatever you are.
AkJay said:
Our very own Virgil as an excellent and informative post about how software development actually works [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.154083#3719305] that I strongly suggest you read. It isn't so simple as "let's throw extra stuff into the game."