Dragon Age: Inquisition - 900p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dragon Age: Inquisition - 900p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

"We maximized the current potential of each platform," says Bioware.

Oh dear. I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about resolution news, but the timing of this latest update from Bioware as well as the wording of its announcement makes it a not-so-subtle jab at our friends over at Ubisoft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137955-Ubisoft-Responds-to-Anger-Over-900p-Assassins-Creed-Unity]. The company has just confirmed that its upcoming Dragon Age: Inquisition will run in full-HD 1080p on the PS4, but only 900p on the Xbox One. Bioware says that this is because it has "maximized the current potential of each platform."

If you haven't been following, what makes this announcement so snarky is the fact that Ubisoft recently announced that Assassin's Creed: Unity would run at 900p constrain its games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137874-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Will-Run-at-900p-Resolution-and-30-fps-on-Xbox-One-and-PS4] and that increasing the resolution above 900p on either platform would cause problems.

Then, here comes Bioware, very clearly announcing that the PS4 is capable of higher resolutions than the Xbox One, because it is a well-known fact [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/scienceandtech/hardware-reviews/10765-PS4-vs-Xbox-One-Comparison-Graphics-Specs-Differences] that it is a more powerful machine. What kind of topsy-turvy world do we live in where Electronic Arts is the one to come to the aid of truth and factual data?

Anyway, when Dragon Age: Inquisition releases next month, you can pick it up knowing that it will be taking full-advantage of your platform of choice.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/dragonage/status/520628704616407040]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
No, its 900 on each console the moment it's released. And 900 on PC. We've heard these stories before. EA, everyone, just cut the crap, don't actually tell anyone the resolution until it's released, but try to shoot for as high as possible. if you are caught in a lie people aren't going to be happy.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
You forgot the part where it'll be 4K on PC, and if it's not someone will hack the shit out of it until it is. Also 1080P vs 900P isn't really a deal breaker, 30fps is. I notice that they're deafeningly silent about the framerate... The PC port better be good EA.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
wow i think im going to have a heart attack over this non-surprise

MS really screwed up with this machine

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
I use to keep my gaming as a mix of console and PC... but this new generation of games is just pushing me more to PC simply because the performance will be better by default (...most of the time)

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
For all the shit EA pulls at least their games looks good... especially on PS4 #sunglasses

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Are developers really allowed to do this? Like blatantly turn to Ubisoft and go "Hey you guys suck!". I mean they deserve it, but this seems pretty direct. Looking forward to Inquisition and I'm one of those creepy weirdoes who doesn't mind 30 frames so either way I'm happy.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about resolution news
I'm not, cause I have no interest in either current gen console except PC.
I'd say only XBONE owners are sick of hearing this type of news/debate... and PS4 people probably get a smirk on every article in their favor ;)

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Shanahanapp said:
Are developers really allowed to do this? Like blatantly turn to Ubisoft and go "Hey you guys suck!". I mean they deserve it, but this seems pretty direct. Looking forward to Inquisition and I'm one of those creepy weirdoes who doesn't mind 30 frames so either way I'm happy.
Why not? Freedom of speech, clearly.
Plus, marketing...

The only reason they would not be 'allowed' would be to avoid pissing off Microsoft.
But as far as free speech laws are concerned you can say someone sucks in so many words, especially if you make clear it's your opinion. And in this case they never even mention Ubisoft at all, so... ;)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dragon Age shouldn't be about the pretty emoshuns on display!

It should be the story and the characters that matter! Not to forget the level design, which will hopefully better than Dragon Age II's!

That said however, I will be playing on PC anyway.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

It should be the story and the characters that matter! Not to forget the level design, which will hopefully better than Dragon Age II's!

Because it's gonna look badass on PC, right?

I really need a portable Kappa picture on this forum.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
Shanahanapp said:
Why not? Freedom of speech, clearly.
Plus, marketing...

The only reason they would not be 'allowed' would be to avoid pissing off Microsoft.
But as far as free speech laws are concerned you can say someone sucks in so many words, especially if you make clear it's your opinion. And in this case they never even mention Ubisoft at all, so... ;)
Well of course they're allowed. It's just I'm so used to the usual PR-Approved ultra-safe quotes from developers. It's unusual/refreshing to see BioWare basically sticking out it's tongue at Ubisoft.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Ferisar said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

Because it's gonna look badass on PC, right?

I really need a portable Kappa picture on this forum.
It will look however I want it to look, the point being that I'll choose how much I want to care about the graphics :p

Even if they ask for 3GB of VRAM(why? I have no idea. It's still Frostbite 3, so it shouldn't hog that much at high settings).

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
I'd say only XBONE owners are sick of hearing this type of news/debate... and PS4 people probably get a smirk on every article in their favor ;)
The thing is the Lamestation 4 owners act all smug about the tiny and barely perceptible differences (especially since their displays will not be of the quality to show those differences after upscaling anyway, because you know budget-midrange TN panel TVs...) over the Xbone but they get angry and defensive the instant PC gamers point out the much more significant increases of 1440p and 4K.

Pretty hilarious really.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
J Tyran said:
Kenjitsuka said:
The thing is the Lamestation 4 owners act all smug about the tiny and barely perceptible differences (especially since their displays will not be of the quality to show those differences after upscaling anyway, because you know budget-midrange TN panel TVs...) over the Xbone but they get angry and defensive the instant PC gamers point out the much more significant increases of 1440p and 4K.

Pretty hilarious really.
Because the whole two people who can run maxed new 4k res games can feel as smug as they feel like. It doesn't mean a whole lot, heh :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So what about the 360 and PS3 versions? Eh *rubs brow* can we please just release some good games without all this pointless bickering paaaleeease?? The original dragon age had a god awful framerate during most action, but it still didnt matter cos...shock horror...it was a great game, regardless. It had the brilliant writing that made it so definitive.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
J Tyran said:
The thing is the Lamestation 4 owners
Lamestation. Pure magic.

On topic - Yeah, not looking great for any of the consoles longevity, but less so for the XBOX. Can't even handle 1080p on a cross-platform game? Yeah, this is gonna be a short console generation. But, good on Bioware for not dragging the PS4 down for some weird attribute of artificial fairness like they're kids who need to get along. Hopefully this indicates that the PC port will be good.