Dragon Age Inquisition Banned in India due to Portrayal of Homosexuality

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
JMeganSnow said:
Apparently a ton of people in India who bought Dragon Age: Inquisition just got notices announcing that their purchase was canceled because the Indian government actually BANNED the game. According to people on the Bioware Forum, this ban was due to the positive portrayal of homosexuality in the game.

I don't know how huge the Indian market is, but this is just nuts. Many game developers pretend that LGBT folks don't even EXIST. It's sad to see one that goes that extra mile being penalized for it.
you know, THIS is actually worth fighting for

i can get behind defending the cause of DAI being unbanned in indie and indians player having the chance to play the game

i dont know how to help tough

brtt150

Nov 22, 2013
deathbydeath said:
Aerosteam said:
Well India is missing out.
That's up for debate. *rimshot*
8bitOwl said:
This is pretty horrible... banning the game because it has gay people.
Sometimes videogames, and their contents, and a nation's reaction to them, can say a lot about the current mindset in that place.
Or you know, the mindset of the legislators who banned it. But no, feel free to accuse an entire populace (including those who wanted to play the game) of being horrible terrible homophobes.
Homophobia is highly prevalent in India's populace.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/04/15/global-morality/table/homosexuality/

h@wke

May 2, 2011
Risingblade said:
Pr0 said:
Perhaps if DA:I had rape content as part of its design, India would have been okay with that.

Please don't flame me before you look up information in regards to rape culture in India. Thank you.
Well Origins did have rape in it, so maybe you're on to something.
Eh when was that like?

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
h@wke said:
Risingblade said:
Pr0 said:
Perhaps if DA:I had rape content as part of its design, India would have been okay with that.

Please don't flame me before you look up information in regards to rape culture in India. Thank you.
Eh when was that like?
Well the whole forcibly impregnated mutated darkspawn dwarf level? Thats the only bit that comes to mind.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
h@wke said:
Risingblade said:
Pr0 said:

Eh when was that like?
In the alienage elf origin your cousin gets raped and they had intended to rape the other girls (and you if you are female).

Edit: also the leader of the Dalish elves you recruit (who name I can't recall) reasons for why he cursed the humans involves his daughter committing suicide after finding out she was pregnant from rape.

h@wke

May 2, 2011
oh yeah those

Doesn't exactly put it in a positive light though which I think was the beef the Indians had here with the gay thing

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
h@wke said:
Risingblade said:
Pr0 said:

Eh when was that like?
City Elf, A noble's son crashes your wedding, makes off with most of the elven girls. Your arrive after they already raped your cousin, oh and some of the guards imply to having sex with one of the girls they just kills since she's still warm.

spathi-wa

Mar 20, 2012
I am Indian. My pre-order was refunded with a form letter by Amazon.

There are some misconceptions in this thread.

The Indian justice system does not ban homosexuals. It bans sexual relations ("homosexual acts") between same-sex partners. The mentioned section 377 specifically bans "intercourse against the order of nature". The section 377 was introduced under the British colonial justice system.

The Mughal empire did not enforce Islam on it's people. Religious freedom was one of the main reasons for the rapid spread and acceptance of the Mughal rule. Aurangzeb's attempt to enforce Islam across the Mughal empire was the primary driving force behind the fall of the Mughal empire.

Shariah law was never the primary justice system for any period of time in India during or before the Mughal empire. Non-muslims were tried in courts led by justices of their own religions. They also enjoyed protections under *tenets of shariah law, but were not subject to it. Muslims followed Shariah law, but were at the time, as they remain now, a minority religion in the local populace.

*Edit: typo tents->tenets

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
spathi-wa said:

The Indian justice system does not ban homosexuals. It bans sexual relations ("homosexual acts") between same-sex partners
This is not a difference recognized in western culture or law.

spathi-wa

Mar 20, 2012
More on this: http://www.mumbaimirror.com/mumbai/cover-story/Game-release-cancelled-over-gay-character/articleshow/45197190.cms

From the article said:
Electronic Arts issued the following official statement to its Origin users in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. "In order to avoid a breach of local content laws, EA has withdrawn Dragon Age: Inquisition from sale in India and the game is no longer available for pre-order. Customers who pre-ordered the game will be contacted directly and will be fully refunded."
So this is not a ban, it is some kind of (IMO ill-advised) pre-emptive voluntary withdrawal from the market by EA.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
DementedSheep said:
I'm curious, did they ban the other ones or did they not notice that you have had bi and gay people in bioware games before?
It could be more because the sex scenes in this game are FAR more explicit (Dorian alone has a bare shot of his ass that lingers) so I can get why that'd give the government pause.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Requia said:
spathi-wa said:

The Indian justice system does not ban homosexuals. It bans sexual relations ("homosexual acts") between same-sex partners
This is not a difference recognized in western culture or law.
More to the point: it makes no difference.
A man who really likes men, but doesn't do sex, is not a homosexual, but a virgin. The "sex" part in the word says it all.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
the amount of homosexuality in this game is over the top to the point it seems like in this fantasy world there are more homosexuals than heterosexual