Dragon Age: Inquisition - 900p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Even if they ask for 3GB of VRAM(why? I have no idea. It's still Frostbite 3, so it shouldn't hog that much at high settings).
Big old uncompressed texture files, much the same reason Titanfall and BF4 need masses of VRAM despite not looking particularly jaw dropping (although BF4 on ultra certainly has it's moments).

With the new consoles having 8GB of RAM on tap (well 5) devs are getting a lot more lazy on how they use textures, when you consider what Crysis did with 512MB it becomes particularly obvious.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
900p isn't a big deal to me.
I like the Xbox One as a system better than the PS4.
I don't need 1080p to enjoy a game, if I was obsessed about resolution I would play every game I own on my PC.

I am far more interested in the gameplay and story personally, the only spec thing which is of interest to me is framerate, something Bioware hasn't talked about yet to my knowledge.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Is resolution news ever going to get old? Jeez, it's the same bullshit all the time.

A group of people say "these new gens consoles should be able to run every game that way", another group says "HA, the PS4 is more powerful", another group says "PC has the best resolutions (but in another thread say graphics don't matter)", another group just talks about FPS and the smallest group says "who gives a fuck?".

Why is it that the over riding opinion is "gameplay>graphics" but people get REALLY SEVERE hemorrhoids over resolutions and FPS? You're playing with a box of magic (whether it is pc, ps4 or xbone) that provides near unlimited entertainment and you find some way to get pissy over it.

First world problems much?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
omega 616 said:
Yet here you are complaining about other people's opinions that you had no obligation to read or pay attention to. Sure it hard to live in the first world.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
Steven Bogos said:
I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about resolution news
I'm not, cause I have no interest in either current gen console except PC.
I'd say only XBONE owners are sick of hearing this type of news/debate... and PS4 people probably get a smirk on every article in their favor ;)
So one group is sick of hearing stuff they either don't care about or are sick of being let down, and the other group (well, actually many PC gamers get this too) gets another sip of the great drink of narcissism.

OT: I don't know if EA is telling the truth because it's EA, but props for pulling a Sony on Ubisoft, that was grand.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Denamic said:
omega 616 said:
Yet here you are complaining about other people's opinions that you had no obligation to read or pay attention to. Sure it hard to live in the first world.
No, it's every news source, every forum and about half of all conversations are either about sexualization or resolutions.

It's not like this is the first conversation about it and I have reacted, it's the billionth time in a year. All this started about the same time the PS4 and xbone where either announced or released.

It's like I don't watch the news or read news papers/sites but I sure as shit know about the people who have had their heads cut off by isis. Some shit you can't just escape from and with gamers, this is one of the biggest ones.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Why can't they just make it look fantastic on the PC and slightly downgraded on the consoles (due to hardware limitations) ?

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Bioware came forward on this one, not EA.

EA is still the mega-evil corporation of bastards we all know them to be, but Bioware is actually one of the few companies that still operates autonomous from EA for the majority of their decisions. So while advertising and distribution is handled by the bane of gaming known as EA, it is safe to say that Bioware actually stepped up and cock-slapped Ubisoft all by themselves.

P.S. I am actually excited about the new Dragon Age after I was left disappointed by how they tried to go from Strategy RPG to Button Mashing Action in Dragon Age 2.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Oh dear. I know you guys are probably sick of hearing about resolution news...
Surprisingly, less so that I thought I would be, even though I'm still undecided as to which console to get. But then again I'm probably sickening for the good old days when a console war actually meant something and you could tell instantly tell which game a console/home computer a given title was on just from its resolution and number of colours. These days you have to wait until a QTE comes on screen.

Having said that...

Revolutionary said:
Also 1080P vs 900P isn't really a deal breaker, 30fps is...
Really? I can understand this attitude for a racing game or even a FPS, but a mainly tactical RPG? Still, if the PS4 could do 60fps and the XBox only 30fps then that would tell us something.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Ferisar said:
J Tyran said:
Kenjitsuka said:
I'm not, cause I have no interest in either current gen console except PC.
I'd say only XBONE owners are sick of hearing this type of news/debate... and PS4 people probably get a smirk on every article in their favor ;)
The thing is the Lamestation 4 owners act all smug about the tiny and barely perceptible differences (especially since their displays will not be of the quality to show those differences after upscaling anyway, because you know budget-midrange TN panel TVs...) over the Xbone but they get angry and defensive the instant PC gamers point out the much more significant increases of 1440p and 4K.

Pretty hilarious really.
Because the whole two people who can run maxed new 4k res games can feel as smug as they feel like. It doesn't mean a whole lot, heh :p
Around a quarter of gamers run multi monitor setups in excess of 3840x1080, a significant number also game on the various resoloutions between 1920x1080 and full 4k with a variety of 16:10, 16.9 and newer 21:9 monitors (that are replacing traditional multiscreen setups with a single panel). The factor in all the people using downsampling (which new GPUs use natively now so while consoles are running out of pixels we have all the pixels and struggling to use them) and easily half or more of gamers are running higher native and effective resolutions than 1920x1080 and the trend is only increasing, so hold on to that false comfort that struggling to reach 1920x1080 isn't hopelessly obsolete as far as gaming is concerned.

Nov 28, 2007
SteewpidZombie said:
Bioware came forward on this one, not EA.

EA is still the mega-evil corporation of bastards we all know them to be, but Bioware is actually one of the few companies that still operates autonomous from EA for the majority of their decisions. So while advertising and distribution is handled by the bane of gaming known as EA, it is safe to say that Bioware actually stepped up and cock-slapped Ubisoft all by themselves.

P.S. I am actually excited about the new Dragon Age after I was left disappointed by how they tried to go from Strategy RPG to Button Mashing Action in Dragon Age 2.
That's only true when Bioware does good. When they mess up, it is because of EA. At least, that's the impression I get from this site's users at times. :p

OT: It is kind of interesting, hearing that the (initially) more expensive console was also the weaker of the two, between Xbone and PS4. This isn't the first time I've heard of the XBone holding back multiplatform powers.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
J Tyran said:
Around a quarter of gamers run multi monitor setups in excess of 3840x1080, a significant number also game on the various resoloutions between 1920x1080 and full 4k with a variety of 16:10, 16.9 and newer 21:9 monitors (that are replacing traditional multiscreen setups with a single panel). The factor in all the people using downsampling (which new GPUs use natively now so while consoles are running out of pixels we have all the pixels and struggling to use them) and easily half or more of gamers are running higher native and effective resolutions than 1920x1080 and the trend is only increasing, so hold on to that false comfort that struggling to reach 1920x1080 isn't hopelessly obsolete as far as gaming is concerned.
I don't have to hold on to anything, I'm on a PC :p I'm just not a huge piece of shit completely smug and dismissive when it comes to talking about it despite not owning either console.

Also, numbers stats etc etc.

EffectiveKill

Feb 22, 2010
SO this article has no actual useful information about the frame rate in dragon age 3? I don't get why gamers are now so obsessed with resolution and ignore frame rate, I'd much prefer to hear if this game can even hit 30 to 60 frames consistently throughout the game rather than read another click-bait article.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
These articles bring out the worst sort of smugness in a select portion of the pc gaming population, and a lamentable idiocy in a select portion of the console gaming population. PS4 res/fps v. XBOX1 res/fps; Console graphics v. PC graphics; niche gamer hobbyists v. casual consumer. Then it just festers- pc gaming sales v. console gaming sales, debates over software sales, debates over industry direction, all of it spiraling down into the depths of egocentric mania. Fuck the lot of it.

Someday soon, some bastard's going to step it up and invent a holodeck, and all of this will be moot. Until that day, enjoy your magic box in peace and proselytize for something more worthwhile than the latest source of recreational escapism.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
J Tyran said:
4k is utterly pointless, 1080p has already hit the point of being sharp and clean, can't get much more than that. I've seen 4k and it looked the same as 1080p until I walked right upto a huge TV then I could see it had no pixelation at which point I said "So I'll never be close enough to notice the difference.
Simple fact is that we don't need higher resolutions, dimminishing returns has made it pointless and a waste of money. They need to focus on the game's quality over everything else.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
RicoADF said:
J Tyran said:
4k is utterly pointless, 1080p has already hit the point of being sharp and clean, can't get much more than that. I've seen 4k and it looked the same as 1080p until I walked right upto a huge TV then I could see it had no pixelation at which point I said "So I'll never be close enough to notice the difference.
Simple fact is that we don't need higher resolutions, dimminishing returns has made it pointless and a waste of money. They need to focus on the game's quality over everything else.
You haven't seen full 4k content thats made for 4k with professional cameras or highly detailed textures built from the ground up, not being snarky here because most people haven't outside of tradeshow junkies. There are no real home sources yet and what content there is is generally just upscaled, the level of detail in genuine 4K content on a 4k panel is remarkable.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
RicoADF said:
4k is utterly pointless, 1080p has already hit the point of being sharp and clean, can't get much more than that.
We'll never need more than 256kB of memory either.

I've seen 4k and it looked the same as 1080p until I walked right upto a huge TV then I could see it had no pixelation at which point I said "So I'll never be close enough to notice the difference.
Unless you have a PC, which people generally sit a lot closer to than a TV. In any case, actual visible pixelation is irrelevant, there is a huge difference in picture quality well below the level at which your eye can resolve individual pixels. I can't find the nice explanation I found before, but a simple example is a white screen with a single black line one pixel wide. If you change a single pixel in the middle of the line to white, you will see it as a grey patch even when you're too far away to actually distinguish that white pixel. For things like colour perception and aliasing, high resolution is far more important than many people seem to think; it's not a simple matter of working out the resolution of the retina (or in Apple's case famously completely failing to do so) and then never going any better than that.

Simple fact is that we don't need higher resolutions
We don't need them, no. However, there can really be no question that PC versions of games that allow higher resolution and various other better graphics options usually look far better than console versions, so clearly there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Failsafe Operator

Mar 25, 2012
Just to clarify, I don't own a PS4 or XBONE.

1. It sounds like the PS4's hardware is slightly better than M$.

2. It sounds like Ubisoft is in bed with M$