Dragon Age DLC Makes a Million

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Virgil said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I only bought the DLC dealing with the exile of the Wardens from Ferelden, didn't really care about the companion you could get with the other DLC.
If you bought the game new, you should have had a code to get that one for free - every game includes it. I would think it's a bit early for people to be getting used copies, though I guess it's possible.
Every new copy? Is the code in the manual or does it come in the form of a flier? There was no flier and I saw no code in the manual, albeit I did only look at the beginning page and the end one.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Amnestic said:
Nurb said:
A little history on the "stone prisoner" quest:

Shale's character (and associated quests) was originally intended to be a joinable NPC in the shipped game, Shale was cut by developers who wanted to concentrate on further polishing the game prior to release in 2008. When the game release date was pushed back to Q4 2009, developers spent time re-integrating Shale back into the game. Although still not included in the shipped version of the game. This means the publisher (EA) made the developers remove the content INTENDED TO BE IN THE RELEASE VERSION after the release date was pushed pack and spent time putting him back in, so they could make money off of day-one DLC.
Wait, what?

Stone Prisoner is the free DLC which every game comes with. They're not making any money off SP to my knowledge.
whoops I typoed, I ment day one DLC for warden keep, and removed content for anyone who buys it second hand, which is their way of fighting against gamestop used games. Thanks for catching that

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
Every new copy? Is the code in the manual or does it come in the form of a flier? There was no flier and I saw no code in the manual, albeit I did only look at the beginning page and the end one.
I don't know if it comes in the "normal" version of the game, I did get my redemption code in the collectors/special edition though.

As for the Wardens Keep, I've not bought that yet and I ain't sure if I will. Regardless of the circumstances, I find it a little rich to be offered the quest from an in game character, along with a little friendly pointer reminding me I will actually have to pay for the privilege. Thanks, but no thanks.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
MarsProbe said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I don't know if it comes in the "normal" version of the game, I did get my redemption code in the collectors/special edition though.
I got the normal version. It included a flier about Mass Effect 2, the manual and the disc itself.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Furburt said:
DAMN.

All these horrible trends like lack of Dedicated Servers, no LAN and Day one DLC keep making more fucking money!

DA:O was a great game though, so I'm not too annoyed.
Children on average have more spending money now than they used to. Which means any sort of stupid shit like this will be more and more popular as naive individuals continue to pound money into it all.

Just wait till 10 year olds are blowing their months lunch money on purple in game shoes.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CanadianWolverine said:
AkJay said:
OK, now I don't want to sound all "L4D Boycotter" on here, but I strongly believe that Day One DLC should be included into the game! Jesus tap-dancing Christ, pretty soon we won't be buying games anymore, just DLC for 20 fucking dollars a piece. What is with all these video-game makers trying to screw over their own market and piss us off?!
Furburt said:
The niggling feeling that you're missing out on essential stuff. I usually buy DLC and expansion packs anyway, but day one DLC niggles me a bit. While the other stuff is probably thing the devs thought up after the game came out, which is always good, day one DLC makes me feel like they're purposefully holding back on the good stuff.
Maybe not as excitedly as AkJay but I must agree with the above posters, Day One Downloadable Content simply begs the question:

Why wasn't this content included in the original game?

I suppose the question is actually moot for myself though, my budget doesn't allow for anything but waiting for pretty hefty sales or a low price point on games before I can make a purchase, so Independent Developers seem to get a good portion of my gaming money these days. *shrug* See you in a future sale Dragon Age, whatever you are.
Cookie for your avatar. Here's a thought to keep you up at night. Game developer makes awesome game, gets lots of hype and rave reviews. People play game. 2/3's into the main game storyline...it fades into a new screen: Loving it so far? Get the next part for only $20! So for those who want to whine about the DLC that is being put out: suck it up, it could be a lot worse.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
MarsProbe said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I got the normal version. It included a flier about Mass Effect 2, the manual and the disc itself.
I got the normal version and mine came with a flier for Warhammer Online. On the back was the redemption code for Shale the golem. Also that Mass Effect 2 flier has a redemption code for Dragon Armor for both games. I think you should return your copy of Dragon Age becasue I'm pretty sure all new copies are supposed to come with the Stone Prisoner DLC code.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Wrangling with Bioware's social site (which is still technically in beta) and figuring out which CD-Keys I actually needed to input to unlock the content I paid for when I ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition via Steam was the most aggravating thing I've had to do... in at least the last few years, thanks to confusingly labeled keys and the whole "Our site, you know, the one everyone has to use to redeem those codes? Yeah, it's totally still in Beta, ha ha!" tag team of frustration.

It strikes me that bundling codes with an entirely digital purchase I just bloody downloaded and cannot possibly resell so I can jump through hoops to redeem them and then get to download the extra content I already paid for by purchasing the Digital Deluxe edition... is retarded.

Oh well, at least I got it working in the end (and the content is totally worth it).

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
Look on the back of the Mass Effect 2 flier. Also see if there's a code on the Mass Effect 2 side.

Day 1 DLC doesn't bother me too much (although I too miss the days when these were called "patches", and think that the model used by The Witcher is much more admirable). What does concern me is that at one point when my Internet connection was a bit spotty the game refused to let me load a save that included DLC content (ie. all of them). I'm hoping that was just a temporary glitch and not The Way It Works; I haven't yet had a chance to run a full test on it.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
CD-R said:
AndyFromMonday said:
MarsProbe said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I got the normal version and mine came with a flier for Warhammer Online. On the back was the redemption code for Shale the golem. Also that Mass Effect 2 flier has a redemption code for Dragon Armor for both games. I think you should return your copy of Dragon Age becasue I'm pretty sure all new copies are supposed to come with the Stone Prisoner DLC code.
Whoops I was wrong, the code is on the back of the Mass Effect 2 Flier

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
CD-R said:
CD-R said:
AndyFromMonday said:
MarsProbe said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Whoops I was wrong, the code is on the back of the Mass Effect 2 Flier
I made that mistake, except the other way around. Didn't realise I had Blood Dragon armour until I'd finished one playthrough entirely.

It was okay though, I was playing a rogue so I didn't need it anyway \o/

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Nurb said:
dammit, this means more publishers are going to remove content for more releases and make more day-one DLC!
Raaaaage!
I share your anger (sorta). EA has been doing this kind of thing for years. I was sad when they bought Bioware, cause I knew this crap would happen. Take Dead Space for example. They sold like, 4 or 5 guns, armors, etc, at 1-2 dollars a pop (buy in bulk, and save a buck). Basicly, nickle and dime DLC on or very close to release is EAs method to making bank. The gaming industry is becoming a pile of sleeze.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Amnestic said:
Didn't realise I had Blood Dragon armour until I'd finished one playthrough entirely.

It was okay though, I was playing a rogue so I didn't need it anyway \o/
Alistar coulda used it! :) Or Big stoic guy (whos name I forget).

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
Firia said:
can this [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/12/2/] actually happen in the game?

(slight spoilers i guess)

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Moriarty said:
Firia said:
can this [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/12/2/] actually happen in the game?

Yes, it happened on my second playthrough. He fucked off with my Blood Dragon Armour. All of it. Ran off with a really good sword/shield combo as well.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Moriarty said:
Firia said:

I dunno. :) Didn't read that one. I'm avoiding all Dragon Age spoilers since I haven't beatten it yet. I lost my save data (long story, that), and had to start over. I just now caught up to where I was.